• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Blasphemy and vows dont read if you have ocd

Kywy

May 21, 2017
USA
✟22,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a serious problem. I have a combination of vows and blasphemy. I feel like i have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. My situation is so confusing that i dont even know how to explain it. Pretty much i am having ocd thoughts of "if i do this, then (blasphemy of the Holy Spirit)" its like a trap that i dont know how to get out of.
If any of you know what counter vows are then you know why this is a problem when i make them.
Ex. Of counter vow:
"If i DONT do this, then blasphemy"

So pretty much i keep getting thoughts that if i do this thing thay i enjoy then i am saying the unpardonable sin according to this ocd.

A couple times i have tried to counter it and it just turned out being blasphemous any way. I was trying to make a protective vow to forse myself to do the thing i wanted, so its still blasphemy. This is like trying to deal with to ocd thoughts at the same time and trying to make sure you dont vow something away or blaspheme. Plz someone give input on what they think i should do.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Ik. I thought my thoughts couldnt get worse when i read the unparodnable sin in the bible

I was wrong

If you cannot control your thoughts ,you are not creating them.
It's not your thoughts that are redeemed it's your Spirit.
Rebuke the cause ,which is the evil that torments your mind.

God knows our afflictions and knows who we truly are in Spirit.
Just the fact you do not want it tells that it's not yours.
God Bless you with his peace.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seriously this is a horrible problem. I also keep getting urges to blaspheme even tho i dont want to. And i worry that i will have to give up the thing i enjoy to avoid blaspheming
Vows are not recommended in the new testament and the old testament vows were really limited by God to that of being sanctified (set apart for God) for the time of the vow. Numbers 6:2
You could perhaps vow to give up what you feel is blasphemas for a day per week or so. That may be a start toward self-control in the matter.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kywy, I feel your pain. Please know that this can and will get better. You may be having difficulty controlling your thoughts right now, but you can control your response to them. Your job is to respond to these thoughts as if they are OCD, EVEN IF right now you are not sure that they are. That's the catch with OCD - it always has an argument to convince us why our obsessions "might be real." Your obsessive mind is so smart that it will always find a way to one-up you. What you need to do is zap the strength of these threats by refusing to listen to them. Here are a few strategies that might help:
1. DO NOT give up your hobby. No matter how frightened you feel. In fact, if you can stand it, I would recommend purposely doing the hobby that you're afraid you need to give up, even if it's only for a few minutes at a time.
2. Recognize that this is OCD, and fight it like it is. Trust those of us who are looking from the outside in, and telling you that it is OCD. This is the crucial step that is excruciatingly hard to do if you have OCD. I've learned to tell myself, "I don't know for sure that this is OCD. My mind will try to keep me confused about it. BUT I can tell that it feels like OCD, so I'm going to assume it is and treat it like it is." For the obsessive person, this will probably take more courage than anything you have ever had to do before.
3. Don't try to force away your thoughts. That doesn't mean you agree with them - it just means that you're refusing to play into OCD's hands by reasoning with them. For example, if you feel like your brain says a blasphemy and/or a vow, tell yourself "OK, it feels like I did that. But I know that this is probably OCD. So, I'm not going to perform any compulsions - I'm not stopping my hobby, or asking for reassurance, or ruminating (reasoning), or countering it in any way." This is going to be incredibly painful. It's also the only way your mind will heal.

These things are all really hard to do, especially if you don't have a therapist. One strategy I've used is to trick my mind into letting myself fight OCD temporarily. I'll tell myself, "I don't know if this is the right way to fight OCD. But I'll try it for a day." Any amount of time you can resist compulsions will increase your power over OCD, so start even for five minutes if that's all you can do.

I know this has been a lot of advice, but believe me when I tell you that I KNOW how hard it can be. I also know that IT WORKS. Your mind wants you to be confused. That's the bottom line. Your OCD wants you to be confused, and in anguish. If it weren't this obsession bothering you, it would dream up something else for you to worry about. That's why you have to learn to say NO. To refuse to listen to the obsessive part of you that keeps goading you and taunting you, telling you "I know something that will make you afraid!" You have to look it in the eye and say, "No more. I refuse to be scared of you." Will your feelings change right away? Of course not. They've been trained to respond to obsessive fear. But if you control your actions - if you absolutely refuse to perform compulsions - your OCD will be a little taken aback. It will say, "Wait, what? Why aren't you freaking out like I want you to?" Then, as you persevere - as you keep resisting compulsions and allowing your thoughts (remember, it doesn't mean you agree with them, you just stop fighting them away!) the OCD will gradually grow quieter and quieter and your real mind - your clear, strong mind - will grow stronger and stronger, and one day, you will realize that you are no longer drowning in fear and confusion. It's a beautiful thing. It's an amazing thing. So fight. I challenge you to fight, with all the strength you have in you, even if it's not much right now. Keep asking questions, keep reaching out for support as needed. But fight this as OCD. If you want freedom, that's what it will take.

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have You ever thought of it as a blasphemous dog. Try Treat it like that. Tell the blasphemous evil dog to go away in the name of Jesus and not be a pest to You anymore. Then do not dwell on thinking on it, find things that are nice to think about. It might subside if it is not closely linked to Your hobby or other things close in Your life. Still You can fight it by concentrating on God and reading His word. But remember our environment shapes us to a degree. Wishing You all the best. I did hear a preacher say once, if You are honestly worried of having blasphemed against the Holy Spirit the chance is You have not done it. I understood it as those that do so have no worries or regrets left.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have You ever thought of it as a blasphemous dog. Try Treat it like that. Tell the blasphemous evil dog to go away in the name of Jesus and not be a pest to You anymore. Then do not dwell on thinking on it, find things that are nice to think about. It might subside if it is not closely linked to Your hobby or other things close in Your life. Still You can fight it by concentrating on God and reading His word. But remember our environment shapes us to a degree. Wishing You all the best. I did hear a preacher say once, if You are honestly worried of having blasphemed against the Holy Spirit the chance is You have not done it. I understood it as those that do so have no worries or regrets left.

The problem with the minds of people with OCD is that the more they try to fight an obsession, the stronger it becomes. For a person with OCD, it's not the blasphemous thoughts that are the problem, but the fact that the OCD wants him/her to dwell on something and be agitated about it. Thus, the key to overcoming it is not to "get rid of" the blasphemous thoughts, but to let the mind get accustomed to being agitated/anxious so it is not longer afraid of its own fear. It then eventually realizes that it never really wanted to blaspheme in the first place, it was just so terrified of blaspheming that it made itself think that it was blaspheming. Not trying to contradict what you said, just adding a caveat for those with OCD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
But two things stick out of the passage in the Bible for me:
All sins EXCEPT...
And "eternal sin"
I know i may never have confidence in my salvation again, i just hope thats not true
God knows your tribulation, just the fact you are regretful and here is enough that I know you are gonna be ok

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont think God will forgive me because i purposely thought the thoughts.

If You purposfully honestly ask for forgiveness I believe God can forgive Your sins. There are those people that do think their sins are some good deed that are trouble.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kywy, you're falling into the OCD trap of ruminating and asking for reassurance. There will ALWAYS be a "loophole" argument for why this isn't OCD. I stand by my original advice about fighting OCD, and encourage you to keep ignoring the new obsessive arguments that come up, instead of engaging with them. For every question you "solve," there will be another one to take its place! That's why you need to stop listening to the arguments/questions altogether. Easier said than done, I know. But I encourage you to persevere!

Upvote 0