Blade Runner

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was anyone, like me, stupid enough to see the new Blade Runner?
Yes, I saw it a couple of days ago. I'm still mulling over the philosophical implications and the possible inferences that were being made within the movie's scheme.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It had such a great cast that I was suckered into it. I should have known better. Great actors can't fix a bad screenplay, etc.

For me, many of the characters lacked the motivation to do what the screenplay was forcing them to do. Then, the music was overly loud superhero music that has no place in the Blade Runner world. The cinematography was horrible - just a lot of darkness. The original was dark as well, but it was used to highlight a very unique view of society. This time the darkness just hid a lack of visual design. Finally, the whole thing seemed like a lame setup for a Blade Runner meets Divergent franchise.

I'll be honest. I didn't like the original either, but that's a matter of taste. I can still appreciate the first one for the originality of the story, visual design, characterization, etc. I was just flat out disappointed with the sequel.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Was anyone, like me, stupid enough to see the new Blade Runner?
I liked it. It was it's own thing, though, so if anyone was expecting follow on from BR1, I can see why they'd be disappointed.

So hey, did everyone else get all the Kaspar Hauser references?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It had such a great cast that I was suckered into it. I should have known better. Great actors can't fix a bad screenplay, etc.

For me, many of the characters lacked the motivation to do what the screenplay was forcing them to do. Then, the music was overly loud superhero music that has no place in the Blade Runner world. The cinematography was horrible - just a lot of darkness. The original was dark as well, but it was used to highlight a very unique view of society. This time the darkness just hid a lack of visual design. Finally, the whole thing seemed like a lame setup for a Blade Runner meets Divergent franchise.

I'll be honest. I didn't like the original either, but that's a matter of taste. I can still appreciate the original for the originality of the story, visual design, characterization, etc. I was just flat out disappointed with the sequel.
The music was a reworking of the original BR Vangelis score. I didn't find it in the least "super hero-y", although it was done by Hans Zimmer, who has done few super hero type scores previously, so I guess you might be picking up some stylistic echoes.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...no, but I seemed to pick up on some ...*ahem*... "Blind Watchmaker" references. At least, that's what they seemed like to me.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'll be honest. I didn't like the original either, but that's a matter of taste. I can still appreciate the first one for the originality of the story, visual design, characterization, etc. I was just flat out disappointed with the sequel.

Yes, BR2 had a great cast. But like you, I was a bit underwhelmed by the more or less two dimensionality of the characters. ...and there seemed to me to be lighter on the 'action' and heavier on the existential angst...and the constant visual referral to artificial sexuality. But, whatever.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I missed that.

The music was a reworking of the original BR Vangelis score.

I'll have to put them side by side. I did notice elements of the old score, but to me they seemed lost in the rest of it. Maybe it held truer than I recall, but in the end the music took me out of the story rather than supporting it.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
... the constant visual referral to artificial sexuality ...

Yeah, it was overdone. I suppose the hologram girl was supposed to be a brilliant new cinematic element, but to me it seemed like a fascination with special effects at the expense of the story. If she's just a hologram, and you think about what that means with regard to what he's doing, it's just sadly pathetic self-gratification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, it was overdone. I suppose the hologram girl was supposed to be a brilliant new cinematic element, but to me it seemed like a fascination with special effects at the expense of the story. If she's just a hologram, and you think about what that means with regard to what he's doing, it's just sadly pathetic self-gratification.

...that, and I didn't really appreciate that the character of Wallace was visualized as a kind of "Jesus" figure, blind to boot, with a psychopathic tendency.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
...that, and I didn't really appreciate that the character of Wallace was visualized as a kind of "Jesus" figure, blind to boot, with a psychopathic tendency.

I checked out WRT Wallace. When the movie has to begin with a paragraph explaining who Wallace is, and then he doesn't show up until ... what ... an hour later. Ugh. I mean, the movie was almost 3 hr long, and they couldn't find a place to develop the character on screen?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...no, but I seemed to pick up on some ...*ahem*... "Blind Watchmaker" references. At least, that's what they seemed like to me.
The wooden horse, the fact K's name was "k", all the small enclosed spaces, the repetition of "cell"...

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll have to put them side by side. I did notice elements of the old score, but to me they seemed lost in the rest of it. Maybe it held truer than I recall, but in the end the music took me out of the story rather than supporting it.
I agree that on a modern digital surround sound system, the score was at times overwhelming. But then, maybe that was the point of it.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I think it' one of those movies you my need to watch few times to "get" all of.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The wooden horse, the fact K's name was "k", all the small enclosed spaces, the repetition of "cell"...

No. I'm referring to the scenes involving Wallace and his 'angels.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I checked out WRT Wallace. When the movie has to begin with a paragraph explaining who Wallace is, and then he doesn't show up until ... what ... an hour later. Ugh. I mean, the movie was almost 3 hr long, and they couldn't find a place to develop the character on screen?

I guess they figured they needed a character that makes more impact than Tyrell as a wanna-be 'creator' figure. Go figure. :yawn:

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would have liked a little more development of the Wallace character.

There's 3 short films that take place between BR 1 and BR 2049, which might cover some of tht stuff. Then again, they may not. I haven't seen them yet. there's links here, if you want to see them Official Discussion: Blade Runner 2049 [SPOILERS] • r/movies

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I guess they figured they needed a character that makes more impact than Tyrell as a wanna-be 'creator' figure. Go figure. :yawn:
I didn't get the blind watchmaker reference, I must say. Jarred Leto seems to be making a career of over egged, massively angsty for angst's sake characters, though.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It was the whole point of art. The difference between appearance and reality. Did she really love him, did she overcome her programming and develop "real" feelings? Or was she just doing exactly what she ws programmed to do, and saying what he wanted to hear in any given situation? Responding in a purely unconscious, deterministic way to given stimulus?

Solipsism. If you've read much K. Dick, it's kind of his thing.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. I'm referring to the scenes involving Wallace and his 'angels.'
No, the stuff I was talking about was the Kaspar Hauser references...

I didn't take Wallaces "Angel" references the way you did, but you my well be right, that it was all creation allegory.

I wonder if all the water imagery in the Tyrell pyramid plays into that?

Upvote 0