Black man pulled over and handcuffed for having "vegetation" on his car's window

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Police department slammed as racist after officers pull over black man for "vegetation" in car window

Nearly three minutes after the video begins, an officer approaches Samuel’s vehicle. “Hey, Mr. Samuel, what caught my attention was this vegetation stuff right here,” the officer said. The officer appears to pick up some sort of vegetation from the window seal, but it is not clear from the video what exactly it is.

“That’s tree stuff, man … that’s gotta be from a tree,” Samuel said to the officer. He added: “I don’t even smoke.”

The officer told Samuel to wait a few minutes while he placed the vegetation in an evidence bag. He then returned with another officer and demanded Samuel get out of the vehicle.

Samuel asked the officer to tell him why he was being asked to leave his car and said the officers needed to test the vegetation to prove it is nothing illegal.

“I ain’t gotta test it right now. I need you to step out for me,” the officer responded.

Samuel was then violently yanked from his vehicle and told that he was being detained. He was told that he was being detained so the officers could search the car. When Samuel argued that the officers needed a reason to search his vehicle, the officer responded that the vegetation was reason enough.
But let's just take a step back from the race issue (since it'll just be the same ol' people saying the same old thing back and forth).

How disappointing it is that a law enforcement officer cannot distinguish pot from any other plant in the world (unless, perhaps, he sprinkled oregano on the window)? If it was not enough to be able to distinguish it and it was outside the car, it just seems silly to then make an issue. Let the guy go...non?

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, I've encountered a few jerks too. I wouldn't be too quick to scream racism either. There have been a few accounts to come out recently where a black person said XYZ happened, only for the police to release the body cam and show they were lying to get attention. It's all about victimhood.
That seems to be happening a lot these days...sadly.

Upvote 0

Rukado

May 19, 2018
Joplin
✟17,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
But let's just take a step back from the race issue (since it'll just be the same ol' people saying the same old thing back and forth).

How disappointing it is that a law enforcement officer cannot distinguish pot from any other plant in the world (unless, perhaps, he sprinkled oregano on the window)? If it was not enough to be able to distinguish it and it was outside the car, it just seems silly to then make an issue. Let the guy go...non?

How disappointing that people side with dishonest racists who who say he was pulled over for having vegetation. He was pulled over for failure to signal.

How disappointing that people practice prejudice against the police and assume that cop should have instantly known from what pot looked like vs. something that may have been very similar.

How disappointing that the Left is full of hatred of white police and use this one officer, who may have made the correct decision, who may have made an honest mistake, or even if he was looking for an excuse to search the car, to use this one cop to tar all cops, and white people.

The Clinton party, Democrats, are the party of deplorable racists and bigots.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
How disappointing that people side with dishonest racists who who say he was pulled over for having vegetation. He was pulled over for failure to signal.

How disappointing that people practice prejudice against the police and assume that cop should have instantly known from what pot looked like vs. something that may have been very similar.

How disappointing that the Left is full of hatred of white police and use this one officer, who may have made the correct decision, who may have made an honest mistake, or even if he was looking for an excuse to search the car, to use this one cop to tar all cops, and white people.

What's disappointing is how much people will attempt to turn incompetence and racism into virtues. They seek to maintain the racial hierarchy and will actually promote such behavior from police. A police officer that can't adequately recognize a tree from a drug plant should not be a police officer. If this wasn't blatant incompetence or racism, then they would have tested the material to determine if it were drugs. If the failure to signal was the issue, they would have issued a warning or citation. If this was such a competent officer, these things would have occurred.

A competent officer would not handcuff and rough up a motorist for no reason. If there was a violation, a citation would have been written.

No, all we're seeing is the same old dance attempting to justify racism because supporting racist actions like this maintains the racial hierarchy some hold dear to: the idea that "those people" go there, and the "good people" go here.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A competent officer would not handcuff and rough up a motorist for no reason.
No reason? Perhaps you didn't see my replies positing that the driver was not complying with the police officer's lawful order. If you don't comply with an officer's lawful order - and I don't care what race you are - you're in for a world of hurt.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No reason? Perhaps you didn't see my replies positing that the driver was not complying with the police officer's lawful order. If you don't comply with an officer's lawful order - and I don't care what race you are - you're in for a world of hurt.
And that view is also wrong, not complying != okay to use violence

And it's not surprising to see such a response when a racist officer attempts to call a twig drugs to further harass during a traffic stop. And even if we accept the vegetation argument as legitimate, again we see the incompetence of an officer not arresting a person that was resisting and disobeying orders. If he was committing a traffic violation and further breaking the law, it should not have ended with him simply leaving with no citation, ticket or arrest.

However, being on camera certainly helps prevent such ridiculous actions from racist policing.

Upvote 0

Rukado

May 19, 2018
Joplin
✟17,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship

Yes, resisting police is a major no-no. But, the racist Left ignores resisting when blacks are engage in it. This black man who was pulled over for failing to signal was being uncooperative in the video. We can only guess how he treated the officer before the video started, when he was first pulled over. But, there's little doubt he was giving the officer a hard time.

The "vegetation" in the window could have looked like a pot crumb. And, the black punk's behavior isn't earning him the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, resisting police is a major no-no. But, the racist Left ignores resisting when blacks are engage in it. This black man who was pulled over for failing to signal was being uncooperative in the video. We can only guess how he treated the officer before the video started, when he was first pulled over. But, there's little doubt he was giving the officer a hard time.

The "vegetation" in the window could have looked like a pot crumb. And, the black punk's behavior isn't earning him the benefit of the doubt.
Black punk? Yeah, someone is showing their true colors.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,154,026.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Interesting article
The Disproportionate Risks of Driving While Black
Whilst it may be hard to say racism is to blame in individual cases, when you have a consistent pattern of African Americans being stopped, and searched at a far higher rate than other ethnicities, something is wrong.

An interesting quote from the article
“Here in North Carolina’s third-largest city, officers pulled over African-American drivers for traffic violations at a rate far out of proportion with their share of the local driving population. They used their discretion to search black drivers or their cars more than twice as often as white motorists — even though they found drugs and weapons significantly more often when the driver was white.”

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And that view is also wrong, not complying != okay to use violence

And it's not surprising to see such a response when a racist officer attempts to call a twig drugs to further harass during a traffic stop. And even if we accept the vegetation argument as legitimate, again we see the incompetence of an officer not arresting a person that was resisting and disobeying orders. If he was committing a traffic violation and further breaking the law, it should not have ended with him simply leaving with no citation, ticket or arrest.

However, being on camera certainly helps prevent such ridiculous actions from racist policing.
I'm not condoning violence. What I am saying is that if the driver had complied this whole thing would have likely blown over without incident. Why do you think so many of these videos (almost all, in fact) show the subject being non-compliant with the officer? (This is an honest question.)

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good luck. What we're dealing with here is that it's apparently OK to prejudge white police officers as racists, because, well, it just is. The irony is that we're seeing a classic example of prejudice by people claiming to be against that kind of thing...and calling themselves Christians no less.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Interesting article
The Disproportionate Risks of Driving While Black
Whilst it may be hard to say racism is to blame in individual cases, when you have a consistent pattern of African Americans being stopped, and searched at a far higher rate than other ethnicities, something is wrong.

An interesting quote from the article
“Here in North Carolina’s third-largest city, officers pulled over African-American drivers for traffic violations at a rate far out of proportion with their share of the local driving population. They used their discretion to search black drivers or their cars more than twice as often as white motorists — even though they found drugs and weapons significantly more often when the driver was white.”
This is consistent with the study in Kansas. It is also consistent with the findings in the DOJ reporrts. However, despite the clear profiling we get a focus on whether people are complying, which is really irrelevant. The people should not be stopped for bogus reason, so focusing on whether someone said sir or ma'am ignores the fact that they should not have been stopped in the first place.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Good luck. What we're dealing with here is that it's apparently OK to prejudge white police officers as racists, because, well, it just is. The irony is that we're seeing a classic example of prejudice by people claiming to be against that kind of thing...and calling themselves Christians no less.
Again, you're misusing vocabulary and using it to make a strawman argument. Observing behavior is by definition no prejudice, but if you want to equate that to acting based on skin color, then by all means, call everything prejudice because that's where your false argument takes you.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? Were you the officer who pulled him over? :yawn:

Racial profiling is still a big problem in America. Denying it does not help anyone.
Denying helps some live with it I guess.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, you're misusing vocabulary and using it to make a strawman argument. Observing behavior is by definition no prejudice, but if you want to equate that to acting based on skin color, then by all means, call everything prejudice because that's where your false argument takes you.
You're prejudging people's motivations for their behavior based on the motivations of others. That's prejudice anyway you slice it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well of course they do (we're talking about the extreme left, the racist left...not the mainstream left). They turned Michael Brown into a martyr with a false narrative that crumbled when the truth came to light that he was a thug who committed strong arm robbery, was stopped because he fit the description of the robber, and ended up being killed because he attacked the officer and tried to take his gun. The sad thing is, just like the Klan and skinheads of the extreme right, they feel their prejudice is perfectly valid and rational.

Sometimes the best thing we can do is heed Matthew 7:6 and just pray for them. :prayer:

• Agree
Reactions: Rukado
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're prejudging people's motivations for their behavior based on the motivations of others. That's prejudice anyway you slice it.
You asked about their behavior, putting motivation in bold changes nothing. :yawn:
My first three posts to you on this thread, posts 28, 30, and 33 (emphasis added). Please stop bearing false witness. Thanks.
I'm curious how assuming the motivations of a white police offer are racially motivated absent any actual proof of such is not racism.
And we're still waiting for proof that this stop was racially motivated. :sleep:

And your evidence that it was racially motivated is.....? :scratch:

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟371,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Come on guy! That's like saying cops don't have to be able to recognize a break and enter when they see one.

No. Read closer. The problem is that he was HANDCUFFED for it. Is it okay to handcuff someone for failure to signal in your world?
I'm left and I have no problem with the police or even (gasp) the "white police" (not sure what that is). I have a problem, given the amount of power and privilege given to police officers, with weak police work.

Upvote 0

Rukado

May 19, 2018
Joplin
✟17,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Come on guy! That's like saying cops don't have to be able to recognize a break and enter when they see one.

I don't know how much that "vegetation" looked like a pot crumb, but there is a standard of reasonableness. If it did look like pot, and given pot is illegal, it would have been unreasonable for the officer to not investigate.

No. Read closer. The problem is that he was HANDCUFFED for it. Is it okay to handcuff someone for failure to signal in your world?

He was handcuffed because he refused to get out of the car. Why do libs insist on misrepresenting the facts? If they can't get the facts right, what hope is there when it comes to reasoning?

I'm left and I have no problem with the police or even (gasp) the "white police" (not sure what that is). I have a problem, given the amount of power and privilege given to police officers, with weak police work.

I have a problem with blacks thinking it's okay to be racist and to not cooperate with police.

I'm also in favor of giving police less things to police, e.g. legalizing pot and decriminalizing all drugs. But, police can't be police without "power and privilege".

Upvote 0