Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The police were just doing their job but it shows the racial prejudice which is alive and well in the US. There have been a number of these type incidents in the news over the past year and they will most likely continue as long as people assume the worst about blacks or other people who are different from them.

Upvote 0

Thee Librarian

Jan 25, 2018
Chicago
✟16,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The police were just doing their job but it shows the racial prejudice which is alive and well in the US. There have been a number of these type incidents in the news over the past year and they will most likely continue as long as people assume the worst about blacks or other people who are different from them.
I've been accused of being a cop, while walking my bicycle a black neighborhood.
And that is considered an insult by them.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been accused of being a cop, while walking my bicycle a black neighborhood.
And that is considered an insult by them.
And, I pointed out "when people assume the worst about people different from them" but it is not an insult to most blacks. But, blacks aren't free from being racists.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
While I agree this was not a cop issue and totally "the caller" issue, I fail to see how telling strangers to take a flying leap actually does anything to make society better. The woman felt uncomfortable and instead of talking to ANYONE she called the cops.
Why not just let the stranger talk to your kids? You are right there, it's not like they aren't safe. I fail to see how blocking people out of your life is going to create connection and trust between people....

I'm big into freedom and liberty. I do not feel any obligation to appease strangers when their actions make me uncomfortable. I am simply not comfortable letting random strangers talk to children I am in charge of "if" said stranger gives me some weird vibe.

It is all about the manner in which things are done. What this lady could/should have done is simply approach the girl and say, "Wow, that is a nice shirt, where'd you get it? I'd love to buy my granddaughter a shirt like that... Oh, you don't know? Did your uncle here get it for you? Oh, he's not your uncle? He's your babysitter? Ok, sorry didn't mean to pry..."

Another thing the lady could have done is simply approach someone else at the Walmart / Subway while they were eating and ask the person "Hey, does that look suspicious to you? Do you think those kids are being kidnapped?"

Basically, there are a million different ways she could have gotten the information she needed or sought clarification or a second opinion without being offensive. But no. She didn't opt for that. She opted for doing things in a manner that would exert authority and racial superiority. And when she didn't get her way she then opted to call the police. This is something racist people do all that time. They use some pretense to exercise non-existent authority and then when rejected they call the police.

Now, if the children were crying or screaming or showing any signs of distress then that is one thing, but that was not even close to the case.

In any event, this story hits close to home for me. I'm a big black man and I used to work with kids of all races all the time-- tutoring them, mentoring them, babysitting them etc. This incident could have very easily been me.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My BIL had the police called on him at a grocery store because one of his kids pulled loose from his mother's hand and darted out into traffic. My BIL gave him one swat on the butt right there, and it almost cost him some time in jail.
I really hate the stance this country is taking on spanking children. It's like we are in this quasi half state about whether it is okay or not.

Personally, I feel that physical discipline, i.e. spanking, is an extremely important and necessary tool for disciplining and raising children.

As with any tool, it can be abused and I would never advocate abuse or misapplication.

I've spanked plenty of children who darted out into the street. And not one of them, ever did it again.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My BIL had the police called on him at a grocery store because one of his kids pulled loose from his mother's hand and darted out into traffic. My BIL gave him one swat on the butt right there, and it almost cost him some time in jail.
It's funny I hear about this . But I witness people whipping their child in public. But people tend to mind their business. And I live in a liberal area.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just wonder how ridiculous she must feel.She should get a ticket for false alarm.
I don't know if she felt "ridiculous" at all.

There has been another story on our local news where a white woman blocked the entrance to her apartment building to keep a black man from entering. He had lived in that building for several years. Some people have a difficult time with things like that.

Woman fired after blocking black man from his apartment building in video

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,612.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums