✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello,
Over the past few months, really more like 8 months now I have had a growing bitterness toward one of pastors. There is two reasons for this. First is the community group he leads, the second is over a discipleship/accountability group he used to lead that had me in it.

The community group is a group geared specifically for young adults, meaning those in college and early adulthood. You wont find many if any young adults in any of the other community groups. The group started last year and it consisted of me, my pastor, 2 other guys, and 7 girls. The pastor started the group with the strict plan of having it follow the discovery bible study questions They basically look like this:
564662ad9ff4edbs-method_(1).png

We followed this structure pretty religiously, and it worked pretty successfully. We went through Ephesians with and our numbers grew all the way to 28 people, and this was during covid last summer, and consisted of mostly people who were new to faith, so the fact that we achieved that was pretty amazing. We were the biggest community group in the church. Eventually my pastor included the question, "Initial observations" before any of the others. This acted as a good kind of warmup to the passage before jumping in, but overtime it became more and more of the study. Eventually it got to the point where we were not longer doing any of the actual questions, just going through initial observations for the entirety of the study.

Now it is at the point where they don't even discuss the passage they read. They'll read the passage and it will just kind of go all over the place and not even have anything to do with the passage. I cannot even describe how it goes because it is mostly just rambling and touching a million things at this point. I find it very unhelpful and hard to follow, I cannot even contribute because every person that says something, changes the entire direction of the study. I cannot see how this style would be beneficial to someone new to the faith and to scripture, or even someone who is older and wants depth like me.

I talked about these issues I was having with the other guys that were going, to see if they shared my frustrations, and they did. Three of us met with the pastor privately and laid it out. We told him how it was extremely hard to follow and we felt like we were not getting anything out of it, and that we wished he would go back to the discovery bible study structure, or at least some kind of structure. He crossed his arms and pouted and said "We'll everyone else likes it, so that's a YOU problem." I pointed out to him that there were several others who were not there that felt the same way, but we left that meeting with no real changes made.

After that it continued to decline. The group became mostly women. Sometimes there would be a guy come and visit, but he would usually only come once or twice. There was one guy who slept through it every week, and another that stopped going all together. This made the group more of a women's group that was lead by a male pastor. Sometimes the studies would become therapy sessions where one girl would talk about some life problem for a large part of the study, which has its place but just does not work when you have 20+ people there. Most people I talk to admit the study sucks and only go for the fellowship and smaller group prayer which are before the study.

At one point he said something in a study that really upset my girlfriend, and they had a meeting, and she wanted me there for support. To be honest, I think she was just being over emotional and took something he said out of context, but she shared the same frustrations as me and the issue with having no structure came up again. This time he told us that we should just not go to the bible study. He said that he had tried to add structure but it just did not work because people rejected. I do not recall him ever trying to reimplement the structure. It felt like a complete slap in the face. I was his right hand guy in a sense. When he was not able to lead, I would take over. I was older in the faith than almost everyone else who attended, and he threw my advice, thoughts and frustrations, right out the window. It was especially frustrating because most of the people that go do not go to church and so if I want to make friends my age, and meet people who visit, it has to be through that group, and I can't go. It has made me quite lonely as the guys who were with me in that group ended up moving away, which leaves me as one of the only single young adult guys at the church.

As far as the discipleship group goes, we had a group that he lead, with me and two other guys. We were going through the book, "discipleship essentials" by Greg Ogden, and we each had to go through the chapter each week and answer the questions ahead of time. This whole idea was our pastor's. Two weeks in, he lost his book and stopped doing the questions. He said he did not need to worry about it because he already knew everything.

We were supposed to do one chapter per week, but since our leader was not doing the chapters it became easier to just do accountability and prayer. Eventually it just stopped, he did not want to do it anymore because he was busy. I texted our group and asked if there was a time that would work better and he said that he was busy 24/7 which I don't know how is possible. Our group was all of the guys and there were no mixed groups, so I can't just join another. We only ended up doing 9 chapters out of 30 in the book.

I have this anger and bitterness against him that I just cannot seem to get over, and I know it is sinful and wrong to have and it makes me guilty of murder. I don't want it in my life. But every time i see him or hear of another discipleship group going super well I get heated.
I guess I just need prayer and advice to deal with this. Should I go to him again? Or Should I keep trying to push the anger I have down and get over it like some others I have talked to said? I don't know. Thanks in advance for any replies or prayers.
Grace and peace

• Prayers
Reactions: tturt

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Alas, Enrique, what you describe is what happens. I've seen it several times myself, almost exactly as you outlined except for the harsh response the minister gave you when it was brought to his attention. Frankly, I don't believe that these groups rank very high on the list of important duties in the estimation of a lot of pastors. They are supposed to do something for the young people, and this is a conventional way of going about it, so it is scheduled. For awhile.

My hope is that you'll be able to chalk it up to a regrettable development that is partly the consequence of the growth of the size of the group, and on the fact of there being a lack of males. None of that is someone's "fault." But try not to dwell on the disappointment you have over the pastor's behavior.

If you cannot do this, I'd suggest looking at another church that has a similar youth group and wouldn't mind a new member, even if he didn't belong to that congregation. This isn't too unusual and is often, in fact, welcomed by the new church. In a little while, it too may dissolve or your current church will develop some new ideas or the personnel get changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
... but overtime it became more and more of the study. Eventually it got to the point where we were not longer doing any of the actual questions, just going through initial observations for the entirety of the study...

I guess I just need prayer and advice to deal with this. Should I go to him again? Or Should I keep trying to push the anger I have down and get over it like some others I have talked to said? I don't know. Thanks in advance for any replies or prayers.
Grace and peace
I've had numerous pastor's and only a few of them seemed to be in a continual learning phase. Keeping the knowledge fresh so it doesn't become boring.

He was an average teacher and he has a limited amount to teach. I wouldn't go angry about it.

Reactions: EnriqueNye
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe you should start a men's or young males group?

It's maybe just a matter of opinion of mine, but when too many women get involved, "structure", or just about anything else even remotely related to it, goes right out the window a lot of time, etc, and becomes a feminine discussion group in which much of the discussions are not very much more at all different from that of the rest of the world, or the stuff in the world, etc...

Just my personal opinion though...

You know the old saying "cackling hens", etc...? Anyway, I can't handle very much of that, and have very little patience or tolerance for it, etc, big waste of everyone's time and pretty meaningless if you ask me, competition for who can be the center of attention the most, etc, or who can cry and whine the most about all their and everybody else's problems, and then have everyone else cry and whine and moan and sympathize the most about it, and it almost becomes a competition centered around all of this/that, etc...

That's not a Bible study, etc...

And in my opinion, is not at all very Godly either, or is very Godly "God time" either, etc...

And a big waste of everyone's time if you ask me, etc...

Which women in particular seem to want to do, or like to do a lot, etc...

Especially the younger ones, etc...

But hey, some say I'm too "misogynistic", or have been or am a bit "jaded" too much, etc, or am kind of "prejudice" maybe, etc...

And I'll just leave you to decide who is "right", etc...

"Go, go women power!"

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe you should start a men's or young males group?

It's maybe just a matter of opinion of mine, but when too many women get involved, "structure", or just about anything else even remotely related to it, goes right out the window a lot of time, etc, and becomes a feminine discussion group in which much of the discussions are not very much more at all different from that of the rest of the world, or the stuff in the world, etc...

Just my personal opinion though...

You know the old saying "cackling hens", etc...? Anyway, I can't handle very much of that, and have very little patience or tolerance for it, etc, big waste of everyone's time and pretty meaningless if you ask me, competition for who can be the center of attention the most, etc, or who can cry and whine the most about all their and everybody else's problems, and then have everyone else cry and whine and moan and sympathize the most about it, and it almost becomes a competition centered around all of this/that, etc...

That's not a Bible study, etc...

And in my opinion, is not at all very Godly either, or is very Godly "God time" either, etc...

And a big waste of everyone's time if you ask me, etc...

Which women in particular seem to want to do, or like to do a lot, etc...

Especially the younger ones, etc...

But hey, some say I'm too "misogynistic", or have been or am a bit "jaded" too much, etc, or am kind of "prejudice" maybe, etc...

And I'll just leave you to decide who is "right", etc...

"Go, go women power!"

God Bless!
As I have to wonder, if it was almost all men, or all male, if this ever would have even happened, etc...?

God Bless!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
First off, forgive him for the mistakes he made in letting it go down that way. Let go of your bitterness towards him, now think of what you can do in a way to help the group, i think your continuous presence might help encourage him and other men as well to join the group in future. Your prayers as well, will help too, pray for the Holy Spirit to bring structure and love back in the group. You can go back to your Pastor with suggestions but be gentle and encourage him, God bless

• Useful
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I have this anger and bitterness against him that I just cannot seem to get over, and I know it is sinful and wrong to have and it makes me guilty of murder. I don't want it in my life. But every time i see him or hear of another discipleship group going super well I get heated.
Grace and peace

All groups go through struggles and it is good to get some fresh ideas, to break up a group and restart and other things to keep it going.

So personally, it sounds like the group has had its day. From the small groups I have been a part of and the ones that I have led, the maximum number of people is about 12 in one group and as soon as it peaks you should be looking at splitting into two... so the fact that this group got to 28 is where it went wrong... it became a church in its own right and that is a dangerous thing, particularly if most of the participants are not accountable to the church as a whole.

I don't know if the pastor you are talking about is the only pastor of the church or if there is some kind of denominational structure involved with regional 'bishops' or 'overseers' but if you can escalate you should do so.

Alternatively you should consider setting up your own group using the structure you liked (which looks good to me). Invite people of a similar mind, but also with the long term goal of splitting the group into two and expanding (the cell group model).

As for the other group, the same thing is true - carry on without him.

If you are reliant on your pastor for everything you are putting him on a pedestal and exalting him above his station. Better to be grounded in reality than being driven by every wave of doubt.

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just a heads up. It's not about what others are doing for God ... or not. It's not about how others fall short ... or not. This is about you. I have been in ministry in churches where the people all focused on what was not being done, how things weren't working ... and was asked to take over a bible study. Here's how I handled that.

The person states the problem, short coming, how things should be changed...

Me: "Thank God that you are here and that He placed that on your heart. How are you going to make that situation better for Him?"

Them: "What ... Who? You mean me? I'm no pastor..."

Me: "God laid this on your heart. This is your area to serve. This is a problem He wants you personally to work to solve. How can you fix, or help fix the situation He has put so strongly in your heart."

At this point I either got ministry help, or the person shut up and never mentioned anything again. I built a great team this way. It's not about the pastor. It's about God's work. It's not about me whether I am the lead pastor or just a grunt nobody even knows. I see a problem, I offer to help. If leadership won't get out of the way to let me serve as God has commanded me to do and as He has laid it on my heart, I start my own ministry to all those in need.

You cannot change anyone else. You cannot fix anyone else. This is about you. What can you do with what God has put on your heart to do the most for the kingdom of God?

1.) Write up a plan to fix things.
2.) Get the opinions of all the other people that you plan on interacting with.
3.) Go to your leadership with the plan understanding that you are probably going to end up in charge.
4.) Get their input. What will work, what won't, why, possible fixes ...
5.) I have been in places where they just shut the people who bring up issues and present possible solutions down not being open to anything. At that point in time, I state: "God laid this on my heart. I need to serve Him.

Paul had disagreements that led to the splitting of ministries and it magnified the scope of His work. If you can't do it in your local body, start your own church. A church is just a gathering of people. Gather in your homes, gather at someone's place of business, ask if you can have a room at your current church, or go to another one to see if you can run your ministry from there.

Also, don't make the same mistakes ... make new ones. That means you are growing. But talk to the people in your "congregation" about the problems and ask for help in solving them and in meeting the needs of the rest of the body. If you are a mouth, do the mouth's job. If you are a hand, get to the "handy" work. Tell everyone that this is God's ministry they are a part of and it is their responsibility, not yours to make God's ministry work the way it should, and that if you do not have their participation that the whole ministry will suffer.

I thank God that He has laid this on your heart. Now get to work.

Upvote 0

EnriqueNye

Sep 11, 2019
East Coast
✟15,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Just a heads up. It's not about what others are doing for God ... or not. It's not about how others fall short ... or not. This is about you. I have been in ministry in churches where the people all focused on what was not being done, how things weren't working ... and was asked to take over a bible study. Here's how I handled that.

The person states the problem, short coming, how things should be changed...

Me: "Thank God that you are here and that He placed that on your heart. How are you going to make that situation better for Him?"

Them: "What ... Who? You mean me? I'm no pastor..."

Me: "God laid this on your heart. This is your area to serve. This is a problem He wants you personally to work to solve. How can you fix, or help fix the situation He has put so strongly in your heart."

At this point I either got ministry help, or the person shut up and never mentioned anything again. I built a great team this way. It's not about the pastor. It's about God's work. It's not about me whether I am the lead pastor or just a grunt nobody even knows. I see a problem, I offer to help. If leadership won't get out of the way to let me serve as God has commanded me to do and as He has laid it on my heart, I start my own ministry to all those in need.

You cannot change anyone else. You cannot fix anyone else. This is about you. What can you do with what God has put on your heart to do the most for the kingdom of God?

1.) Write up a plan to fix things.
2.) Get the opinions of all the other people that you plan on interacting with.
3.) Go to your leadership with the plan understanding that you are probably going to end up in charge.
4.) Get their input. What will work, what won't, why, possible fixes ...
5.) I have been in places where they just shut the people who bring up issues and present possible solutions down not being open to anything. At that point in time, I state: "God laid this on my heart. I need to serve Him.

Paul had disagreements that led to the splitting of ministries and it magnified the scope of His work. If you can't do it in your local body, start your own church. A church is just a gathering of people. Gather in your homes, gather at someone's place of business, ask if you can have a room at your current church, or go to another one to see if you can run your ministry from there.

Also, don't make the same mistakes ... make new ones. That means you are growing. But talk to the people in your "congregation" about the problems and ask for help in solving them and in meeting the needs of the rest of the body. If you are a mouth, do the mouth's job. If you are a hand, get to the "handy" work. Tell everyone that this is God's ministry they are a part of and it is their responsibility, not yours to make God's ministry work the way it should, and that if you do not have their participation that the whole ministry will suffer.

I thank God that He has laid this on your heart. Now get to work.

Thanks! That is definitely a proactive way of looking at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But every time i see him or hear of another discipleship group going super well I get heated.
I guess I just need prayer and advice to deal with this. Should I go to him again? Or Should I keep trying to push the anger I have down and get over it like some others I have talked to said? I don't know

If there are other groups that are going well ask if you can join.
Your reason for joining, you want to grow and that isn't happening in the ladies therapy group you have left.
If you are not allowed to join another group ask why and expect a detailed response.

As for the pastor's lack of pastoral skills, commit him, the situation and your feelings to God.
Ask God to deal with him and with you and leave it with God.

Your main alternative is to start up a men's Bible study with the occasional bring a lady night.
On a petti legal see if your structured Bible study attracts more men/people than the ladies therapy night?

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks! That is definitely a proactive way of looking at it.

My friend, and brother, how do you think God motivates people to get things done. They see the need. They see God's commands. they see that more is needed and God lays it on their hearts to get it done.

Whatever I can do to help, you let me know. Been there. Done this ... still doing it. If you can work through existing channels / ministry / your current church, do it. If not, do it yourself. God is in this. Watch Him work.

But you need to step out in faith and remove your ego from the equation.... as does every other person seeking to live as Christ commands.

• Winner
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
and becomes a feminine discussion group in which much of the discussions are not very much more at all different from that of the rest of the world, or the stuff in the world, etc...

It's funny you say that. The singles forum is primarily comprised of men. Guess what they talk about? Or who does most of the emoting?

I think it's fair to say that expression isn't limited to one group. Nor is over emotionalism restricted to one sex. To suggest a gathering of men equals structure or levelheadedness is a stretch. We have many examples within our midst that show otherwise.

A group is only as good as its components. Good leaders know this. They bring out the best in their people. The OP is hindered by poor leadership and an absence of personal responsibility by the pastor. Hopefully he won't allow it to derail him.

~bella

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's funny you say that. The singles forum is primarily comprised of men. Guess what they talk about? Or who does most of the emoting?

I think it's fair to say that expression isn't limited to one group. Nor is over emotionalism restricted to one sex. To suggest a gathering of men equals structure or levelheadedness is a stretch. We have many examples within our midst that show otherwise.

A group is only as good as its components. Good leaders know this. They bring out the best in their people. The OP is hindered by poor leadership and an absence of personal responsibility by the pastor. Hopefully he won't allow it to derail him.

~bella
Well, you are maybe one of the most level-headed females I know of right now, etc...

Maybe it's just the ones I seem to always run across or run into maybe, etc...?

And some of the females on here mostly also seem different from what I know of mostly also, so maybe you have a point there as well, etc...

Or maybe it's the area where I live maybe, IDK, etc...?

Anyway, didn't mean to offend, but you in particular @bèlla seem to one of the most level headed females I know, etc, if that means anything to you, etc...

Peace

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It's just that, at least where I am and live, and with the examples I see, or have been shown, etc, I just quite literally cannot tolerate a lot of the females anymore, and all of their "nonsense", etc, (and that's putting it mildly/nicely, as I cannot use other words on here, etc), but and/or anyway, but I also think the males that follow them are sometimes just as bad as they are also, and may be just as much to blame also, etc, and I guess I just don't have much tolerance or patience for "any of it at all anymore", etc, and maybe that is "showing", etc, and if that's case, and it just might be, then I 100% sincerely apologize, etc, OK...

I just want to "wring all of their necks sometimes", etc, Lol...

"Stop the insanity" kind of thing sometimes I guess, etc, Lol...

Anyway,

Peace

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, you are maybe one of the most level-headed females I know of right now, etc...

Thank you for the compliment. :)

I'm not alone in the possession of levelheadedness and grounding. There's others like me. You'll find them amongst my sex and yours.

Maybe it's just the ones I seem to always run across or run into maybe, etc...?

And some of the females on here mostly also seem different from what I know of mostly also, so maybe you have a point there as well, etc...

Or maybe it's the area where I live maybe, IDK, etc...?

Our experiences can shape our outlook for good or bad. But we can't succumb to generalities that disparage others. There must be evenhandedness. If you've noticed poor behavior it's fine to acknowledge it. But to levy the ax as you have without recognizing you've seen the same in men is questionable. It lends the impression of bias or something worse.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend, but you in particular @bèlla seem to one of the most level headed females I know, etc, if that means anything to you, etc...

I wasn't offended by your comments. But it seemed hypocritical in light of the climate. I was in the forum when women had a greater presence. The majority spoke like me.

It's just that, at least where I am and live, and with the examples I see, or have been shown, etc, I just quite literally cannot tolerate a lot of the females anymore, and all of their "nonsense", etc, (and that's putting it mildly/nicely, as I cannot use other words on here, etc),

The people you've encountered aren't the whole. I'm curious how you stomach women in the church. And why you feel it's acceptable to maintain that stance in light of your faith.

but and/or anyway, but I also think the males that follow them are sometimes just as bad as they are also, and may be just as much to blame also, etc, and I guess

You suggest an absence of levelheadness and frequent displays of nonsense while attributing missteps and mimicry to them as well. Which is it? If she's a simpleton how does she lead him astray? And why does he lack the capacity to resist and take a different course?

We do ourselves a disservice when we allow negative events to become our compass. You can't camouflage a wound or bandage it with rhetoric. You have to face it.

~bella

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank you for the compliment. :)

I'm not alone in the possession of levelheadedness and grounding. There's others like me. You'll find them amongst my sex and yours.

Our experiences can shape our outlook for good or bad. But we can't succumb to generalities that disparage others. There must be evenhandedness. If you've noticed poor behavior it's fine to acknowledge it. But to levy the ax as you have without recognizing you've seen the same in men is questionable. It lends the impression of bias or something worse.

I wasn't offended by your comments. But it seemed hypocritical in light of the climate. I was in the forum when women had a greater presence. The majority spoke like me.

The people you've encountered aren't the whole. I'm curious how you stomach women in the church. And why you feel it's acceptable to maintain that stance in light of your faith.

You suggest an absence of levelheadness and frequent displays of nonsense while attributing missteps and mimicry to them as well. Which is it? If she's a simpleton how does she lead him astray? And why does he lack the capacity to resist and take a different course?

We do ourselves a disservice when we allow negative events to become our compass. You can't camouflage a wound or bandage it with rhetoric. You have to face it.

~bella
Have you ever heard of MGTOW on YouTube?

Because they can explain it much much better than I can, etc, and they're not really prejudice, but just explain it how it is, etc...

And I wish it weren't that way, but in most cases, it just is...

And I'm a "man going my own way" this day and age most especially because of it, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Have you ever heard of MGTOW on YouTube?

Yes, I’m aware of MGTOW and related subjects.

And I'm a "man going my own way" this day and age most especially because of it, etc...

You can opt for singleness and celibacy without subscribing to their ideals.

~bella

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You can opt for singleness and celibacy without subscribing to their ideals.
~bella

Well, I don't subscribe to "all their ideals", but they speak a lot of truth I believe about men and women and society, and men and women and society and their relationships today in most especially modern day society today, etc, but I don't want to be "anti-women", etc, and if anything right now I am against them "both", etc, and just want to be kind of "separate from it" and go and/or make my own way apart from all of it, etc...

It quite literally drives me crazy sometimes, etc...

Both of them do, etc, both sexes all caught up in this, etc, which I believe is a big fat lie, etc, and maybe one of the biggest lies ever told maybe, etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0