• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bitter over Parents

vlisco

May 17, 2017
london
✟22,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello friends,
I am an introvert and often unable to voice out my concerns when offended. This makes me so bitter. I react by staying away from offenders: like not picking up some calls or talking to them regularly.
Now I am very bitter towards my parents over some issues and although these issues are not very recent, recalling them is so painful and I feel that they will repeat if I don't address them..
How do i get off the feeling of bitterness I have towards my parents..i havent picked up their calls for a while now..and they dont know its because of something they have done in the past which hasnt been addressed..
please how do i stop recalling such painful things and move on...ave tried but such feelings keep playing in my mind and makes me feel bitter the more towards them.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

The worst thing you can do is to run away from it. It's one of the fastest ways to feed anxiety and by running away you literally distance yourself further from resolving it.

Your best bet -- and this isn't to say it's easy -- is to confront your parents and be open with them about their past comments or actions and how they've made you feel. If they're argumentative types of people then you can add that they can take or leave it, but it's off your chest and the ball is in their court. Either it'll resolve the problems with your parents or you'll have closure knowing you've done all you can.

Upvote 0

Chance7

Jan 18, 2018
Northern Cambria
✟23,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello friends,
I am an introvert and often unable to voice out my concerns when offended. This makes me so bitter. I react by staying away from offenders: like not picking up some calls or talking to them regularly.
Now I am very bitter towards my parents over some issues and although these issues are not very recent, recalling them is so painful and I feel that they will repeat if I don't address them..
How do i get off the feeling of bitterness I have towards my parents..i havent picked up their calls for a while now..and they dont know its because of something they have done in the past which hasnt been addressed..
please how do i stop recalling such painful things and move on...ave tried but such feelings keep playing in my mind and makes me feel bitter the more towards them.
Hi, listen, I understand how you feel. I’ve been in the same boat. I tend to run from my problems too. But that’s one of the worst things you can do. There’s a reason Jesus to,d us to forgive people. Because if we hold it in, we are just keeping all the pain in and letting it build up. The best thing you can do is just “forgive and forget”. But don’t leave the pain in you. Find a trusted friend or someone in your life and be honest with them(you can talk to me about it if you like)and just get it all off your chest. I know how bitterness can affect you. It’s really a horrible feeling. Just make sure you try to forgive them and let go of the pent up bitterness towards them. It really makes you more mature and helps you grow. It’s one of Satan’s tricks to make you recall bad memories and keep you bummed out. Just try to let go and you will probably be much happier! Good luck!

Upvote 0