✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What do you make of this ?

I just came across the Bishop of Truro’s Report, Support for Persecuted Christians, via MP Jeremy Hunt during the recent debate for the UK's next Prime Minister. -- Hunt, surprisingly, is a self-professing Christian (Church of England) and he made quite a point about Christian persecution towards the end of his debate, and the crowd actually cheered some of his points pro-conservatism.

Quote: "80% of the people who are around the world who were persecuted for their faith are Christians and we sometimes think of Christians as white Western affluent people but actually these are some of the poorest people in the world for whom the simple act of going to church is taking a risk with your safety or even your life and I think we've had a blind spot in British foreign policy maybe for reasons of political correctness because of the Empire or our embarrassment about talking about religion as we should, so I commissioned the Bishop of Truro to do an independent report into what more we can do. He published that the week before last, it's an excellent report and as Prime Minister I will implement all of his recommendations."

See 2:24:00 on The Guardian (17 Jul 2019), Boris Johnson & Jeremy Hunt Debate (
).

Link to report: An 'Independent Review for the Foreign Secretary of FCO Support for Persecuted Christians',
Interim Report | Christian Persecution Review

The report however paints a grim picture and seems more rhetorical than objective.

Truro writes, "the persecution of Christians is today worse than at any time in history" and that, "evidence shows not only the geographic spread of anti-Christian persecution, but also its increasing severity. In some regions, the level and nature of persecution is arguably coming close to meeting the international definition of genocide".

Here in Australia, with practically no protections for Christians, and hardly any MPs or public leaders who speak on behalf of Christians and Scripture itself, Hunt's intentions come as a surprise. Refreshing and optimistic, if true. Revolutionary even in world politics, post-reformation. - A report like this sets quite the precedence. I remain skeptical though.

What do you think ?

• Informative
Reactions: Ophiolite