Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Recently, Cardinal Roger Mahony ordered Bishop Geoffrey Robinson to not speak AT ANY CHURCH sites within the Diocese of Los Angeles. Bishop Robinson has written a very important book titled Confronting Power and Sex in the Catholic Church: Reclaiming the Power of Jesus. I have just purchased this book online and will be reviewing it here in support of Bishop Robinson.
Pope B16 has admitted numerous times after years of silence how bad the sexual abuse crisis has been handled. One would hope that even though this is small gesture in light of the pain and destruction the crisis has caused, that perhaps there might be open dialog and honest discussion about why the crisis happened and what we can do about. In this light, what Cardinal Mahoney has done is reprehensible.
We should support such courageous and stalwart Catholics as Bishop Robinson and what we must recognize is what Cardinal Mahony has done is deeply harm the Church.
Please keep Bishop Robinson in your prayer and pray for leadership and the ascendancy of the laity so that this crisis is solved.

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
This is Cardinal Mahonney's letter:

Dear Bishop Robinson:

I am writing once again in reference to your planned speaking engagement in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles on June 12, 2008.
Your letter informing me of your coming appearance made it clear that you were not seeking my permission or approval, that you were planning to come regardless.

Since your communication, I have come to learn that your new book is being investigated by the Australian Bishops' Conference because of concerns about doctrinal errors and other statements in the book contrary to Church teaching.

I have also learned that His Eminence, Cardinal Giovanni Battista Re, the Prefect for the Congregation of Bishops, has urged you to cancel your visit to the United States.

Consequently, I am hereby requesting that you cancel your visit to the Archdiocese of Los Angeles now set for June 12, 2008. Canon 763 makes it clear that the Diocesan Bishop must safeguard the preaching of God's Word and the teachings of the Church in his own Diocese. Under the provisions of Canon 763, I hereby deny you permission to speak in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

As a brother Bishop, I would urge you to cancel the entire speaking tour and to work closely with your own Bishops' Conference on their investigations. I would surely expect you to follow exactly their recommendations in this matter.

With every best wish, I am
Sincerely yours in Christ,
His Eminence
Cardinal Roger M. Mahony
Archbishop of Los Angeles

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Bishop Robinson's response to the Australian Bishops:

The statement of the Australian bishops is not unexpected, but it is disappointing. My book is about the response to the revelations of sexual abuse within the church. Sexual abuse is all about power and sex, so it is surely reasonable to ask questions about power and sex in the church.

In their statement, the bishops appear to be saying that, in seeking to respond to abuse, we may investigate all other factors contributing to abuse, but we may not ask questions concerning ways in which teachings, laws, and attitudes concerning power and sex within the church may have contributed.

This imposes impossible restrictions on any serious and objective study, and it is where I have broken from the Bishops Conference. We must be free to follow the argument wherever it leads.

Bishop Geoffrey Robinson
15th May 2008

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is one truth. Christ is the Truth.

If the bishop is speaking the truth and revealing the atrocities being committed by unscrupulous clergy and laity, then his book should be allowed.

However, there have been books, even books written to protect sinless people like Saint Padre Pio where too much is revealed and that can lead to temptation, sin, and scandal.

It takes a balanced person to present the honest truth in love and to know how much to present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
There is one truth. Christ is the Truth.

If the bishop is speaking the truth and revealing the atrocities being committed by unscrupulous clergy and laity, then his book should be allowed.

However, there have been books, even books written to protect sinless people like Saint Padre Pio where too much is revealed and that can lead to temptation, sin, and scandal.

It takes a balanced person to present the truth in love.

Maria: I would hope that you have come here with love in mind...so do we elevate and hope that the love of others' works are recognized.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course, I come here in love and peace.

I have posted in this forum before with no problems and no agenda.

I'm so sorry...tell us your interest in the sexual abuse crisis and as it portends a major reckoning within the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
It is by the authority of the Church that we know that sexual abuse is in fact a grave sin against God and neighbor. In fact, we know it infallibly to be true that such sexual disorder is completely contrary to divine love because such truth has been handed down by the successors of the Apostles. Such practices were normal in pagan Greek and Roman culture and are supported as normal by vain reasonings even by perverse organizations today. It is Christ who showed the true nature of love, and taught the true expression of humanity both spiritually and in the flesh.

It is also Catholic truth that those who commit such crimes against God and neighbor, especially the most vulnerable, should do penance--be it imposed by the state for the Church (prison time in a cell at a penitentiary) or by the pastors of the Church (penance in a cell in a monastary) and we hope that this penance will bring about the conversion of heart that will bring them to eternal salvation.

Likewise, our hope is not in the weaknesses of fallen men, but in Christ the just judge. When pastors or the state neglect their duties to impose such punishments to grievous sinners, we know justice will be served by the Supreme Pastor, who will judge everyone according to their works.

But sadly, this bishop, in his desire to fix things, has put in danger the very foundation of those things that are necessary to deal with this crisis properly--that is the authority of Jesus Christ Himself. His brother bishops see this and in love are calling out to him and the faithful.

If our faith was only in men, we would surely fall into despair when hearing of such occurrences. But our faith is in Him, true God and true man, and we know by faith--the faith we have received from the Apostles through their successors--that there is a possibility of true spiritual healing for those who suffer, redemption for those who weep over their sins, and justice for those who do not.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry...tell us your interest in the sexual abuse crisis and as it portends a major reckoning within the Church.

I would like to know more about Robinson plans to straighten out the sexual abuse crisis in the Catholic Church, his beliefs about married priests, and his thoughts on papal powers and papal infallibility. All of those were covered in his book, right?

Upvote 0

Tube Socks Dude

May 10, 2005
✟17,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is by the authority of the Church that we know that sexual abuse is in fact a grave sin against God and neighbor.

The truth is that sexual abuse is wrong. The Church has the authority to proclaim such truth. However, sexual abuse would still be wrong whether the Church proclaims it or not. Cover-ups happen when those in authority forget that authority does not produce truth, but rather truth produces authority. Authority should protect truth for truth's sake, not protect authority for authority's sake.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.