Feb 2, 2009
✟7,776.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure there are Anglicans who oppose birth control, though I personally don't know any (I travel in very liberal circles, though). In Anglicanism you can find about any stance on these kinds of issues.

I have never run into an Episcopalians (I am in TEC) who oppose birth control.

Upvote 0

marciebaby

Feb 14, 2005
St Louis, MO
✟16,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I must admit that I'm not too terribly surprised. My husband and I are expecting our 5th, and you wouldn't believe the comments we've gotten from people at church! It's not like we go around demanding other couples to throw out their contraceptives, this is just our own personal choice.

We travel lots, and I always kind of keep an eye out to see if there are other families like ours out there in Anglican churches (TEC, ACA, etc.). I keep thinking that there have to be at least one or two similar minded families out there, but I haven't met any.

Upvote 0

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Are there any Anglicans (either here on CF or that you know in real life) who don't believe in birth control?

Just wondering...
Marcie

Hmm I dunno if I would be considered an Anglican at this point, though I do attend an Anglican parish. That said, I'm no fan of birth control. Especially abortive birth control methods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I must admit that I'm not too terribly surprised. My husband and I are expecting our 5th, and you wouldn't believe the comments we've gotten from people at church! It's not like we go around demanding other couples to throw out their contraceptives, this is just our own personal choice.

We travel lots, and I always kind of keep an eye out to see if there are other families like ours out there in Anglican churches (TEC, ACA, etc.). I keep thinking that there have to be at least one or two similar minded families out there, but I haven't met any.

Marcie, I think that there are a couple of attitudes wrapped around each other in your question. I agree with everyone else here that it's a rare Episcopalian or Anglican who opposes birth control. BUT there are many Episcopalians who are politically way-out liberal to the point of thinking that its not a matter of your choice. They will say that if you want to limit your family's size (probably including abortion) that's good and it IS your choice, but if you don't limit your family size to the number they think right, then you are sinning against the Earth, our mother, don't you know?

I'd recommend one of the Continuing Anglican churches in your city where it would be very unlikely that you'd encounter the same mindset you are describing. ACA, ACC, REC, or AMiA or CANA would be worth looking into. I don't know if any others are in your city.

Upvote 0

marciebaby

Feb 14, 2005
St Louis, MO
✟16,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marcie, I think that there are a couple of attitudes wrapped around each other in your question. I agree with everyone else here that it's a rare Episcopalian or Anglican who opposes birth control. BUT there are many Episcopalians who are politically way-out liberal to the point of thinking that its not a matter of your choice. They will say that if you want to limit your family's size (probably including abortion) that's good and it IS your choice, but if you don't limit your family size to the number they think right, then you are sinning against the Earth, our mother, don't you know?

I'd recommend one of the Continuing Anglican churches in your city where it would be very unlikely that you'd encounter the same mindset you are describing. ACA, ACC, REC, or AMiA or CANA would be worth looking into. I don't know if any others are in your city.

Thanks Albion. Our church is fairly conservative, but there are still those people who feel as though they have to make their opinion known. Which is just how life is! I guess I'll never be in a church full of people who completely agree with me 100% of the time on 100% of the issues.

We're moving (to Hawaii!) in July, so we've been looking into our options. There are two TEC Anglo-catholic parishes and one ACA in Honolulu. My husband is leaning towards Rome though. I'm conflicted about that, but I'm conflicted about Anglicans, too sometimes.

Upvote 0

Musa80

Veteran
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
✟10,191.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Intercisus, that's what I was trying to say in my post, not the abortive ones.

I know what you meant, or at least I think I do. lol It's just my personal opinion, but while I don't think either is a good thing, one form seems to be clearly in another league of wrong than the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Totally in favor of birth control.

I am also totally in favor of birth control. However, I do not condemn or judge those who are against birth control or who choose to have large families. I try my best not to condemn or judge anyone. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.