Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What I would give to see at least one Kingfisher out in the wild.. o.o

We have a dog park near us with a couple of ponds, and we see or hear kingfishers there frequently during the spring and summer. We also are close to a river, so when we drive along the river, we sometimes hear them there, also.

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We have a dog park near us with a couple of ponds, and we see or hear kingfishers there frequently during the spring and summer. We also are close to a river, so when we drive along the river, we sometimes hear them there, also.

We often spot Belted Kingfishers where we hike in the Wildlife Reserve a few miles N. of here.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Last year was the first time I have seen a red-breasted nuthatch in our yard in the 16 years we have been here. We see white-breasted nuthatches frequently, but the red-breasted ones are fairly uncommon.

Upvote 0

MountainBluebird

Jun 2, 2012
Canada
✟16,093.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to about.com, a bird irruption is a dramatic, irregular migration of large numbers of birds to areas where they aren't typically found, possibly at a great distance from their normal ranges. I also thought it was any large increase in population of a certain type of bird. Last year I had so many Pine Siskins at my feeders, I could almost see the level of the sunflower seeds lower as I watched, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
According to about.com, a bird irruption is a dramatic, irregular migration of large numbers of birds to areas where they aren't typically found, possibly at a great distance from their normal ranges. I also thought it was any large increase in population of a certain type of bird. Last year I had so many Pine Siskins at my feeders, I could almost see the level of the sunflower seeds lower as I watched, lol.

:cool: Thanks with appreciation. I remember my neighbor in Alaska getting all excited years ago when she saw a Pine Siskin; but I missed that cause wasn't there when she did.

janni :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are lots of nice city/suburban birds, too. I live in a small town, more suburban than urban, and we get cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, goldfinch, house finch, titmouses, as well as the usual sparrows, starlings and crows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First I find a thread with people like me. Then I find a thread with people who share my interests. And now...this! Another interest of mine! :D^_^:clap::thumbsup:

I'm from Mississippi. We have birds, birds, birds, birds, and birds. At least, that's how those unschooled in the fine art of birdwatching see it:p

Birdwatching was just one of my hobbies of the past, and you'd better believe I'd start back on it if I could. I have a birdfeeder in my backyard, and the neighborhood I live in has this great blend of natural forests and urbanity--sometimes this combination is awkward but not for the birds!

I have seen the following in the area:
Residents:
Cardinals
Red-headed woodpeckers
Chickadees
Tufted Titmice
Morning Doves
Great Horned Owl (hear him at night every now and then)
Great Blue heron (not sure how many)
Mockingbirds
House finches
Turkey Vultures
Black Vultures

Winter migrants:
Hooded mergansers (these ducks with "afros")
Cedar Waxwings (look like female Cardinals, eat fruit)
Dark-eyed Juncos
White crowned sparrows
White throated sparrows
Purple finches
Common grackles
European Starlings

Summer migrants:
Blue grosbeaks
Indigo buntings (have seen these at the feeder)
Summer Tanagers (males are pure red)
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

And this is just all I've seen in the backyard! If anyone wants I could probably give what's known as a "life list".

Has anyone seen a Painted Bunting? Still haven't found one yet.

Upvote 0

Via Cassian

Fuga mundi (flight from the world)
Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
First I find a thread with people like me. Then I find a thread with people who share my interests. And now...this! Another interest of mine! :D^_^:clap::thumbsup:

I'm from Mississippi. We have birds, birds, birds, birds, and birds. At least, that's how those unschooled in the fine art of birdwatching see it:p

Birdwatching was just one of my hobbies of the past, and you'd better believe I'd start back on it if I could. I have a birdfeeder in my backyard, and the neighborhood I live in has this great blend of natural forests and urbanity--sometimes this combination is awkward but not for the birds!

I have seen the following in the area:
Residents:
Cardinals
Red-headed woodpeckers
Chickadees
Tufted Titmice
Morning Doves
Great Horned Owl (hear him at night every now and then)
Great Blue heron (not sure how many)
Mockingbirds
House finches
Turkey Vultures
Black Vultures

Winter migrants:
Hooded mergansers (these ducks with "afros")
Cedar Waxwings (look like female Cardinals, eat fruit)
Dark-eyed Juncos
White crowned sparrows
White throated sparrows
Purple finches
Common grackles
European Starlings

Summer migrants:
Blue grosbeaks
Indigo buntings (have seen these at the feeder)
Summer Tanagers (males are pure red)
Chimney Swifts
Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

And this is just all I've seen in the backyard! If anyone wants I could probably give what's known as a "life list".

Has anyone seen a Painted Bunting? Still haven't found one yet.

I have seen several Painted Buntings here in Tampa, Florida. They are little gems.

Your posted listed is a good one!!

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, Via Cassian! Learning about birds, and animals in general, was just one of my obsessions as a kid, and I'd love to sort of get back into doing it (although nowadays I have so much other stuff on my hands). But it's a great small talk topic because I can say, "Seen any birds lately? I can identify them for you". :D

Also, do you know if Painted Buntings ever approach feeders? I've gotten Indigo Buntings and Blue Grosbeaks a few times at mine that were migrating.

Upvote 0