Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Given the noise level and aggressiveness of the birds, it's not unreasonable for the neighbors to complain, but I wonder if changing the food and feeder type would have been sufficient.

Well, to having a small dicreet feeder on the balcony should not disturb anyone, like if it attracts small finches,

But gulls and larger birds, gulls especially, they just let their load go, splat! they are greedy too.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Also, if gulls have young in their nest and someone is out walking or cycling it is not uncommon that they swoop down in a really threatening manner, can be scary,

they try to clout you with their wing.

Kind of takes the shine off things, so to speak.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, bread is not good for birds, anyway. It's the equivalent of junk food. Makes them feel full but has no nutritional value which could be fatal near migration season. Stale or moldy bread can make birds sick and can change the PH levels of bodies of water over time.

It's OK to feed birds as long as you
Well, to having a small dicreet feeder on the balcony should not disturb anyone, like if it attracts small finches,

But gulls and larger birds, gulls especially, they just let their load go, splat! they are greedy too.

Yeah, gulls are not passeriformes, meaning they don't perch (because they have webbed feet), so even if they did eat seed (and I'm not sure they would), a suspended feeder shouldn't attract them. But feeding bread to any bird is not good; it's the equivalent of junk food and moldy bread is poisonous.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Actually, bread is not good for birds, anyway. It's the equivalent of junk food. Makes them feel full but has no nutritional value which could be fatal near migration season. Stale or moldy bread can make birds sick and can change the PH levels of bodies of water over time.

It's OK to feed birds as long as you

Yeah, gulls are not passeriformes, meaning they don't perch (because they have webbed feet), so even if they did eat seed (and I'm not sure they would), a suspended feeder shouldn't attract them. But feeding bread to any bird is not good; it's the equivalent of junk food and moldy bread is poisonous.

And yet many do feed bread to birds.
And the birds eat it.

The shape of a gulls beak would make it difficult to eat seeds, would reckon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Along with others, thinking of,

"Where the corpse lies there gather the vultures"

It was about this time a few years ago when it was a very cold and foggy morning and there were maybe three dozen turkey vultures hanging out on the roof of the house across the street, just silently staring.

Not the cutest of birds but they play a pretty important role in the environment. They're naturally bald so they don't have to clean the out-of-reach feathers on their head after sticking their head in the body of whatever they're scavenging .

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
It was about this time a few years ago when it was a very cold and foggy morning and there were maybe three dozen turkey vultures hanging out on the roof of the house across the street, just silently staring.

Not the cutest of birds but they play a pretty important role in the environment. They're naturally bald so they don't have to clean the out-of-reach feathers on their head after sticking their head in the body of whatever they're scavenging .

oof, I think I will stick with "Dove"

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

I've had those all over my house and trees a number of times. They're awesome!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We used to live in a house with an immense oak tree out back. At first light a "murder of crows" used to gather there and loudly argue for about half an hour about religion and politics.

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
We used to live in a house with an immense oak tree out back. At first light a "murder of crows" used to gather there and loudly argue for about half an hour about religion and politics.

And now they are on CF.

:)

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I was casually meditating on gods and mythology and was inspired to come back here because I totally forgot an entry that now I am sort of wondering how I could have forgotten it!

Simurgh - Wikipedia

A mythological bird from Iranian mythology who was present in many religions and epics; said to be enormous and have purifying powers over the land and water. He lives in the Alborz mountain range of northern Iran and his feathers are supposed to have healing powers. A fearsome bird indeed!

Tahmasp-Shahnamah-fol63v-LTS1995_2_46alt.jpg

The_Simurgh_by_Fluffysminion.jpg

The Simurgh is thought to be the inspiration for the original first generation Pokemon Articuno. Their design bares some vague resemblence (also crossed with the Quetzal) and Articuno canonically lives on Ice Island, one of three mountain-topped islands in the Pokemon world of the Orange Islands.

500px-Articuno_anime.png

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0