Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
All are carnivorous and several are scavengers. None are kosher.

There are many more carnivorous birds not on the list (assuming we're including insects, frogs, worms, and small reptiles and their diet), and there are a few that are cannibalistic (turkeys, pheasants, and some chickens).

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are many more carnivorous birds not on the list (assuming we're including insects, frogs, worms, and small reptiles and their diet), and there are a few that are cannibalistic (turkeys, pheasants, and some chickens).

Well, there goes Thanksgiving Dinner.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The first time I accidently dropped an egg around chickens I thought, "Oh my, they eat their own." Never have looked at them the same since.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Doves and pigeons are in the same family, Columbidae and can be found almost everyone on the planet except maybe Antarctica and the Sahara. The social birds are excellent fliers and navigators.
Pigeons are delicous.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
While I am not a full blown Kemetic, the sun god Ra is associated with the falcon.

Djheuty (Thoth) is often depicted with a Baboon's head but is also depicted with the head of an Ibis depending on the era in history.
Credit: Yliade on DeviantArt
thoth-egyptian-gods-by-yliade-dcjjwor-fullview.png

Horus also had depictions as a falcon headed god.
tumblr_pm4g0j1uw81u149jro3_1280.jpg

Tumblr link to full post of stylized gods (Ra, Horus, Sekhmet, Hathor etc.)
tumblr_pnogduSYwS1u149jro2_r1_1280.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
While I am not a full blown Kemetic, the sun god Ra is associated with the falcon.

Djheuty (Thoth) is often depicted with a Baboon's head but is also depicted with the head of an Ibis depending on the era in history.

I saw American White Ibises wandering around Epcot Center last year.

Also I think the ancient Egyptians were the first furries. That art is awesome

• Agree
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Kings 17:1-7 Elijah is fed by the ravens. This story was what I heard through a cassette tape. The pastor mentioned that the raven was an unclean bird(according to the Torah) but helped Elijah anyway. He compared the situation to when Schindler an "unclean sinful" man helped out the Jews during the Holocaust. I dunno what to make of it though.
A picture of the Lord's sovereign provision.

Upvote 0

Dynadin

Mar 11, 2018
Tifton
✟128,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory) are Odin's ravens. The two fly all over the world and bring Odin the news of the day, as it were.
Of them, Odin says, "I fear for Huginn, that he come not back,
yet more anxious am I for Muninn."

I'm not Asatru, just a student of world mythology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Huginn (Thought) and Muninn (Memory) are Odin's ravens. The two fly all over the world and bring Odin the news of the day, as it were.
Of them, Odin says, "I fear for Huginn, that he come not back,
yet more anxious am I for Muninn."

I'm not Asatru, just a student of world mythology.

I am not Asatru, but many I know are. A Raven Banner as reported to be used by the Great Heathen Army that invaded Britain in the 9th Century and I think one was reported to be at the Battle of Clontarf in Ireland in the very early 11th century (1014)

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I saw American White Ibises wandering around Epcot Center last year.

Also I think the ancient Egyptians were the first furries. That art is awesome

Yeah! We also have deities like Anzû in Mesopotamia depicted as a massive bird that can breathe fire and water.

At this point in my faith journey I'm convinced that furrydom is a normal part of the human experience lol. I've found so much fantastic art.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
At this point in my faith journey I'm convinced that furrydom is a normal part of the human experience lol. I've found so much fantastic art.

And what a fun group of people. Even the birds are becoming more common.

For anyone unfamiliar, the furry fandom includes artists (and their fans) who create content that focuses on anthropomorphic animals. It includes traditional artists, fur suit makers, entertainers, musicians, sketch comedy, dancers etc)

• Agree
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Yeah furries are great. I'm more or less adjacent to their community and have met a ton of great people.

(I was reading somewhere that anthropomorphizing characters is a sin but I can't find that substantiated in the Bible or by any theologians so I am going to chalk it up to a crazy pastor, maybe Anderson?)

While I do not claim adherence to reconstructionist polytheistic traditions I am probably as close as we'll get to some examples; I'd like to highlight a few:

Nike (Victoria) was a goddess who personified victory in the Greek and Roman religions and was often personified with wings or as a bird.

Gamayun is a prophetic bird of Slavic folklore and religion that spreads divine messages by well-knowing the gods, world and man.
tumblr_phks3wy6Yb1qbiaifo1_500.jpg

I feel like this is a pretty classic example to miss but who can forget harpies?! Bird-women who are associated with storms and terrorizing mortals. Same fam, what's not to love?
Source
tumblr_nk063407yH1t6s4oeo1_500.jpg

Source
tumblr_ogd4u8o0Pg1qhqxfro3_1280.jpg

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
(I was reading somewhere that anthropomorphizing characters is a sin but I can't find that substantiated in the Bible or by any theologians so I am going to chalk it up to a crazy pastor, maybe Anderson?)

I remember reading something that the characters in the Bible weren't supposed to be portrayed so they were depicted as anthropomorphic. It was a Jewish tradition if I remember right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,
I'd like to know if your religion makes any references to birds. Do they appear in scripture, mythology, songs, symbology, or anything like that?

In the Baha'i Writings a bird is compared to the soul. When we die the soul escapes this mortal frame and it is compared to a bird escaping a broken cage.

I'll share some references:

And among the teachings of His Holiness Bahá'u'lláh is the equality of women and men. The world of humanity has two wings -- one is women and the other men. Not until both wings are equally developed can the bird fly. Should one wing remain weak, flight is impossible. Not until the world of women becomes equal to the world of men in the acquisition of virtues and perfections, can success and prosperity be attained as they ought to be.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 288)

In the time of sleep this body is as though dead; it does not see nor hear, it does not feel, it has no consciousness, no perception: that is to say, the powers of man have become inactive, but the spirit lives and subsists. Nay, its penetration is increased, its flight is higher, and its intelligence is greater. To consider that after the death of the body the spirit perishes, is like imagining that a bird in a cage will be destroyed if the cage is broken, though the bird has nothing to fear from the destruction of the cage. Our body is like the cage, and the spirit is like the bird. We see that without the cage this bird flies in the world of sleep; therefore if the cage becomes broken, the bird will continue and exist: its feelings will be even more powerful, its perceptions greater, and its happiness increased. In truth, from hell it reaches a paradise of delights, because for the thankful birds there is no paradise greater than freedom from the cage. That is why with utmost joy and happiness the martyrs hasten to the plain of sacrifice.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 326)

O Lord! I am a broken-winged bird and desire to soar in this Thy space to which there is no limit. How is it possible for me to do this save through Thy providence and grace, Thy confirmation and assistance!

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 422)

The spirit of truth is soaring on the supreme apex, like unto a bird, in order that it may discover a severed heart and alight therein and make its nest.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 409)

He is the King, the All-Knowing, the Wise! Lo, the Nightingale of Paradise singeth upon the twigs of the Tree of Eternity, with holy and sweet melodies, proclaiming to the sincere ones the glad tidings of the nearness of God, calling the believers in the Divine Unity to the court of the Presence of the Generous One, informing the severed ones of the message which hath been revealed by God, the King, the Glorious, the Peerless, guiding the lovers to the seat of sanctity and to this resplendent Beauty.

(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 208)

There are well over a thousand references to birds in the Baha'i Writings so there is no room to post them all!

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here is one - storks and babies:
In Slavic mythology and religion, storks were thought to carry unborn souls from Vyraj to Earth in spring and summer.[149] This belief still persists in the modern folk culture of many Slavic countries, in the simplified child story that "storks bring children into the world".[150] Storks were seen by Early Slavs as bringing luck, and killing one would bring misfortune
White stork - Wikipedia

And I was curious about Vyraj, so here is the quote:
a mythical place in Slavic mythology where "birds fly for the winter and souls go after death" that is sometimes identified with paradise.[1] In the mythological lore, spring is believed to have arrived on Earth from Vyraj.

Initially, the Early Slavs believed in only one Vyraj, connected to the deity known as Rod—it was apparently located far away beyond the sea, at the end of the Milky Way.[3] It was often imagined as a garden beyond an iron gate that barred the living from entering, located in the crown of the cosmic tree. Whereas the branches were said to be nested by the birds, who were usually identified as human souls.[2] According to folkloristic fables, the gates of Vyraj were guarded by Veles, who sometimes took the animal form of a raróg, grasping in its claws the keys to the otherworlds.
Vyraj - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is a list of Native American bird myths.
Native American Indian Bird Legends, Meaning and Symbolism from the Myths of Many Tribes

One fun one that I just read is the "Rainbow Crow":
The Natural World-Rainbow Crow-a Lenape Legend

The Rainbow Crow is a really cute story.
They really do have iridescent feathers which is a caused by the structure of the feather. Light scatters when it hits the little barbules and it's like a prism.

The reds, oranges, and yellow feathers come from carotenoids which are pigments from the food they eat.
The browns and blacks come from melanin.
The blues come from light scattered by pockets of air in the barbs that scatter blue light from all angles.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0