• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

bipolar, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COVINABP

Aug 14, 2006
Covina CA
✟7,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to say, that I printed out Vibrants quote of "Bi Polor, what is it?" & have let a freind of mine read it, and he went from bing one of the people who say "You shouldn't take medication for this" to saying, "I am glad they have medication for this" Anyway, just thought I would drop a line about it. Praise God!

Upvote 0

jewellj

Jun 23, 2007
✟7,635.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi I'm a new member here,and I have ocd and recently have been diagnoised with bipolar too which makes the ocd worse.Just like today I went to church and was having these terrible thoughts and no matter how much U tell somebody about the illness the always say the devil has something to do with mental illness,everywhere I turn mental illness is not a illness like diabetes my psychiatrist says but a spiritual problem and that makes U feel like ur a loser at times. This is so painful and so hard for me right now and I don't understand why "People of the church" don't still want to accept mental illness in the year of 2007,it brings me much pain and grief. I just don't understand,then I start questioning everything about myself and my relationship with Christ,and OCD the disease of doubt doesn't already make me do that too. I just want the church to understand and accept me with an illness like cancer or other illnesses they support without sterotyping. Some one would u please reply to this. Please pray for me.

Upvote 0

timbo3

Nov 4, 2006
East Texas
✟18,582.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
Hi jewellj,
Being diagnosed with both OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder ) and bi-polar, can and will have dramatic effect on your life, these becoming so persistent and repetitive that they disrupt normal life and cause severe discomfort, sometimes resulting in depression. These are not directly spiritual problems, but are medical issues that needs to be addressed. Some keep them in their "closet", trying to hide the fact that they have these disorders or illnesses. Years ago, people with these mental illnesses were looked down upon or even avoided, being stigmatized or labeled as socially unacceptable.

I know a woman that has schizophrenia and has to take medication daily in order for her thought processes to remain reasonably stable. Unfortunately, in this system of things, imperfection abounds. In addition, the increased stress that is mounting day by day, has actually caused some to succumb to a wide variety of diseases, some having a "nervous breakdown" that has lead to mental illness, whereby a family member has even killed their own children. Family problems are at an all-time high. The root cause can be directly linked to a lack of love that has permeated society. Jesus said that would be the case in our time period.

And, I am not surprised that "People of the church" don't still want to accept mental illness in the year of 2007". The churches have shown themselves less and less of haven for those that experience these types of illnesses. Most churches are more concerned with money collections than with giving true spiritual comfort from the Bible. Thus, their members are not taught how to love, have "fellow-feeling", or show empathy, in imitation of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i wrote this and posted it in my blog. i feel, however, that it would be useful here as well. it doesn't touch on the spiritual aspects, so don't look for that; i'm trying to objectively describe what's going on in a bp mind/brain/body:​

:eek: bipolar, what is it?

bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, which is a mental illness. let's just get that out of the way. after hearing what i have to say, you might be tempted to label or limit me, but i would strongly advise you not to as i'm not bound to live up to, or rather, to live down to your expectations. illnesses of the body generate sympathy and acceptance, but those of the mind are only stereotyped and maligned through art, culture, and in society in general. however, both are real illnesses and both deserve understanding.

first, let's understand what a normal mood is. moods are normal. you feel the highs and lows of life. happiness instills you with a sense of well-being and confidence, you feel good and optimistic. sadness brings you the opposite. you turn inward and are preoccupied with your low thoughts. energy's low, self-doubt takes over. these are healthy reactions to life's stresses. your reaction is connected to your environment.

what makes the mood abnormal, giving rise to a mood disorder, is the regulation of mood. imagine if you started shivering on a warm day, or you're drenched in sweat. your body's temperature regulation system doesn't work correctly. so it is with mood disorders, our emotional temperature regulation. your mood is disconnected with your environment. your feelings of happiness or sadness take on rhythms and fluctuations of their own. sometimes these fluctuations are mild, and you only appear to have more ups and downs than the average person. other times, they are so extreme and maladaptive that your ability to judge reality is shattered.

i am bipolar 1. this is when my mood is able to escalate into either one of its two polar extremes, mania or depression. note two things. one, it's predominantly about the mind, but this illness will also affect your body and behaviour. and two, you need to exhibit a lot of these symptoms all day for an extended period of time to be diagnosed.

mania

mania feels good. "if this is an illness, it's the best illness i've ever had" says one patient, and i agree. i am euphoric, wildly optimistic and hyperactive. it is for this reason that mania is equally as dangerous as depression. it is seductive, i may not want to get well.

mood

- elated, euphoric mood; or irritable mood when it's not positive, which is dysphoric. more on that later
- grandiosity: unrealistic belief in abilities and powers

cognition

- feelings of heightened concentration
- accelerated thinking: racing thoughts because quick → fast → racing until your thoughts are tumbling out, jumbled up, jumping around
- irrational, illogical
- denial that anything is wrong

body

- increased energy
- decreased need for sleep
- erratic appetite (probably eat very little)

behaviour

- increased drive towards normally pleasurable things
- sociable, charismatic, engaging, outgoing
- provocative, intrusive, aggressive
- abuse of drugs and/or alcohol

psychotic features

- grandiose delusions
- hallucinations
- suicide
- delirious: stupefied, confused, bewildered, lose orientation with time and place

depression

depression is the opposite of mania. if mania is like a flower bursting into bloom, depression is those petals painfully curling in. here, i am disconsolate, inwardly turning, negative thinking melancholy. it's the "common cold" of mental illnesses as everyone will experience it at one time; that doesn't make it normal or alright though. we can definitely learn something from whatever the experience, but being depressed isn't a state you should have to live with as normal. it can become very dangerous to not only your mind, but your body and life.

mood

- depressed mood: unworthy, inadequate, loss, regret; you may not actually be able to feel sadness or cry.
- loss of ability to feel pleasure (anhedonia)
- guilty feelings

cognitive

- poor concentration: easily distracted
- poor memory
- indecision
- slowed thinking

body

- hypersomnia (or insomnia)
- erratic appetite
- fatigue, lethargy, feeling "slowed down"

behaviour

- social withdrawal

psychotic features

- delusions of poverty: i'm going to be fired, i just know it!
- hypochondrial delusion: i've cancer, aids, whatever, i'm sick!
- paranoid delusion: i'm in danger! people are mocking me!
- hallucination
- disorientation in time and place
- distortions and misinterpretations
- grandiosity
- catatonia

"patients lie in bed taking no interest in anything. they betray no pronounced emotion; they are mute, inaccessible; [...] they stare straight in front of them with [a] vacant expression of countenance like a mask and with wide open eyes." (mondimore, 25)

- depressive stupor

"i had now reached that phase of the disorder where all sense of hope had vanished, along with the idea of futurity; my brain ... had become less an organ of thought than an instrument of registering, minute by minute, varying degrees of its own suffering ... i'd feel the horror, like some poisonous fog bank, roll in upon my mind, forcing me to bed. there i would lie for as long as six hours, stuporous and virtually paralyzed, gazing at the ceiling" (see before)

- suicide !!!!

mixed states (dysphoric mania)

i can mix it up. i can have a mixed state where the negativity of depression is combined with the hyperactivity of mania.

comments

the breadth of this illness makes hospitalization nothing to be ashamed of. there, beside the free meals, you're in a safe environment, monitored by psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, and occupational therapists. this is an incredibly hard illness to diagnose as it can appear like other illnesses. for example, the weakened memory in older patients can be mistaken for dementia, and the mania in young kids, hyperactivity.

like any illness, there are times when i'm sick and there are times when i'm well. untreated, mania can last a few weeks, and depression months. recovery can vary between individuals, but it can be days to months depending on the severity of the illness. when i'm well, i'm said to be in remission. stable.

treatment

there are various forms of treatment that are effective:

- medication (mood stabilizers, antipsychotic, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, etc.)
- no alcohol or drugs
- psychiatric appointments
- support groups
- cognitive behavioural therapy
- interpersonal and social rhythm therapy
- develop and stick to a personal schedule
- family therapy
- art therapy
- physical exercise
- balanced diet
- good sleep
- avoid stress, or develop ways to cope with it. (don't procrastinate)
- develop a support system
- family support
- psychoeducation (i.e. study and understand bipolar)
- plan what to do in case of an episode while well
- mood charts
- make it a point to engage in activity, especially if in depression
- avoid over-stimulation if manic
- avoid triggers
- vitamin supplements, like omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil
- prayer
- don't be a victim!

references:

mondimore, francis. (md). bipolar disorder, a guide for patients and families. john hopkins press health book. baltimore: 1999.

national institute of mental health booklet

other mood disorders:

- bipolar II: hypomania (literally "under-mania": mild mania) and major depression
- rapid cycling: cycle through, ie. go through, your episodes of mania and depression quickly.
- ultra-rapid cycling
- cyclothymmia: hypomania, mild depression
- major depression
- dysthymia: chronic low mood (minor depression)

Good post vibrant.
Do you or anyone know of an example of a mood chart? I've never heard of one or used one before. Are there any online sources that have templates or something?

Upvote 0

Laridy

Jul 23, 2007
Lewisville, TX
✟7,721.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What a comprehensive and super post! It's so thourough, clear and covers both the medical aspects as well as the personal reflections of this disorder. Thanks for your input. I'm Bipolar II myself and it took over 13 years to get stable. I spent 7 years in and out of the hospital. I'm so grateful I've been a child of the King because he's kept me and my dh together through all the drama. I'm delighted that I've had a couple years of stability. I've had to use all those forms of treatment; they definately do make a difference.

Laridy:prayer:

Upvote 0

leftBrainer

Mar 2, 2008
✟15,275.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OP thank you for this. My brother is bi polar. And this has helped me understand him a little bit more.
my brother is bipolar too... a lot of times I really hated him, especially when I'm small and didn't know much. I always "hope he'll just go away"

life became really tough especially for my mom. and My Dad just couldn't believe(even until now) that he has bipolar disorder(not sure 1 or 2)

I hope to accept and understand him more. I believe God has a purpose behind even such dark times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dowoplover

dowoplover
May 14, 2008
usa
✟7,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon. I too am bipolar. I found out a couple ofyears ago (at age 54!) I think I have been this way all my life, just undiagnosed. to all the people above who asked, yes there are tests available on the 'net. I was looking up some info for a friend who was diagnosed with a form of schizophrenia (there are several types, too much to go into here) and found a test for BP, took the test and scored about 12 out of 10. I had been seeing a shrink for several years for depression, and i took my results to him. I have been on Depakote for the past two years, and I am doing WONDERFUL....thank you Lord! I might mention also that if the first try to contain this stuff does not work, DO NOT GIVE UP. Try another med, if need be another Dr. This is an extremely difficult disease to diagnose. we generaly do not go to the Dr. when we feel well (manic)
I agree with everyone else, this is the best explaination of the disease I have read.
Bless you for sharing!

Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi I'm a new member here,and I have ocd and recently have been diagnoised with bipolar too which makes the ocd worse.Just like today I went to church and was having these terrible thoughts and no matter how much U tell somebody about the illness the always say the devil has something to do with mental illness,everywhere I turn mental illness is not a illness like diabetes my psychiatrist says but a spiritual problem and that makes U feel like ur a loser at times. This is so painful and so hard for me right now and I don't understand why "People of the church" don't still want to accept mental illness in the year of 2007,it brings me much pain and grief. I just don't understand,then I start questioning everything about myself and my relationship with Christ,and OCD the disease of doubt doesn't already make me do that too. I just want the church to understand and accept me with an illness like cancer or other illnesses they support without sterotyping. Some one would u please reply to this. Please pray for me.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been so hurt and angered too by some of the stupid things that have come out of the mouths of some believers when it comes to mental illness. It's pure ignorance. Since they don't understand or see it on the outside, it must be a demon. Like we don't feel bad enough!
A few great blessings have come out of this horrible condition...one is my art and another is my heart for others who are like me. I never would have learned to be this sensitive to people suffering from mental illnesses if i didn't suffer from it first hand. Like Paul said, our suffering is used for the comforting of others (paraphrasing).
Listen to me and turn your attention to the heart of god who loves you...take shelter in the truth and in the protecting arms of our lord....those people who've hurt you speak lies. It's not in your head...this is legit and is no different from any other disease. Remind those idiots that the brain is just like any organ that can and does malfunction. Do they think people with say, down syndrome or autism are demon possessed too?
I'll be praying for your protection from hurtful words.

p.s...i don't know if i understood you correctly, but did you say that your psychiatrist believes this is a spiritual disease rather than a physical one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wonderwoman

Han shot first
Apr 16, 2007
Tatooine
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Law = oppression, depression, a put down to put away
Grace = edifying and exhorting ppl unto comfort only

:confused: what in the world are you taking about?

What are you saying? bipolar equals law? That makes no sense...
Are you saying that those with bipolar disorder are not under grace but under the law? I really hope you are not saying this....
If you're going to post something...just come out and say it clearly....no need to be cryptic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

4Everloved

Legend
Apr 18, 2007
Tennessee, USA
✟36,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Law = oppression, depression, a put down to put away
Grace = edifying and exhorting ppl unto comfort only

There should be rules about people who are not bipolar coming into these threads and being ignorant or thoughtless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

JoeNah

Okay, I'm not bi-polar. But I have been diagnosed with depression. I read the sticky post bi-polar - what is it? and it was very informative. I'm on medication, myself. I make no attempts to hide it from the good churchfolk with whom I worship God. I thought that depression was "all in my mind" and all I had to do was "snap out of it". Lexapro is the fourth medication I've tried but the first one to work. I have my moments. I got to where I had considered suicide, but was too afraid to carry it out. Suicide is, of course, not reversible, and if anyone reading this, has feelings of suicide, please do as the moderators suggest: talk to a pastor or counselor you trust. Don't go through with it. Life is not fair but it's still worth living!

I don't know what it is to deal with being bi-polar but I do love you guys!
A

Upvote 0

tinastree

Oct 26, 2008
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Vibrant, Wow I can't believe how you really put this disorder into the perfect words. I had a simple explanation when people would ask me what does it feel like.
I would say it's like chinese checkers. There is a spot where each marble belongs and with bi-polar the marbles tend to go to the same hole leaving many opened with nothing there. Your description is awesome! Thanks for making this disease understandable. I'm a "newbie" and I'm glad I read your post. Now I can just show this to someone who doesn't understand and they will get a better idea as to what I go through on a daily basis. Thank you so much.

peace, tina

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Vibrant, Wow I can't believe how you really put this disorder into the perfect words. I had a simple explanation when people would ask me what does it feel like.
I would say it's like chinese checkers. There is a spot where each marble belongs and with bi-polar the marbles tend to go to the same hole leaving many opened with nothing there. Your description is awesome! Thanks for making this disease understandable. I'm a "newbie" and I'm glad I read your post. Now I can just show this to someone who doesn't understand and they will get a better idea as to what I go through on a daily basis. Thank you so much.

peace, tina

oh, you're welcome!

Upvote 0

X=?

A voice crying in the wilderness.
Dec 12, 2008
UK
Visit site
✟7,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've wondered if I have suffered from this for nearly 10 years...admittedly I am scared of wanting to know as I know I have suffered with depression in the past and feelings of extreme panic over some quite real and extreme situations that had then led me to Diazepam.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.