• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

bipolar, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
i wrote this and posted it in my blog. i feel, however, that it would be useful here as well. it doesn't touch on the spiritual aspects, so don't look for that; i'm trying to objectively describe what's going on in a bp mind/brain/body:​

:eek: bipolar, what is it?

bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, which is a mental illness. let's just get that out of the way. after hearing what i have to say, you might be tempted to label or limit me, but i would strongly advise you not to as i'm not bound to live up to, or rather, to live down to your expectations. illnesses of the body generate sympathy and acceptance, but those of the mind are only stereotyped and maligned through art, culture, and in society in general. however, both are real illnesses and both deserve understanding.

first, let's understand what a normal mood is. moods are normal. you feel the highs and lows of life. happiness instills you with a sense of well-being and confidence, you feel good and optimistic. sadness brings you the opposite. you turn inward and are preoccupied with your low thoughts. energy's low, self-doubt takes over. these are healthy reactions to life's stresses. your reaction is connected to your environment.

what makes the mood abnormal, giving rise to a mood disorder, is the regulation of mood. imagine if you started shivering on a warm day, or you're drenched in sweat. your body's temperature regulation system doesn't work correctly. so it is with mood disorders, our emotional temperature regulation. your mood is disconnected with your environment. your feelings of happiness or sadness take on rhythms and fluctuations of their own. sometimes these fluctuations are mild, and you only appear to have more ups and downs than the average person. other times, they are so extreme and maladaptive that your ability to judge reality is shattered.

i am bipolar 1. this is when my mood is able to escalate into either one of its two polar extremes, mania or depression. note two things. one, it's predominantly about the mind, but this illness will also affect your body and behaviour. and two, you need to exhibit a lot of these symptoms all day for an extended period of time to be diagnosed.

mania

mania feels good. "if this is an illness, it's the best illness i've ever had" says one patient, and i agree. i am euphoric, wildly optimistic and hyperactive. it is for this reason that mania is equally as dangerous as depression. it is seductive, i may not want to get well.

mood

- elated, euphoric mood; or irritable mood when it's not positive, which is dysphoric. more on that later
- grandiosity: unrealistic belief in abilities and powers

cognition

- feelings of heightened concentration
- accelerated thinking: racing thoughts because quick → fast → racing until your thoughts are tumbling out, jumbled up, jumping around
- irrational, illogical
- denial that anything is wrong

body

- increased energy
- decreased need for sleep
- erratic appetite (probably eat very little)

behaviour

- increased drive towards normally pleasurable things
- sociable, charismatic, engaging, outgoing
- provocative, intrusive, aggressive
- abuse of drugs and/or alcohol

psychotic features

- grandiose delusions
- hallucinations
- suicide
- delirious: stupefied, confused, bewildered, lose orientation with time and place

depression

depression is the opposite of mania. if mania is like a flower bursting into bloom, depression is those petals painfully curling in. here, i am disconsolate, inwardly turning, negative thinking melancholy. it's the "common cold" of mental illnesses as everyone will experience it at one time; that doesn't make it normal or alright though. we can definitely learn something from whatever the experience, but being depressed isn't a state you should have to live with as normal. it can become very dangerous to not only your mind, but your body and life.

mood

- depressed mood: unworthy, inadequate, loss, regret; you may not actually be able to feel sadness or cry.
- loss of ability to feel pleasure (anhedonia)
- guilty feelings

cognitive

- poor concentration: easily distracted
- poor memory
- indecision
- slowed thinking

body

- hypersomnia (or insomnia)
- erratic appetite
- fatigue, lethargy, feeling "slowed down"

behaviour

- social withdrawal

psychotic features

- delusions of poverty: i'm going to be fired, i just know it!
- hypochondrial delusion: i've cancer, aids, whatever, i'm sick!
- paranoid delusion: i'm in danger! people are mocking me!
- hallucination
- disorientation in time and place
- distortions and misinterpretations
- grandiosity
- catatonia

"patients lie in bed taking no interest in anything. they betray no pronounced emotion; they are mute, inaccessible; [...] they stare straight in front of them with [a] vacant expression of countenance like a mask and with wide open eyes." (mondimore, 25)

- depressive stupor

"i had now reached that phase of the disorder where all sense of hope had vanished, along with the idea of futurity; my brain ... had become less an organ of thought than an instrument of registering, minute by minute, varying degrees of its own suffering ... i'd feel the horror, like some poisonous fog bank, roll in upon my mind, forcing me to bed. there i would lie for as long as six hours, stuporous and virtually paralyzed, gazing at the ceiling" (see before)

- suicide !!!!

mixed states (dysphoric mania)

i can mix it up. i can have a mixed state where the negativity of depression is combined with the hyperactivity of mania.

comments

the breadth of this illness makes hospitalization nothing to be ashamed of. there, beside the free meals, you're in a safe environment, monitored by psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, and occupational therapists. this is an incredibly hard illness to diagnose as it can appear like other illnesses. for example, the weakened memory in older patients can be mistaken for dementia, and the mania in young kids, hyperactivity.

like any illness, there are times when i'm sick and there are times when i'm well. untreated, mania can last a few weeks, and depression months. recovery can vary between individuals, but it can be days to months depending on the severity of the illness. when i'm well, i'm said to be in remission. stable.

treatment

there are various forms of treatment that are effective:

- medication (mood stabilizers, antipsychotic, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, etc.)
- no alcohol or drugs
- psychiatric appointments
- support groups
- cognitive behavioural therapy
- interpersonal and social rhythm therapy
- develop and stick to a personal schedule
- family therapy
- art therapy
- physical exercise
- balanced diet
- good sleep
- avoid stress, or develop ways to cope with it. (don't procrastinate)
- develop a support system
- family support
- psychoeducation (i.e. study and understand bipolar)
- plan what to do in case of an episode while well
- mood charts
- make it a point to engage in activity, especially if in depression
- avoid over-stimulation if manic
- avoid triggers
- vitamin supplements, like omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil
- prayer
- don't be a victim!

references:

mondimore, francis. (md). bipolar disorder, a guide for patients and families. john hopkins press health book. baltimore: 1999.

national institute of mental health booklet

other mood disorders:

- bipolar II: hypomania (literally "under-mania": mild mania) and major depression
- rapid cycling: cycle through, ie. go through, your episodes of mania and depression quickly.
- ultra-rapid cycling
- cyclothymmia: hypomania, mild depression
- major depression
- dysthymia: chronic low mood (minor depression)

Reactions: Alive again

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
vibrant said:
i wrote this and posted it in my blog. i feel, however, that it would be useful here as well. it doesn't touch on the spiritual aspects, so don't look for that; i'm trying to objectively describe what's going on in a bp mind/brain/body:​

bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, which is a mental illness. let's just get that out of the way. after hearing what i have to say, you might be tempted to label or limit me, but i would strongly advise you not to as i'm not bound to live up to, or rather, to live down to your expectations. illnesses of the body generate sympathy and acceptance, but those of the mind are only stereotyped and maligned through art, culture, and in society in general. however, both are real illnesses and both deserve understanding.

first, let's understand what a normal mood is. moods are normal. you feel the highs and lows of life. happiness instills you with a sense of well-being and confidence, you feel good and optimistic. sadness brings you the opposite. you turn inward and are preoccupied with your low thoughts. energy's low, self-doubt takes over. these are healthy reactions to life's stresses. your reaction is connected to your environment.

what makes the mood abnormal, giving rise to a mood disorder, is the regulation of mood. imagine if you started shivering on a warm day, or you're drenched in sweat. your body's temperature regulation system doesn't work correctly. so it is with mood disorders, our emotional temperature regulation. your mood is disconnected with your environment. your feelings of happiness or sadness take on rhythms and fluctuations of their own. sometimes these fluctuations are mild, and you only appear to have more ups and downs than the average person. other times, they are so extreme and maladaptive that your ability to judge reality is shattered.

i am bipolar 1. this is when my mood is able to escalate into either one of its two polar extremes, mania or depression. note two things. one, it's predominantly about the mind, but this illness will also affect your body and behaviour. and two, you need to exhibit a lot of these symptoms all day for an extended period of time to be diagnosed.

mania

mania feels good. "if this is an illness, it's the best illness i've ever had" says one patient, and i agree. i am euphoric, wildly optimistic and hyperactive. it is for this reason that mania is equally as dangerous as depression. it is seductive, i may not want to get well.

mood

- elated, euphoric mood; or irritable mood when it's not positive, which is dysphoric. more on that later

cognition

- accelerated thinking: racing thoughts because quick → fast → racing until your thoughts are tumbling out, jumbled up, jumping around
- irrational, illogical

body

- increased energy

behaviour

psychotic features

- grandiose delusions
- hallucinations
- suicide
- delirious: stupefied, confused, bewildered, lose orientation with time and place

depression

depression is the opposite of mania. if mania is like a flower bursting into bloom, depression is those petals painfully curling in. here, i am disconsolate, inwardly turning, negative thinking melancholy. it's the "common cold" of mental illnesses as everyone will experience it at one time; that doesn't make it normal or alright though. we can definitely learn something from whatever the experience, but being depressed isn't a state you should have to live with as normal. it can become very dangerous to not only your mind, but your body and life.

mood

- depressed mood: unworthy, inadequate, loss, regret; you may not actually be able to feel sadness or cry.
- guilty feelings

cognitive

- poor memory
- indecision
- slowed thinking

body

- erratic appetite

behaviour

- social withdrawal

psychotic features

- hallucination
- grandiosity
- catatonia

"patients lie in bed taking no interest in anything. they betray no pronounced emotion; they are mute, inaccessible; [...] they stare straight in front of them with [a] vacant expression of countenance like a mask and with wide open eyes." (mondimore, 25)

- depressive stupor

"i had now reached that phase of the disorder where all sense of hope had vanished, along with the idea of futurity; my brain ... had become less an organ of thought than an instrument of registering, minute by minute, varying degrees of its own suffering ... i'd feel the horror, like some poisonous fog bank, roll in upon my mind, forcing me to bed. there i would lie for as long as six hours, stuporous and virtually paralyzed, gazing at the ceiling" (see before)

- suicide !!!!

i can mix it up. i can have a mixed state where the negativity of depression is combined with the hyperactivity of mania.

comments

the breadth of this illness makes hospitalization nothing to be ashamed of. there, beside the free meals, you're in a safe environment, monitored by psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, and occupational therapists. this is an incredibly hard illness to diagnose as it can appear like other illnesses. for example, the weakened memory in older patients can be mistaken for dementia, and the mania in young kids, hyperactivity.

like any illness, there are times when i'm sick and there are times when i'm well. untreated, mania can last a few weeks, and depression months. recovery can vary between individuals, but it can be days to months depending on the severity of the illness. when i'm well, i'm said to be in remission. stable.

treatment

- medication (mood stabilizers, antipsychotic, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, etc.)
- no alcohol or drugs
- support groups
- family therapy
- art therapy
- physical exercise
- balanced diet
- good sleep
- family support
- mood charts
- avoid triggers
- prayer
- don't be a victim!

references:

mondimore, francis. (md). bipolar disorder, a guide for patients and families. john hopkins press health book. baltimore: 1999.

other mood disorders:

- bipolar II: hypomania (under-mania), major depression
- rapid cycling: cycle, go through, your episodes of mania and depression quickly.
- ulta-rapid cycling
- major depression
- dysthymia: chronic low mood, minor depression
Dear Vibrant

Thank you!!!!!!!

I believe that this post ought to be a permanent post that would be required reading before any are allowed to post. (probably never happen )

Only those that have been taught, or had the disease, or have contact with those around them really needs to post at this site.

It is tough enough for folks to even accept they have the disease and to commit to the taking of meds. They sure don't need to be told it is a result of lack of faith. This is the very thing that can cause carnage from not taking the meds to folks doubting their faith.

Please stand by this forum and chat with those that need your guidance.
WISDOM and UNDERSTANDING is what's needed and you sure have plenty of that!!!!

REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you )

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alive again said:
Agreed, do we ask a mod to help make this happen???
Dear Alive Again

Hey VETERAN with the Wonderful Reputation who would be better to do this than you! I certainly will stand behind you.

Just show them YOUR badge of HONOR.

With Love
ALWAYS REMEMBER

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

vibrant said:

mania

mood

cognition

- irrational, illogical

body

- increased energy

behaviour

psychotic features

- grandiose delusions
- hallucinations
- suicide

depression

mood

- guilty feelings

cognitive

- poor memory
- indecision
- slowed thinking

body

- erratic appetite

behaviour

- social withdrawal

psychotic features

- hallucination
- grandiosity
- catatonia

- depressive stupor

- suicide !!!!

comments

treatment

- no alcohol or drugs
- support groups
- family therapy
- art therapy
- physical exercise
- balanced diet
- good sleep
- family support
- mood charts
- avoid triggers
- prayer
- don't be a victim!

references:

other mood disorders:

- bipolar II: hypomania (literally "under-mania": mild mania) and major depression
- rapid cycling: cycle through, ie. go through, your episodes of mania and depression quickly.
- ultra-rapid cycling
- major depression

A truly informative and inspiring post vibrant. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

wonderwaleye said:
Dear Vibrant

Thank you!!!!!!!

I believe that this post ought to be a permanent post that would be required reading before any are allowed to post. (probably never happen )

Only those that have been taught, or had the disease, or have contact with those around them really needs to post at this site.

It is tough enough for folks to even accept they have the disease and to commit to the taking of meds. They sure don't need to be told it is a result of lack of faith. This is the very thing that can cause carnage from not taking the meds to folks doubting their faith.

Please stand by this forum and chat with those that need your guidance.
WISDOM and UNDERSTANDING is what's needed and you sure have plenty of that!!!!

REMEMBER:

I totally 100% agree. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

wonderwaleye said:
Dear Alive Again

Hey VETERAN with the Wonderful Reputation who would be better to do this than you! I certainly will stand behind you.

Just show them YOUR badge of HONOR.

With Love
ALWAYS REMEMBER

My support is at the ready as well.:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gundam

Wing zero
May 4, 2004
Tennessee
✟8,774.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
vibrant said:

mania

mood

cognition

- irrational, illogical

body

- increased energy

behaviour

psychotic features

- grandiose delusions
- hallucinations
- suicide

depression

mood

- guilty feelings

cognitive

- poor memory
- indecision
- slowed thinking

body

- erratic appetite

behaviour

- social withdrawal

psychotic features

- hallucination
- grandiosity
- catatonia

- depressive stupor

- suicide !!!!

comments

treatment

- no alcohol or drugs
- support groups
- family therapy
- art therapy
- physical exercise
- balanced diet
- good sleep
- family support
- mood charts
- avoid triggers
- prayer
- don't be a victim!

references:

other mood disorders:

- ultra-rapid cycling
- major depression
Bipolar is very strange I have but can control it with meds

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Is Bi Polar/Manic Depresive hereditary? My oldest son has been diagnosed with it for a few years now and he said once he thought it was. Also, does the person who suffers from this more succeptable to addictions and/or alcoholism?

He is both an alcoholic and an addict as well (as am I - well, been sober now for almost 2 yrs). I have never been diagnosed with BP nor have I ever felt that I needed to be but mor eand more watching my son's life (he's 26) and listening to others, thres things in my life that make me wonder if maybe that I am.

anyways, appreciate being able to ask a question,

will try to get back tomorrow and check here.

thanks!
Norm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
tapero said:
Hi Norm, I can only give you from what I've known. My mother and brother and I are all bi polar, though for some reason I no longer have manias. It could be because I am inside all the time; I don't know. It could be the medication. I do understand that many with mental illness use alcohol and drugs to self-medicate themselves. My brother now goes to AA, as did my mom after her bout with alcoholism.

I have other siblings who don't have any mental health problems at all. Yet they do drink. I wasn't saying drinking is a sign of mental illness just that many self-medicate with alcohol and drugs. That's my story, lol, take care, Tapero

thank you for your reply. Got another question: is there a site I could go to that would have something like a "test" I could take on line to see if perhaps I might be Bi Polar? The tests that are basic and if you responded to 3 or more you might be this and if your answered yes to 7 or more you might be that kind of thing.

I know it would not be a medical diagnosis but something that would give me an idea what I may be looking at in me.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Norm,

Thanks for writing back. I don't know of a site like that though maybe others do. A psychiatrist would be able to diagnose you though.

I really appreciated that you wrote back. Sorry I couldn't help you more. Write anytime. Nice to have conversation on the net.

Take care, Tapero

Upvote 0

wiccanandproud

Jul 31, 2006
Miami, Florida
✟15,113.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I can relate to this alot, I feel alot of these things... I was Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, but I was not catagorized because my mood swings are too sparotic, I was also diagnosed with Major depressive disorder, OCD, Insomnia, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder... I am not currently on any meds... I can function without them... They put me on every mood stabalizer out there befour I refused to take them anymore... This post was very informative... thanks... really

Upvote 0

GregoryTurner

Ezekiel 33
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2006
USA
✟57,748.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I found out today that my Dad has this illness. I came on here to find out what it is and still am not quite sure. What I wanted to find out is if this is hereditary? My cousin has this also. I hope not because my wife looked at me funny when I told her of my Dad. I hope this is ok to ask in here. HAve a happy Jesus Day!!!

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
GregoryTurner said:
I found out today that my Dad has this illness. I came on here to find out what it is and still am not quite sure. What I wanted to find out is if this is hereditary? My cousin has this also. I hope not because my wife looked at me funny when I told her of my Dad. I hope this is ok to ask in here. HAve a happy Jesus Day!!!
it's okay to ask anywhere. Heredity and bp is possible but it doesn't follow a specific pattern. It can run in families, it can appear out of no where and it can skip generations. Lots of variety. My father had problems in later years, I had prob in my 40's my son developed a case in his elementary years. My case appears to be milder and my son's more difficult, but there are many factors that influence heredity in bp.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.