• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bipolar & Asperger's syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone firmiliar with or possibly DX: with both of these? I am curious, my sons therapist told me today that he indeed fits the criteria for AS and will be working with another professional next week to determine if indeed this is the case.
My son is 14 ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, and possibly this too.:confused: :eek:
What kind of future will he be expected to have, it seems to me that the cards are stacking up against him and it breaks my heart. I read up on it and I have to admit he indeed fits ALL that is listed as syptomatic for AS.
I dont know just thought I'd take a chance here and also in the Autistic/Asperger's section here at CF. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you! I know of Asperger's, but do not have anything that I think would be helpful to share. My son has bp,semi diagnosed with adhd, but it truly turned out to be that the adderall just helped him get up and going with the depression from the bp. Was also told he was ODD but truly the anger and oppostional issues also turned out to be directly related to the bp. So I would say try to be as informed as possible and do what you feel God is leading you to do to help your son, but do not get too hung up on labels. Use them to help you seek approp help. It gets so frustrating when diagnoses can only be made based on symptoms and not on a definitive tests like a blood test or xray. We can quickly see how with symptoms that overlap in these diagnoses it can be hard for even a trained doctor to "Know" for sure. You may find out more clearly over the years what you are truly dealing with and what helps and doesn't. But NEVER lose sight of the fact that God is in contorl and has a plan admist all this uncertainity. God loves your son and has a plan with a future and a hope (see Jer 29:11) It may be different for your son than anyone else (IN fact it will, that is one of the amazing things about our God) but God does have a plan.

For our family the teen years with our son almost tore us asunder and were very difficult, but our son at 21 is currently back living with us, and although He has turned his back on his faith, He is much easier to live with and far more stable than those stormy years. Even our son says I don't know why I was like that, but I really look back and don't like who I was then.

Do not worry about tomorrow, do what God has put before you today. Learn from yesterday, buy don't wallow in "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" for those are false guilt that will rob you of your joy in the Lord. Walk forward into each day with faith, do what you can in prayer and faith and Trust God for the rest!!! Much easier said than done!!!

One tip that helped me was to remeber that I may hate the behavior, but I love my son and there was nothing my son could do to stop me from loving him. And believe my son tried much to test that!!! One of my biggest challenges was trying to figure out what was illness based and what was just the inexperience of youth and what was just choice. That is impossible to do sometimes, so understand our God given limits and love your son and yourself and your God through whatever comes your way!!!

Also do not hesitate to investigate even now if he would qualify for some form of help thru disability or social security???

Reactions: Crystal~Rose
Upvote 0

rushingwind62

Debi1967 is the love of my life!!!!
Sep 24, 2005
Green Valley, IL.
✟10,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone firmiliar with or possibly DX: with both of these? I am curious, my sons therapist told me today that he indeed fits the criteria for AS and will be working with another professional next week to determine if indeed this is the case.
My son is 14 ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, and possibly this too.:confused: :eek:
What kind of future will he be expected to have, it seems to me that the cards are stacking up against him and it breaks my heart. I read up on it and I have to admit he indeed fits ALL that is listed as syptomatic for AS.
I dont know just thought I'd take a chance here and also in the Autistic/Asperger's section here at CF. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

Exactly what is Asperger's? I have never heard of it.

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you! I know of Asperger's, but donot have anything that I think would be helppful to share. My son has bp,semi diagnosed with adhd, but it truly turned out to be that the adderall just helped him get up and goin with the depression from the bp. Was also told he was ODD but truly the anger and oppostional issues also turned out to be directly related to the bp. So I would say try tp be as informed as possible and do what you feel God is leading you to do to help your son, but do not get too hung up on labels. Use them to help you seek approp help. It gets so frustratin when diagnoses can only be made based on symptoms and not aon a definitive tests like a blood test or xray. We can quickly see how with symptoms that overlap in these diagnoses it can be hard for even a trained doctor to "Know" for sure. You may find out more clearly over the years what you are truly dealing with and what helps and doesn't. But NEVER lose sight of the fact that God is in contorl and has a plan admist all this uncertainity. God loves your son and has a plan with a future and a hope (see Jer 29:11) It may be different for your son than anyone else (IN fact it will, that is one of the amazing things about our God) but Fod does have a plan.

For our family the teen years with our son almost tore us asunder and were very difficult, but our son at 21 is currently back living with us, and although He has turned his back on his faith, He is much easier to live with and far more stable than those stormy years. Even our son says I don't know why I was likje that, but I really look back and don't like who I was then.

Do not worry about tommorrow, do what God has put before you today. Learn from yesterday, buy don't wallow in "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" for those are false guilt that will rob you of your joy in the LOrd. Walk forward into each day with faith, do what you can in prayer and faith and Trust God for the rest!!! Much easier said than done!!!

One tip that helped me was to remeber that I may hate the behavior, but I loved my son and there was nothing my son could do to stp me from loving him. And believe my son tried much to test that!!! One of my biggest challenges was trying to figure out what was illness based and what was just the inexperience of youth and what was just choice. That is impossible to do sometimes, so understand our God given limits and love your son and yourself and your God through whatever comes your way!!!

Also do not hesitate to investigate even now if he would qualify for some form of help thru disability or social security???
I submitted all of the information and Dr's records about 2 months ago to the SSI office and have yet to hear anything back, from what I understand it can be a lengthy process. Being that my son has been placed in a theraputic day school for the severly emotionally disturbed I dont think it will be a problem finding assistance of some sort.
This has been an ongoing search for answers since he was 2yrs old, unfortunetly noone took me seriosly because I was so young it was easy just to blame my parenting. It wasnt until kindergarten did someone realize something was wrong. Its been a long hard road finding answers and how to best assist him. He has been assigned a case manager to oversee all of his care, and to monitor his progress, This has been a God send. Its about time they realized these oproblems are far beyond anything I could have caused or avoided. Dont get me wrong by no means am I saying my son is a bad child, just different. Through trial and error I alone until recently have learned how best to bring out the best in him and so far have been the only one who has refused to give up on him. I will go to the ends of this earth to see that he has the best possible treatment, and support. Thank you all for your prayers and words of encouragement.

Upvote 0

rushingwind62

Debi1967 is the love of my life!!!!
Sep 24, 2005
Green Valley, IL.
✟10,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found this site in my attempt to better understand what it was as well...
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=243&np=293&id=2320
Sadly this describes my son and almost all the struggles he has had. :sigh:

Thank you.....Unfortunately I know nothing about this or how to handle it specifically. But I will keep you, your son, and family in my prayers. I know it must be difficult to deal with...just remember God is with you. Be patient and keep him and yourself in counseling.

I noticed it said this was not an illness so it must be a chemical imbalance. Maybe meds will help and certain behaviors can be changed over time. The brain is an amazing thing, so don't give up hope....God Bless You!!

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.....Unfortunately I know nothing about this or how to handle it specifically. But I will keep you, your son, and family in my prayers. I know it must be difficult to deal with...just remember God is with you. Be patient and keep him and yourself in counseling.

I noticed it said this was not an illness so it must be a chemical imbalance. Maybe meds will help and certain behaviors can be changed over time. The brain is an amazing thing, so don't give up hope....God Bless You!!
Thank you :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I submitted all of the information and Dr's records about 2 months ago to the SSI office and have yet to hear anything back, from what I understand it can be a lengthy process. Being that my son has been placed in a theraputic day school for the severly emotionally disturbed I dont think it will be a problem finding assistance of some sort.
This has been an ongoing search for answers since he was 2yrs old, unfortunetly noone took me seriosly because I was so young it was easy just to blame my parenting. It wasnt until kindergarten did someone realize something was wrong. Its been a long hard road finding answers and how to best assist him. He has been assigned a case manager to oversee all of his care, and to monitor his progress, This has been a God send. Its about time they realized these oproblems are far beyond anything I could have caused or avoided. Dont get me wrong by no means am I saying my son is a bad child, just different. Through trial and error I alone until recently have learned how best to bring out the best in him and so far have been the only one who has refused to give up on him. I will go to the ends of this earth to see that he has the best possible treatment, and support. Thank you all for your prayers and words of encouragement.
It can ve a steruggle and they do tend to reject the majority of claims, esp if they are younger! Do not hesitate to appeal and hire an attorney when it comes to a hearing if it goes that far. Hopefully the casemanger and others can help with records and documents you need to get approved without the hearing. Lawyers fees are set by Socil Security, so if you do en dup in a hearing remeber that. I had to go all the way to a hearing and was approved.

I know exactly what you mean about the parenting thing, everybody, church, friends, counselors, psych docs wanted to make it our fault, funny thing, it was an illness. . .HMMM!!!

Praying for you!

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can ve a steruggle and they do tend to reject the majority of claims, esp if they are younger! Do not hesitate to appeal and hire an attorney when it comes to a hearing if it goes that far. Hopefully the casemanger and others can help with records and documents you need to get approved without the hearing. Lawyers fees are set by Socil Security, so if you do en dup in a hearing remeber that. I had to go all the way to a hearing and was approved.

I know exactly what you mean about the parenting thing, everybody, church, friends, counselors, psych docs wanted to make it our fault, funny thing, it was an illness. . .HMMM!!!

Praying for you!
:hug: i hope it doesnt have to go that far with lawyers and such the worker that gathered all the info stated that I made thier job easier with all the documentation I have collected from 3 psycs..etc. down through the years, but you never know.
Yeah I'd love to go back to all the people who blamed me and overlooked the underlying issues and give them a piece of my mind, (like that would change anything)
The damage has been done being my son has been labeled a bad kid by most of the adults who have interacted with him.

Upvote 0

willmrcd1

Aug 17, 2006
Brooklyn
Visit site
✟7,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God Bless You,

Well you and I have far too much in common. My son is 13 1/2 years old and has been labeled with Asperger Syndrome, however, now doctors are saying that he is bipolar as well. This may be so, because I too am bipolar.

Finding help for my son is still very difficult. I have changed his school about three times. Because he can read, speak and write they felt an inclusion program was best, but his behaviors got worse. The teachers couldn't control his outbursts or how to get the children to intergrate with him since he was so focused on his mystery books. My doctor felt bad for me, because I still couldn't get a child psychiastrist to help. He prescribed him meds that seem to help him, unfortunately we found a child psychiatrist who removed those meds and gave new meds that do not work. Our son is not focused and has violent outbursts. Right now I am trying to keep my head on straight, because its so overwhelming.

I guess I wanted you to know that you are not alone and that God does answer prayers. I never received SSI for my son, because they say we make too much. We don't qualify. My health insurance from my employment is not the greatest~you want to laugh I work for the Board of Education I am a special education teacher. Do you know I have tried to get help and even then there are closed doors.

My advice to you is do not get caught up with these labels they will try you insane. Do however hold onto the promises of the Lord. Pray and ask the Father to give you wisdom and to direct your path. I know that He will guide you and prepare you. I know that you love your son very much. As a mother of a special needs child it hurts when you can't do much, but know that your prayers, love, patience and endurance means so much to your son and to the Lord.

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God Bless You,

Well you and I have far too much in common. My son is 13 1/2 years old and has been labeled with Asperger Syndrome, however, now doctors are saying that he is bipolar as well. This may be so, because I too am bipolar.

Finding help for my son is still very difficult. I have changed his school about three times. Because he can read, speak and write they felt an inclusion program was best, but his behaviors got worse. The teachers couldn't control his outbursts or how to get the children to intergrate with him since he was so focused on his mystery books. My doctor felt bad for me, because I still couldn't get a child psychiastrist to help. He prescribed him meds that seem to help him, unfortunately we found a child psychiatrist who removed those meds and gave new meds that do not work. Our son is not focused and has violent outbursts. Right now I am trying to keep my head on straight, because its so overwhelming.

I guess I wanted you to know that you are not alone and that God does answer prayers. I never received SSI for my son, because they say we make too much. We don't qualify. My health insurance from my employment is not the greatest~you want to laugh I work for the Board of Education I am a special education teacher. Do you know I have tried to get help and even then there are closed doors.

My advice to you is do not get caught up with these labels they will try you insane. Do however hold onto the promises of the Lord. Pray and ask the Father to give you wisdom and to direct your path. I know that He will guide you and prepare you. I know that you love your son very much. As a mother of a special needs child it hurts when you can't do much, but know that your prayers, love, patience and endurance means so much to your son and to the Lord.
I appreciate your response to this post though I am not glad to hear of a child suffering it helps to know someone understands. :prayer: for you and yours as well. Its taken years to get this far, I'm not giving up I just like all the info and personal experience I can get so I know what to expect and how to be the best advocate I can be for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DrBeatnik

Nov 15, 2006
New York.
✟7,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A friend of mine has Aspergers. He's a smart guy, so he can do normal school work, but he's got a lot of the same social problems that an autistic person might have. I've seen him stand really close to people when he's talking, he overreacts to things and knocks things over, and he shouts at people for making innocent mistakes. For a good portion of middle school he was basically a social outcast, because everyone thought he was wierd. That's probably because his parents hired an aid to follow him around all day and help him with everyday things, but he dropped the aid in high school and had a relatively healthy social life. One of the problems he has now is that he's incredibly self concious. I think it's because he doesn't want people to think he's strange and become an outcast again, but I don't know for sure.

So depending on how severe a case of Asperger's your kid has, this could go a lot of ways. I hope all goes well.

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My son (corey) will openly say he knows he is wired, he even calls himself crazy, his peers in Jr. high school called him a freak of nature, corey must be off his meds alot of kids wanted to beat him up. For whatever reason, this does not intimidate him or change the way he acted around others. For the most part he likes being left alone, socialization is not important to him. He doesnt have close friends and the friends he does have are alot younger, or older than he is. He loves taking pictures, putting speakers, lights, a Cd player and amps. on his John Deer tractor. He says its his only space riding on his tractor listening to music, though others make fun he doesnt care he thinks its the coolest thing ever. He thinks its brilliant to "pimp" out a tractor. lol
His grades are poor though he tests well above average, he is going on 3 years behind in school and he doesnt care because he says he is gonna be something and school isnt going to matter. He has alot of talent, electronics, computers etc. if he is interested he excels.
He sometimes spends hours cleaning, polishing and putting pennys in order dates. Also taking appart his remote control car, cleaning it and putting it back together everytime he uses it, sometimes daily its a project that akes hours and no matter what you can barely pull him away to eat, shower or go to bed. Tey are beginning his testing some time this week

Upvote 0

Crystal~Rose

AKA~luvinJC4ever
Jul 20, 2006
Florida
✟30,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They approved my sons SSI which sets my heart at ease because of how much I have had to cut back on work to be available to him. It has been recommended by his Dr and therapist to pull him out of school and teach him at home for he is on his way to being 3 years behind with no improvement. They feel a more structured almost ritualistic routine everyday will accomadate his learning needs. All acedemic testins places him far above average capability yet he has failing grades. This is the only thing we havent tried. Please pray that Gods will be done and that I find whatever he needs to be successful.
We begin the formal testing for aspergers in 2 weeks however they have already informally DX: him.

Upvote 0

MyHeart07

Bride of The King
Jan 4, 2007
Montreal
✟23,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:hug: luvinJC,

My son has asperger's. He was diagnosed at a very young age and treatment was begun as early as 3. I know how hard it is, as he was relentlessly bullied in school (a freak and a retard were the nicer names he was called :sigh: ). He suffered from depression throughout high school and has practically no friends to this day . He's now 19 and in college and is doing great academically. He's is brillilant in math, quite the chess player, musician and has a phenomenal memory! :thumbsup: Does your son have any other special talents? I know about the obsessive behaviours and fixations too! :doh: Michael went through stages of fascination with cars, dinosaurs, astronomy, video games and coins just to name a few.

If you would ever like to PM me, I'm always available. I can also chat on Yahoo :hug:

A good description of AS can also be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_Syndrome

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.