-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is the well known 1 John 5:7 aka the Comma Johanneum. Oneness people, usually United Pentecostal will claim the baptism text at the end of Matthew was added, using an argument from silence. Their claim can not be proved. But, the fact that it is quoted often in the Early Church Fathers refutes them.
Trinitarian doctrine is hardly dependent on these 2 verses. Anyway, the Comma Johanneum was probably absent from the Bibles of the Fathers who believed in Trinitarianism. This didn't affect their conclusions.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is written that Yahuweh is not a person, so why would the Holy Spirit, the Ruach HaKodesh, be a person ?
This has always been my problem... calling "God" a person. :) The Son appeared as a person but God is a Spirit and has no flesh or bones. So the use of "person" has always not sat right. Perhaps if the bible used that word to describe the Father, Son and Spirit? But it doesn't.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
God is a Spirit and has no flesh or bones. So the use of "person" has always not sat right.
According to Oxford Dictionary, in Christian theology the word person doesn't refer to flesh or bones but rather to "each of the three modes of being of God, namely the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit, who together constitute the Trinity." Miriam-Webster Dictionary has a similar definition.

Recently, some Trinitarian theologians have admitted that the modern usage of the word "person" doesn't apply to the Holy Trinity.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I
According to Oxford Dictionary, in Christian theology the word person doesn't refer to flesh or bones but rather to "each of the three modes of being of God, namely the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit, who together constitute the Trinity." Miriam-Webster Dictionary has a similar definition.

Recently, some Trinitarian theologians have admitted that the modern usage of the word "person" doesn't apply to the Holy Trinity.
I nderstand, but that definition is a reaction to a religion using a word that applies to man, to God. I dont care that you do it...just saying, God is anything but a person.
Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I dont care that you do it...just saying, God is anything but a person.
I do agree with you. Sometimes I would say 3 entities. Other times I would use the Greek or latin terms that were originally used.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The majority of binitarians I know of are associated with a Pentecostal sect called the "Gospel Assembly" (not to be confused with the Assemblies of God). There are other small Pentecostalist groups who preach binitarianism as well, but the common thread between them is that they all trace back to the ministry of a minister named William Sowders. Sowders conceived of the binitarian doctrine as a middle way between Oneness Pentecostalism and trinitarianism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The majority of binitarians I know of are associated with a Pentecostal sect called the "Gospel Assembly" (not to be confused with the Assemblies of God). There are other small Pentecostalist groups who preach binitarianism as well, but the common thread between them is that they all trace back to the ministry of a minister named William Sowders.
Interesting info. I didn't know about this.

Sowders conceived of the binitarian doctrine as a middle way between Oneness Pentecostalism and trinitarianism.
Actually, Trinitarianism is supposed to be the middle way between Modalism and Arianism. This group sounds like Charismatic JW's :)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do agree with you. Sometimes I would say 3 entities. Other times I would use the Greek or latin terms that were originally used.
And... sometimes I say "persons" so as not to upset those I might be talking to. :)
Be blessed Andrew.
Ken

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are splinter groups of Adventist adherents that have differing views of the Godhead, but the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists holds a strict view of orthodox trinitarianism.

The question of the Adventist view of "Michael" holds more notoriety than it deserves because of the lack of distinction that often occurs between Adventist beliefs and those held by Mormon and Jehovah's Witness faiths. "Michael" is a Hebrew name meaning "like God." Such a name would never have been given to a created being. Michael is not an angel at all, and His designation as Archangel simply refers to His Kingship over all angels. Neither Lucifer nor Gabriel (who appears to have taken his place of prominence after his apostasy) is referred to as "archangels" in Scripture.

Many Adventists believe (as do I) that the Captain of the Lord's host Who appeared to Joshua is a manifestation of the pre-advent Christ, because He accepted worship as no angel would do (Revelation 19:10), (Revelation 22:9).

The list of 28 fundamental beliefs is a good source for identifying orthodox Adventist doctrine. A better source for an in-depth understanding of Adventist beliefs is The Biblical Research Institute, an organization of Bible scholars supported completely by the General Conference (and proceeds from the sales of scholarly works), but completely autonomous in administration and staffing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Michael" is a Hebrew name meaning "like God." Such a name would never have been given to a created being. Michael is not an angel at all, and His designation as Archangel simply refers to His Kingship over all angels.
Yes, I understand this. It's interesting that in Islam they believe Gabriel is the Holy Spirit.

Many Adventists believe (as do I) that the Captain of the Lord's host Who appeared to Joshua is a manifestation of the pre-advent Christ, because He accepted worship as no angel would do (Revelation 19:10), (Revelation 22:9).
Yes, and the Lord Himself is called "God of [angel] Armies" many times in OT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0