Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know him, but what are the bad effects of his ministry (the accusations aside)?

TBH, I don't know all the claims, but without evidence, sometimes all things like this amounts to is a pile of nothing that ruins people's lives. That happened in the church I used to attend to people who were friends of mine. Wild accusations were made against my friend and his family and all were brought to an arraignment and given varying degrees of bail, my friend lost his job, the family was put through the wringer, and when the police literally dug up the family farm looking for the evidence the girls said they buried, they found nothing. Eventually the charges were dropped, but in the meantime, the lives of the whole family were ruined. They didn't even get a day in court to clear their names. They have to walk around for the rest of their lives with this non-happening as part of their history now. It's really a shame. So, as far as the accusations, which shouldn't have been made public till an appropriate time, IMO, I will not pay them any heed till there is something concrete to report.

Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Surely this next passage deserves to be considered here:

"Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it it brought by two or three witnesses." {1 Timothy 5:19 NIV}

According to the Bible there needs to be "two or three" witnesses for an accusation to be entertained. According to the article there are 34 witnesses.

Surely justice demands a thorough and unbiased investigation. And if Bill Gothard is truly innocent he should welcome and even insist upon one.

To me it's a horrible injustice, as well as a horrible slap in the face to those 34 (mostly young) women who have had the courage to come forward against such a powerful man and ministry, to not thoroughly and honestly investigate these alegations of abuse--especially since it's been done under the cloak of Christianity and by an extremely powerful and influential leader.

Yes, it truly is a sin to condemn an innocent man; but so is it also a sin to allow a guilty man to go free.

And I must say: I believe the degree of submission which Bill Gothard supposedly teaches is an absolute recipe for abuse.

God Bless

"He passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished." {Exodus 34:6, 7 NIV}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TBH, I don't know all the claims...

So, as far as the accusations, which shouldn't have been made public till an appropriate time, IMO...

Please don't get upset with me, but after having made the first statement, I don't understand how you can legitimately make the second statement.

I'd like to ask: How many witnesses does it take (remember there are supposedly already 34) for God's church and God's people to begin demanding some real answers. Again, someone who is innocent has nothing to hide and should welcome and encourage a full investigation.

From what I've read, these kind of accusations against Bill Gothard have been circulating for many, many years.

In my opinion, not dealing openly and honestly with these kinds of things gives the unbelieving world a legitimate reason to scoff at Christianity.

"No wonder the Scriptures say, "The world blasphemes the name of God because of you." {Romans 2:24 NLT} (God speaking in Isaiah 52 concerning His professed people.)

God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Please don't get upset with me, but after having made the first statement, I don't understand how you can legitimately make the second statement.

I'd like to ask: How many witnesses does it take (remember there are supposedly already 34) for God's church and God's people to begin demanding some real answers. Again, someone who is innocent has nothing to hide and should welcome and encourage a full investigation.

From what I've read, these kind of accusations against Bill Gothard have been circulating for many, many years.

In my opinion, not dealing openly and honestly with these kinds of things gives the unbelieving world a legitimate reason to scoff at Christianity.

"No wonder the Scriptures say, "The world blasphemes the name of God because of you." {Romans 2:24 NLT} (God speaking in Isaiah 52 concerning His professed people.)

God Bless

As I gave you in my illustration, there are people who will band together and make claims that are not true for their own personal reasons. If there is an investigation (not by a private organization that has an agenda) and the claims are found to be true, then, and only then, should the accusations be made public.

I'd also like to say that years ago, the standard was very different. Things that were said, which is nowadays considered to be sexual harassment, was considered standardplace, and sometimes people mistake the intentions behind things that are said. As I said, I am not against an investigation into these matters, I am against people ruining another person's life without just cause.

And, Biblically speaking, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about approaching someone about a (real or perceived) wrongdoing. And this was not done in a Biblical manner. Anyone who is a Christian would have approached this differently.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our family was just talking about the bad effects of Bill Gothard's ministry this past week....I wonder if he is going to ignore this?

Sometimes it takes things like this - to open people's eyes...

Bill Gothard, Family Planning and Homeschooling Advocate, Accused of Sexually Harassing Young Women and Teen Girls

Hi tammy,

I scanned the article and beyond saying that he picked women to do some secretarial duties, I don't really find any proof that his organization has done what they claim that he has done. They say that they have witnesses to his making unwanted physical contact, but there is no explanation as to what that unwanted physical contact is.

I once worked in an office and was speaking to a woman and put my hand on her shoulder as I spoke to her. Nothing threatening, nor was I her superior, but just as I was speaking to her set my hand on her shoulder. She didn't say anything to me about it, but went to the boss and made the claim that I had made an 'unwanted' physical contact with her. I was dumbfounded! All she had to do was express that the contact made her uncomfortable and I would have removed my hand. I was talking to this woman and had no idea that I was making her uncomfortable and didn't see the gesture as anything ominous, but she obviously did.

Now, if these are the kinds of charges that these people are bringing against the man I would just say, "Gosh, I'm sorry and meant nothing sexually or supervisorial about the gesture." Then know and understand that this is something that that person doesn't like. We are not always aware that we may be doing something that someone else doesn't care for, but don't mean it to be an affront of any kind.

Many people touch and understand that 'touching' is a way of being more in touch. When someone is crying or upset about something we often will hold them close as a message of comfort to them. It shouldn't be taken that that means we want to jump them or bring them some other anxiety about the touching.

We have become a society today that frowns deeply on people touching one another and I don't think that that should be the case. Yes, there are some people who are put off by it and there are some who would conjure wild accusations about the touching, but it most often isn't what the touch was considered to be. Yes, there are some who use touching to progress some other agenda, but likewise, that doesn't mean that everyone who touches is pushing some other agenda.

It seems to me to generally be a matter of how one is brought up. Often times if someone is sitting and you are standing and speaking to them, the one standing may often put their hand on their shoulder as they speak, but it shouldn't be taken as some carte blanch message that they are making sexual or untoward advances on the other. Many people are wary of hugging someone, but I come from a family that did hug fairly often and especially when meeting and so it is something that I have learned is an acceptable manner of greeting someone that I feel close to as a friend or companion.

Today in schools we are teaching our children that touching or hugging is bad. I don't think so.

So, the questions still stands. Were these incidences that this article mentions more aggressive forms of contact or merely the general attitude of the man making the contact. If it is his general nature, then I'm not sure any claim of harassment is valid. However, we often try to paint the actions of others with our own paint so that we see the colors that we want to see and not necessarily the colors that the other wants us to see.

Perhaps we should now put a question on job applications about whether or not someone is ok with touching and then post a list somewhere in the office for everyone to know who is ok with touching and who isn't. As a society we just tend to go overboard in our legislating of behavior and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi again tammy,

However, let me be very quick to add that this is my personal experience and my take from what I see as the general direction of our society. I don't know this man nor do I have a dog in this fight. I agree with others that if it is believed that there is some truth to the claims being made then they should be looked into, but to just say to someone, "Hey, you can't touch people!", isn't right either.

After all, one would be foolish to not know that there are a lot of folks with agendas to tear someone else down just because of jealousy and pride or dislike and these people will grasp at absolutely everything they can find to accomplish their task. I have a relative who, every time their children got in trouble in school, would generally start talking bad about the teacher and making all sorts of wild accusations about how they were against their children, blah, blah, blah, blah.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd also like to say that years ago, the standard was very different. Things that were said, which is nowadays considered to be sexual harassment, was considered standardplace, and sometimes people mistake the intentions behind things that are said.

Hi A New Dawn,

Once again, I hope you won't be angry with me, but I find the above paragraph from you to be troubling to say the least.

The man being accused of sexually harrassing 34 young women was not some heathen, beer drinking, construction worker. He's a man that considers himself God's special annointed servant.

As for his standard of proper behavior, I'll share with you one paragraph from one of the links given in the Christian Post article. I'll highlight the part that I think especially applies (this young man was a part of the staff at Bill Gothard's headquarters; and the "Charlotte" referred to in the paragraph is one of the women who is alleging that Bill Gothard sexually assalted her. Her story can be read on the same site):

"As the months rolled by, I’d see Charlotte here or there, and we’d exchange pleasantries. But I would more often see her alone in Bill Gothard’s office at night when my brother and I (rushing to get home before curfew) would cut across the access road that ran from Madison Street to North Adams Street right by Bill Gothard’s office window. I’d also see her in his car as I walked on North Adams, either on my way to work at the Production Center or while walking from the Production Center to the Staff Center for lunch. While seeing her so much in his office and car seemed inappropriate to me, given how strongly it was drilled into us young men on staff to avoid even the appearance of evil, I disregarded my gut and assumed Bill was counseling her for that “encouragement” she so desperately needed." (I wasn't able to include the link this was taken from because I don't have enough posts. It was taken from the third link in paragraph 2 of the Christian Post article.)

I only quoted this small portion, with the highlighted words, to show you that Bill Gothard and his ministry certainly had a higher standard than what "was considered commonplace." Unfortunately he didn't live by the standard he preached to everyone else.

Anyone at all interested in all of this, and I would think there would be many, should not only read the Christian Post article, but should read the 4 links they give in the second paragraph.

I'll share with you again that passage I believe is so pertinent:

"Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses." {1 Timothy 5:19 NIV}

Remember, supposedly there are already 34 named victims (and supposedly "dozens" of other victims coming forward.)

I have a suggestion to make to those of you who may feel led to come to the defense of Bill Gothard: I think it would be wise to read the Christian Post article, along with the 4 links they give, before doing so.

God Bless,

P.S.--I'll try to address the Matthew 18 thing in my next post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi tammy,

I scanned the article and beyond saying that he picked women to do some secretarial duties, I don't really find any proof that his organization has done what they claim that he has done. They say that they have witnesses to his making unwanted physical contact, but there is no explanation as to what that unwanted physical contact is.

Well, I think, I hope anyways, that "I scanned the article" is the problem.

Please go back and take time to read it, and read the 4 links that are in the 2nd paragraph....I'll post the 2nd paragraph here for you....you won't be able to read those and still hold the same conclusion you have now.

Since the organization, Recovering Grace, published the allegations from various women online, critical mentions of Gothard's alleged sexual harassment have emerged in several publications, such as the Baptists Today News Journal, the Chicago Now blog, Patheos and the American Conservative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi again,

Now, as for whether or not the people/organization at the root of these articles and accusations have followed the instructions of Christ in Matthew 18. I'll just share with you what they have to say about that.

(I tried to post the article in its entirety but couldn't because I have fewer than 50 posts, so I'm going to try to share just the most pertinent part and hope it posts. If you want to read the article in its entirety, it's found in link number three that Tammy shared in the above post.)

As our database of troubling information has grown, our team has struggled over what to do with what we know. We have always tried to demonstrate a grace-based approach to our work and ministry, even towards the one man we believe to be the originator of the greatest damage. However, we also know that God desires both justice and mercy, and that grace does not preclude justice or truth. Every time we hear of another young person struggling with their faith in God, or dealing with chronic health issues because of physical mistreatment and exhaustion while working at a training center, or fighting depression and confusion because they were sexually harassed by Bill Gothard, an inescapable question confronts us: What can we do with this information to ensure that the abuse does not continue to happen?
We based our decision on a passage of Scripture familiar to most ex-ATIers: Matthew 18—wherein Christ teaches us how to deal with a sinning brother. We know that Bill Gothard has been confronted one-on-one many times about his sin, as well as in groups of two and three, so our team believes that it is time for us to engage in the final phase of this process which is found in Matthew 18:17: “If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.”
With this passage in mind, the Recovering Grace team has decided that over the next couple of months we are going to release a large volume of information concerning the life and ministry of Bill Gothard. This information will come in the form of personal accounts, never-before-published documents and correspondence, and factual reports of events that were swept under the rug years ago. Additionally, many of the coming articles will clearly show how individuals attempted to reconcile with Bill Gothard and/or follow the Matthew 18 process but were met with persistent refusal to acknowledge the issues, distortion of the truth, and a resistance to follow biblical steps towards humble repentance.
Guiding our release of this information will be one singular resolution that we hope will put an end to this malevolence once and for all.

After two and a half years of publications, we hope and trust that our readership has grown to understand that this statement and this series of posts is not one born of vindictiveness, spitefulness, or gratuitousness. Our hope is that this undertaking will provide healing for the many victims and repentance to Bill’s heart. Each member of our team has donated countless hours to this project at great emotional, mental, and physical cost, and each of us has, in many ways, left our current lives to revisit a time in our lives that we could just as easily forget. But for the sake of our younger brothers and sisters in Christ who are still in danger, we refuse to look the other way and allow the abuse to continue.

Amidst all of this, it is our ultimate calling before God that drives us now as it has since our first day in July 2011: a calling to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God (Micah 6:8). It is our deepest prayer that God would use the efforts of Recovering Grace to demonstrate publicly what justice, mercy, and humility look like when exemplified in the church of Jesus Christ. We would ask for your prayers and support as we embark upon this endeavor.

The Recovering Grace Team

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi again,

Since I had such a hard time posting what I did in that last post I want to share with you another portion of the above article:

So, on April 20, 2012, we published "Lizzie's story." And as soon as we did, we discovered that we had opened Pandora’s box. The emails and comments poured in like a flood, and we knew that we had stumbled across something bigger than we could have ever anticipated. A few weeks later, we published "Annette's story; a year later, "Grace's." Over the past two weeks, "Meg" has shared with us her very painful personal journey. And, later this week, we will share yet another account.

Since the time that Lizzie’s story was published, we have identified by name at least 34 different women who have experienced the same harassment, and we have sufficient evidence to believe that there are dozens more. We have had men and women who served in IBLP leadership confirm that the allegations are true, although they felt (and often were) powerless to do anything at the time. In fact, we have learned that the IBLP Board of Directors has on more than one occasion addressed this behavior with Bill Gothard, but to no lasting avail.

God Bless

P.S.--I'm not sure what others will think, but I believe this next passage can fitly be applied in situations like this one:

"Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, There is an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Israel: thou canst not stand before thine enemies, until ye take away the accursed thing from among you." {Joshua 7:13 KJV}

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a titch more concerning this Matthew 18 principle.

Below is one of the many responses shared at the end of the above article (in my opinion, many of the responses are well worth reading):

"Apparently you're new here and have missed the beyond numerous accounts given of the dozens if not hundreds of times people here HAVE gone and met with Bill to no effect whatsoever. This is the end stage of his refusing to deal with his sin privately. Bottom line, face-to-face meetings have happened. Individuals have returned with two or three others with no change. Bill's board has been implored to intervene repeatedly... some have tried, but the board has seen near 100% turnover within the last 2-3 years since the Recovering Grace site/effort began.

God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, for those of you who are interested, here's accuser #1 (If you decide to go looking for it, it's called "Lizzie's story" This is Part 1

I was an ATI (Advanced Training Institute) student in Advanced EXCEL at the Dallas Training Center and was headed to college in the fall. Gothard called me down to his office to ask about my plans for the future and asked me to defer college enrollment to come write a series of courses in my intended area of college study for the new Telos program at the Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP). I believed myself unqualified to take on a project of that scholarship and magnitude, but Gothard was insistent that I was chosen by God to prepare this material, and to do so specifically at IBLP Headquarters in Oak Brook, IL. Meanwhile, Gothard wanted me to attend a Character First conference with him in Oklahoma that weekend. Later I would understand that these invitations were based on my physical appearance, not my research and writing skills.
That weekend at the Oklahoma City Training Center, I got an introduction to Gothard’s conduct with young female apprenticeship students who caught his eye. Gothard and the center director showed me to my room that first night, and after some small talk the center director waited awkwardly for Gothard to leave the room with him. Instead of departing, Gothard walked me to the far side of the bedroom. The director shuffled his feet by the door and appeared to be making every decorous effort to indicate it was time to leave. The center director eventually departed, visibly uncomfortable with the situation, and left me alone with Gothard. I tried to simply smile and nod as Gothard took my hand in front of the window and talked about the wonderful opportunities ahead for me. I was alarmed, but had no idea how to object without causing a scene. He pressured me for a firm verbal commitment to come to Headquarters, and I replied that it was not a decision I could make lightly or alone. After several minutes he gave my hand a final squeeze and departed with a grin and a wink. I was 17 years old.
I should have known then that I needed to leave the situation, but by the end of the weekend I had convinced myself that this was a man of God, that I was overreacting, that holding my hand was a fatherly gesture, and that Gothard hadn’t winked at a teenager in her bedroom but rather had something in his eye. I don’t remember whether I even told my parents about this part of the weekend, I self-censored so effectively.
After I went home Gothard called my family’s house regularly until it was determined that I would go to Headquarters, and meanwhile I was invited to travel with him and other members of staff from Oak Brook to a conference in San Jose, CA. Without having yet been assigned a specific job for San Jose, I flew into Chicago, and the group picked me up at O’Hare on their way out of town. Gothard, four male assistants, one other female assistant and I drove to the West Coast ATI conference over several days, and I entered the queasy world of Gothard’s young female traveling companions.
Gothard touched the other girl and me regularly and with increasing frequency. At first he merely offered a hand to help us in or out of the van, and laid his other hand on our backs as we entered or exited. Then he would hold open a door and touch each of our backs as we walked through; this seemed fine the first time, but I wasn’t sure why it was necessary to touch both of our backs with full open hand every single time we walked through a door of any kind. If there was bench seating, his thigh was closely pressed against mine or the other girl’s. He would take and hold my or her hand as we walked to and from buildings. Without asking or announcing, he stroked my hair. If he was sitting opposite me in the van I would often look up to find him gazing at me, and then he would nudge my foot with his. I would smile nervously, pull my foot back, and look back down at my papers. If he was seated next to me in the van he would rest his hand on my forearm or reach over to hold my hand. I learned to hold my papers in whichever hand was closest to him.
He took his shoes off and suggested that the group in the back of the van do the same. I thought he was just being casual until he started playing “footsy” with me in front of the others. Thereafter I kept my shoes on with toes curled to secure them and unsuccessfully tried to angle my legs away from him, but the man has a talent for cornering a girl’s foot in a small space. I could not figure out how to avoid it without making a scene. I struggled to reconcile the cognitive dissonance between assisting the head of a ministry and trying to gracefully fend off a persistent volley of (usually successful) attempts at physical contact.
On the third day of the trip I called my parents from a pay phone at a Cracker Barrel. I left a message about how Gothard kept touching me and trying to engage me in long, intimate gazes, and how I didn’t know what to do about it. By the time I called my parents from San Jose on the fifth day they were frantic, but Gothard had repeatedly admonished me that I should give them a good report “even if I was tired.” Since each of the individual incidents that so troubled me seemed minor, I told my parents I’d just been tired when I left the message and must have misunderstood the situations. I assumed I was just a sheltered girl entering a more sophisticated world.
In San Jose, at first I had no task aside from waiting for Gothard to summon me and the others in our party to his room at midday, although I was eventually able to get an assignment working at the book tables in the evenings. I never had a problem with Gothard touching me on the conference floor, when we encountered ATI families at the hotel, or when someone produced a camera. He confined his touch and gaze to times when we were with the core traveling group in the van or in his suite.
On the trip back to Oak Brook we stopped at a restaurant with a gift shop, and Gothard put his arm around my waist, waved his arm, and said he’d buy me anything in there I wanted. I thanked him, declined, and excused myself. I feared that a gift would indebt me in a way that I could not articulate, but that I knew I did not want. I rejoined the group when I was able to make myself laugh and smile again, as Gothard had rebuked me earlier for not appearing cheerful enough.
After I returned home that summer Gothard continued to call, and I convinced myself that I’d just been overly tired and emotional on the trip. He again convinced my family that God was calling me to complete this project for Telos, and that the project was very important to him personally because of some of his father’s dying instructions.
Once I was at Headquarters it became immediately clear that no one in the Telos program was interested in or had even been informed of this project. I threw myself into reviewing and organizing the raw research I’d assembled and began to write what I was supposedly there to write. Gothard would summon me at various times of day and late into the night to help him with correspondence, but my duties in his office usually included being petted on the arm or hair. I tried to keep a desk between him and myself, but that strategy was only intermittently effective. I submitted the first part of the course I was creating for review by the relevant supervisor, and to the best of my knowledge it was never even read. The project had been killed behind the scenes before I’d submitted any material at all, and Gothard had approved this cancellation months before without telling me. Too slowly I realized that I had not been invited to Headquarters as a course writer, but as a decorative object. I had the kind of tailored suits and long curly hair that Bill Gothard liked. He continued to take me to meetings and invite me to his office at night, and I tried to find any viable excuse to avoid being alone with him. Simply refusing the head of the ministry was not an option in this very hierarchical environment, and at the time I was not aware of any other young members of staff who had successfully done so.
What I did not know was that in the Summer and Fall of 1997, after the San Jose conference and around the time I arrived at Headquarters, the father of one of the young men on the San Jose trip had approached the IBLP Board with a spectrum of concerns about Gothard’s conduct, particularly his penchant for taking young girls on road trips and conducting himself in a questionable manner with them while on those trips. I do not know what Gothard’s verbal or written response was to the Board when presented with these concerns, but I know firsthand that his conduct with me and other young women did not alter in the months after the Board asked him to change his behavior. The other girls and I were all between 15 and 24 years of age.
I stayed and worked at Headquarters because it was too late for me to start college that year, and because I wanted to make a success of my first job. I stopped explaining away Gothard’s creepy and invasive behavior with young women, although I believed myself powerless to do anything about it. I repeatedly saw him initiate long hand-holding sessions with various young women on staff wherein he would rub and massage their hands as he gazed into their eyes. I heard him praise two of my housemates effusively for their “discipline of figure” after one of them lost weight during a serious illness and the other started exhibiting all symptoms of full-on anorexia nervosa, while other girls were “reassigned” from Headquarters for becoming too heavy. I tentatively discussed Gothard’s hyper-tactile behavior with girls who were or had been in my place. I saw girls rotate on and off of Gothard’s roster of favored companions and stopped trying to convince myself that every brush of his hand against a thigh must be a unique accident. There were always between two and six girls on this rotation, and I couldn’t figure out how to get off of it.
My solution to this was to become somewhat surly. This was, of course, not a great plan, but it did lessen the number of invitations to Gothard’s office, and I went on fewer trips. Gothard assigned me to rewrite a footnote about divorce for an upcoming edition of the Zodhiates study Bible, and I declined on the grounds that I did not have adequate linguistic expertise. Gothard assigned me to answer a couple of letters with advice that I could not endorse, and I let the letters die in a drawer instead. I tried to find a space between being a favorite and being seen as obstinate, which is a much smaller space than one might expect. Nevertheless, I was still on the escort rotation, seemingly because I still fit Gothard’s favored physical profile.
The way out was photo day. I was ill the day staff pictures were taken, and my photo was of a pale, sweaty girl with sunken eyes and a chapped smile squinting through glasses. These were to be the photos Gothard viewed and prayed over each morning, and I was never called to his office again.
A well-timed virus had accomplished what all my passive aggression could not, and I was finally off Gothard’s list of favorite objects.

God Bless... and I have another verse for you to consider:

"And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?" {Acts 9:6}

Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now of course, Part 2 (entitled, "Aren't you making too big an issue of this?")

I know the story I recently shared may bring many questions to mind, chief among them, “Don’t you think you’re making too big an issue of this?”
The problems with Gothard’s conduct with his favorite young ladies are several and serious, and I’ll address them in Q&A format.
Why didn’t you just say “No” to the behavior, or confront Gothard?
At first I did not speak up because each individual incident seemed as if it could be explained away as an accident or social faux pas. Perhaps the hand-holding was a misread attempt at friendliness, perhaps playing “footsy” was an attempt to be casual, perhaps gazing intently into my eyes for long minutes was an attempt at spiritual communion, perhaps lingering alone with me in the bedroom was a mere lapse in etiquette. It was the staggering aggregate of several behaviors repeated dozens of times over days, then months, that I could no longer ignore and soon sought to evade. Incredible mental gymnastics were and are necessary to explain away the entire collection of events as accidental or minor. Nevertheless, I did not know how to confront such a master of rhetoric. I had many times witnessed Gothard turn conversations and correspondence against those who questioned his actions, and I did not have confidence that I could frame an objection or appeal that could lead to a different outcome. I was afraid that the consequences of doing so would be a disgraced dismissal from Headquarters or the compromise of my reputation. Other staff members had frequently been sent away under suggestion of misconduct after disagreeing with Gothard’s teachings or actions, and I did not wish to join their ranks.
From what I know of the girls whom Gothard treated this way when I was in his orbit, each was either (1) from a background wherein she was not allowed to set boundaries with authority figures, (2) from a background wherein she received inadequate fathering, and so craved the attention, or (3) was aware that the behavior was inappropriate, but decided that that she couldn’t risk harming the ministry or her own reputation over it. I was in this last category. When at the end of the San Jose trip I described earlier, I finally summoned the courage to discuss with my female traveling companion Gothard’s literally hands-on approach, she agreed that it was troubling and wrong, but said that many people looked up to Gothard and would be terribly let down to know he behaved in this way. At the time, I agreed with the logic that we should protect Gothard’s reputation at the cost of our own rights to our bodies and to not be habitually touched by this older man.
If the behavior was so serious, why didn’t you just leave?
I had set aside a year of my life to complete a project that Gothard had convinced me was God’s will for me to complete, and I later stayed because I still believed in the work of IBLP (the Institute in Basic Life Principles). At the same time I employed a variety of strategies to avoid Gothard’s personal company. In retrospect, I should have left months sooner, but I did not have the courage or wisdom to do so as a teenager.
Gothard plays a mind game with certain young women who may attempt to graciously and discreetly evade his physical affections and implied emotional intimacies. He wordlessly removes that option from the table while verbally assuring them of the importance of their continued presence in the ministry. He uses his position of spiritual and organizational authority to frame leaving his side as leaving God’s will and losing the most effective place for ministry.
If the behavior was so serious, why didn’t you report it?
The problem was with whom to approach with concerns. IBLP was, and still is, structured in such a way that Gothard has no accountability outside of his Board of Directors. During the events I previously described, the Board of Directors was approached with this concern among others, and in turn, approached Gothard with it. This concern was based on reports from students who had worked and traveled with Gothard, and had I known of the Board’s actions at the time, I would have contributed my testimony.
The Board was scattered across the country and convened infrequently. At Headquarters, there was no relevant authority figure to approach with such a report, as the personnel department was in no position to investigate or curtail Gothard’s conduct. I feared my objections would sound like absurd overreactions to other ATI (Advanced Training Institute) people aside from girls who had been in the same role I was in. I was eventually able to articulate my situation using the following sentence: “Mr. Gothard takes liberties with young ladies; liberties that have not been extended to him.” This took the focus off the violations of personal space and privacy that could individually be explained away as “misunderstandings” or “not serious,” and placed the focus on the unauthorized and unwanted nature of the contact.
Don’t you think you read far too much sexual intent into minor incidents?
No, I think that in my youthful naiveté and admiration for Gothard’s work I gave him every benefit of the doubt, until doubt gave way to sickened certainty. At the very least, it is nearly impossible to imagine that a person with Gothard’s decades of experience in counseling and youth work would not recognize my and other girls’ dismay at his incessant attempts at physical contact and moments of engineered emotional intimacy. I would see his hand reaching for mine and pull it away as I managed a tight smile. I would look away from extended gazes, blushing in embarrassment and discomfort. I would try to gracefully change the subject when he, apropos of nothing in the conversation, asked for the “secrets of my heart.” After the first incident of “footsy,” I would contort into whatever position necessary to try to keep my feet my own. I do not know how much Gothard did or did not sexualize this contact, but I know that he pursued it relentlessly and with disregard to the boundaries or consent of the young women involved.
Imagine for a moment if Gothard were as physically free with teenage boys as he is with some young women; imagine he frequently held hands with them, stroked their hair, petted and rubbed their arms, brushed their thighs, played footsy with them, and commented on their bodies, and imagine that these incidents recurred scores of times with many different boys over two to four decades. Would that be seen as acceptable fatherly behavior? What if he conducted himself this way with married women of his own generation; would people assume that the contact was purely brotherly? What if the Governor of a state behaved this way with young interns? There is no reason that the specific combination of Bill Gothard and young girls should receive less scrutiny or be held to a lower standard–especially when there are under-aged girls as young as 14 in the scenario.
Where are all these other girls?
I could name other women whose experiences were similar to mine, but their stories are theirs to tell. I’ve limited my account to things I personally witnessed, but first-person reports of this behavior stretch from the earliest days of ATI to this past year. Even if the behavior had been limited to a very few girls, is there a maximum number of young women it would be acceptable to physically harass before the scale tipped against Gothard? Does his social status grant him an acceptable harassment quota?
Don’t you think a truly immoral person would have made overt advances?
I make no conjecture about the state of Gothard’s soul, only a report on the patterns of his conduct. Gothard’s behavior is condemned by his own clear standards for members of his organization. He does not conform to the code of conduct he so strictly enforces, and any IBLP student or staff member who behaves the way Gothard has with the opposite sex is disciplined and/or expelled as soon as the conduct is discovered. “What I did was not truly immoral” has never been an accepted excuse from an IBLP staff member, and should not be an accepted excuse for Gothard’s violation of his own rules for others.
What’s the problem, if no real crime has been committed?
Actually, Gothard’s conduct could be categorized as sexual harassment in the state of Illinois, but in my situation the statute of limitations has run out. Here are the relevant excerpts from The Illinois Human Rights Act of 1980, 775 ILCS 5/8-111.

The Act applies to all employers who employ 15 or more people within Illinois for at least 20 weeks during the year. 775 ILCS 5/2-101. It also applies to all employers who are sued for discriminating on the basis of handicap or for sexual harassment, regardless of the number of people they employ.
An employee’s civil rights are violated when he or she is subject to sexual harassment. 775 ILCS 5/2-102(d). The Human Rights Act defines sexual harassment as “any unwelcome sexual advances or requests for sexual favors or any conduct of a sexual nature.” 775 ILCS 5/2-101. The Act is violated when these sexual advances or requests become an explicit or implicit term or condition of employment, the basis of an employment decision, or has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual’s ability to perform a job or creates an “intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.”

One can debate the definitions and specific applications of “implicit term or condition of employment, the basis of an employment decision,” and an “intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.” The fact that these topics are even in play, and that some young women affected were younger than 18 years of age, should serve as a red flag to current and prospective associates of IBLP, especially parents thinking of placing their daughters in Bill Gothard’s care.
For young women who have been in or are currently in this situation:
You are not to blame for this older man’s behavior. You did not ask for it, you did not cause it, and you are most certainly not overreacting to it. If you are subject to unwanted physical contact or to alone time with Gothard that is more intimate than you wish or feel comfortable with, trust your inner sense of caution. You are not obligated to spend time with someone who disregards or violates your boundaries of intimacy, propriety, or bodily autonomy, and you are certainly not obligated to alter your boundaries to accommodate him.
If it is possible, voice your objection or leave the situation. If that is not possible because of risk or circumstance, know that you are not at fault and not alone. Document your experiences, even if only for yourself. Discuss your experiences with those you find trustworthy, including other young women in the same situation. Know that no indiscretion or shortcoming in your own life justifies your sexual harassment or spiritual abuse. Know that others have stood where you now stand, and that we’re cheering for you. Then turn around and walk out of there.

God Bless... and again, (this time with a bit of a tweek):

"And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to [think]?" {Acts 9:6}

P.S.--You might find it interesting: this story, as well as some of the others, contains a picture of the accuser.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Honest Al, we do have copyright rules here, and one includes that you cannot copy and paste more than 20% of an article. It would probably be wise if you would edit your posts. We can read it online to get the whole story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honest Al, we do have copyright rules here, and one includes that you cannot copy and paste more than 20% of an article. It would probably be wise if you would edit your posts. We can read it online to get the whole story.

Hi,

My wife just showed me your post. I'm sorry, I didn't know the rules. I'll try hard not to let it happen again.

Thanks, and God Bless

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As far as what the stories say, I don't think anyone here is suggesting that this not be investigated. The issue is not that we think he is innocent, but that errors can be made. The article says that numerous people came forward and offered corroboration once the initial story was published. In the example I listed, once the initial person came forward, numerous others did, too, and made accusations against my friends and they were arrested and arraigned and had to post bail, etc., and when the police investigated (after they were arrested and their lives ruined), they found nothing to corroborate the women's stories. My point is that here in America, people are (or are supposed to be found) innocent until proven guilty. It is part of the justice system. If there are serious allegations, and this is still happening, the authorities should be brought in and it should be left to them to address this.

Upvote 0

Tammy

Dec 26, 2009
Kingsville, OH
Visit site
✟8,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I differ with you there, Dawn.....

This man is EXTREMELY wealthy and for over 30 years he has been successful in stopping investigations. During that time, dozens and dozens of young women have been violated by him.

He is very dangerous, spiritually, as well. His teaching in regards to women being submissive, is straight from BELOW. He used psychology, false doctrine, deception and his authority to brainwash young women...and the parents of many of those young women were blind to what he was doing with their daughters, and trusted him implicitly.

If you take the time to read the reports of the women who have come forward, and more are coming every day...you will see this man is nothing but a wealthy, so-called Christian, PREDATOR....and it is time he pays for what he has done.

This man has influenced Conservative Christian families perhaps more than any single contemporary man in the last 100 years. The false doctrines he has taught will be around forever, to continue to ruin the lives of more young women.

I have to say, I'm really disappointed that there is not more of an outcry from CF members of either SHOCK to find this out, or ANGER that it has not being dealt with as it should be.

I think that Isaiah 58:1 is applicable here:

"Shout with the voice of a trumpet blast. Shout aloud! Don't be timid. Tell my people Israel of their sins! Isaiah 58:1.

It is bad enough when an ordinary man does such things as Gothard has done, but when one in such high authority does this, it is far worse.

The Bible principle of how to deal with sin, has been repeatedly and repeatedly carried out by many of the victims/friends of the victims who have gone directly to Gothard to try to make him accountable, to NO AVAIL. He has successfully squelched the accusations for over 30 years....all the while, continuing on with his abusive behavior, creating more victims all the time.

I'm sorry, but I have NO TIME for such people. They need to be exposed, and punished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The issue is not that we think he is innocent, but that errors can be made. The article says that numerous people came forward and offered corroboration once the initial story was published. In the example I listed, once the initial person came forward, numerous others did, too, and made accusations against my friends and they were arrested and arraigned and had to post bail, etc., and when the police investigated (after they were arrested and their lives ruined), they found nothing to corroborate the women's stories. My point is that here in America, people are (or are supposed to be found) innocent until proven guilty. It is part of the justice system.

Hi Dawn,

I agree with you that it's a horrible thing when an innocent man/person is put through what your friends had to go through. Unfortunately we live in a very imperfect world and there will always be injustices--in both directions. But... in my opinion, I believe society has gone WAY too far in the direction of having more sympathy for the criminal than the victim--and in my mind it's a horrible injustice.

I'll continue in my next post.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Honest Al

Nov 23, 2013
Kingsville, OH, USA
Visit site
✟8,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there are serious allegations, and this is still happening, the authorities should be brought in and it should be left to them to address this.

Hi again,

Maybe you didn't really mean to say what your bolded words appear to be saying, but even if this isn't still happening something still needs to be done and the world needs to be made aware of what this man, and this "ministry," have allegedly done. And there are more than a few reasons why this should be done.

I'll just give you one reason: I have no doubt there are other "ministers," and "ministries," out there that are abusing their power in various ways and to various degrees, and it needs to be clearly made known to them that if they get caught they will be exposed and properly dealt with--both publicly and judicously (when applicable).

I know many in the world have bought into the lie that "punishment does not deter crime," but that's certainly not what God's word teaches:

"Suppose your brother, son, daughter, beloved wife, or closest friend comes to you secretly and says, 'Let us go worship other gods'... If they do this, do not give in or listen, and have no pity. Do not spare or protect them. You must put them to death! You must be the one to initiate the execution; then all the people must join in. Stone the guilty ones to death because they have tried to draw you away from the LORD your God... Then all Israel will hear about it and be afraid, and such wickedness will never again be done among you." {Deuteronomy 13:6-11 NLT}

(Just so there's no misunderstanding: I absolutely do NOT believe that God's people should be stoning people today--we are now under a different system of government.) But the lesson that passage contains is just as valid, and just as important, today as it was then. One thing God hates immensely is those who cause His people to sin. Jesus Himself gave a very similar, and equally solemn, warning while on earth, one we would all do well to take to heart:

"One day Jesus said to his disciples, "There will always be temptations to sin, but how terrible it will be for the person who does the tempting. It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around the neck than to face the punishment in store for harming one of these little ones." {Luke 17:1, 2 NLT}

Going along with that:

"People who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly... much more is required from those to whom much more is given." {Luke 12:48 NLT}

"Dear brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers in the church, for we who teach will be judged by God with greater strictness." {James 3:1 NLT}

I have no doubt that God is very, very angry with "shepherds" of the flock who abuse their power--especially with those who are younger and more vulnerable.

I have to run. God Bless

Upvote 0