Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The state of Ohio has taken the first step to overturn the Republican governor’s veto of a bill that protects children from permanently harmful transgender procedures and assures privacy and fairness for female athletes. Conservatives praised the action, while Democratic opponents accused its supermajority of promoting “a political, hateful agenda” due to “money given by radical Christian groups.” One Democrat screamed, “You are literally killing our children!”

On Wednesday afternoon, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives voted 65-27 to override Governor Mike DeWine’s veto of Substitute H.B. 68, more than the 60 votes required. The measure combines the Save Adolescents from Experimentation (SAFE) Act — which shields children from transgender puberty blockers, cross-sex hormone injections, and surgeries — with the Save Women’s Sports Act, which prohibits men from competing in girls’ sports or sharing their locker rooms. It also prevents courts from denying or limiting custody to a parent who refuses to “affirm” their child’s transgender identity and safeguards state taxpayers from funding minors’ transgender procedures through Medicaid.

The bill earned four more votes on the override than it did when the House passed it on December 14.

Overwhelming Republican support came as no surprise to the bill’s sponsor. “Our momentum is very good,” said State Rep. Gary Click (R-88) on “Washington Watch with Tony Perkins” Tuesday. “My colleagues were clamoring to come back and vote on this. They’re very upset,” with some flying home from as far as Florida to protect children.

Transgender activists in the House gallery briefly screamed in protest and defeat after Wednesday’s results were announced. But Christian pro-family advocates praised the outcome.

Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) thanked the state house for opposing the “politicized and harmful practice of pushing minors towards irreversible drugs and surgeries in favor of compassionate mental health care that gives them time to grow into comfort with their bodies and true identities,” in the words of ADF Senior Counsel Matt Sharp. “No one has the right to harm children, and, thankfully, states have the power — and duty — to protect them.”

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The measure combines the Save Adolescents from Experimentation (SAFE) Act — which shields children from transgender puberty blockers, cross-sex hormone injections, and surgeries

Yay for GOP big government intervention in health care. What's next for GOP culture war nonsense, outlawing birth control? It's an election year, after all, and given they have no actual policy proposals, they'll need something to rile up low information voters.

Transgender activists in the House gallery briefly screamed in protest and defeat after Wednesday’s results were announced. But Christian pro-family advocates praised the outcome.

Nothing biased about this reporting.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What's next for GOP culture war nonsense, outlawing birth control? It's an election year, after all, and given they have no actual policy proposals, they'll need something to rile up low information voters.
Plenty of Republicans have stated that outlawing birth control is a goal.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DeWine vetoed this government intrusion into a family's healthcare decisions which should be between the patient, the parents, the doctors and, ultimately, the insurance provider. Good for him. Too bad the Ohio legislature has nothing better to do than interfere with private medical decisions. So much for "small government and personal freedom".

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ohio's state legislature rightly over rode that veto. That state Senate and state House of Representatives in Ohio appear to be doing what the majority of voters in Ohio want them do to. If the majority of voters disagree with the state Congress, then voters can vote them out in the next election. After all, elections do have consequences.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ohio's state legislature rightly over rode that veto. That state Senate and state House of Representatives in Ohio appear to be doing what the majority of voters in Ohio want them do to. If the majority of voters disagree with the state Congress, then voters can vote them out in the next election. After all, elections do have consequences.
If you can have the legislature mandate what medical services can be offered, then the legislature will also have the power to mandate which vaccines will be mandatory too, art thou sure this be a good thing?

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you can have the legislature mandate what medical services can be offered, then the legislature will also have the power to mandate which vaccines will be mandatory too, art thou sure this be a good thing?
I believe that in a significant majority of the country, we have already seen for more than a few decades that there are mandated vaccines for various diseases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like Dewine has become too woke for the republicans in Ohio. He won't last too much longer. probably

I went back to Ohio and my city was the same crappy city I remembered leaving....
I went back to Ohio, and my city was gone, (I know that song)

Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0