Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
FrenchyBearpaw said:
Jane Goodall also seems to think a large "bigfoot" primate is likely to exist.
Really? That's disappointing. You'd think an actual primatologist would laugh at the idea.

FrenchyBearpaw said:
Really? I was under the impression that the PG film was the one film they considered to not be a hoax.
Apparently they're quite divided on the issue - there's a couple of threads from randi.org with people getting rather heated about it (link 1 and link 2).

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
FrenchyBearpaw said:
We have evidence of previous large primate species existing, so it's really not that much of a stretch to allow for the possibility.
Well as other users have mentioned already, the fact we have yet to find any evidence of bigfoot's existance (particularly since they supposedly live in populated areas like the US) goes against the idea. Plus the whole Bigfoot mythos only dates to around the 1950s anyway.

I guess creatures like Gigantopithecus could have inspired the myths, rather like dinosaur bones inspired the myths of dragons, but the probablity of any of them being alive today is about as likely as finding out the "Loch Ness Monster" is a plesiosaur.

... Do you think bigfoot exists FrenchyBearpaw?

Upvote 0

FrenchyBearpaw

Take time for granite.
Jun 13, 2011
✟4,283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well as other users have mentioned already, the fact we have yet to find any evidence of bigfoot's existance (particularly since they supposedly live in populated areas like the US) goes against the idea. Plus the whole Bigfoot mythos only dates to around the 1950s anyway.

I guess creatures like Gigantopithecus could have inspired the myths, rather like dinosaur bones inspired the myths of dragons, but the probablity of any of them being alive today is about as likely as finding out the "Loch Ness Monster" is a plesiosaur.

... Do you think bigfoot exists FrenchyBearpaw?

I think you might be surprised to find there is much more evidence than you allow for. As for only a recent phenomena, also incorrect, there are over 500 hundred words for the term "bigfoot," and have been reported on all five continents, going back thousands of years.

I have never heard, smelled, or seen one personally. As for my opinion on it's existence, the jury is still out for me. I would like to see some incontrovertible evidence. I grew up in Nor Cal and have talked to loggers, Native Americans, Park Rangers, sheriff's deputies, hikers, hunters, and regular everyday, normal people over the last thirty years, and they believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they had an experience they cannot explain, and fits the "bigfoot" scencario.

It's intriguing to say the least.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you might be surprised to find there is much more evidence than you allow for. As for only a recent phenomena, also incorrect, there are over 500 hundred words for the term "bigfoot," and have been reported on all five continents, going back thousands of years.

I have never heard, smelled, or seen one personally. As for my opinion on it's existence, the jury is still out for me. I would like to see some incontrovertible evidence. I grew up in Nor Cal and have talked to loggers, Native Americans, Park Rangers, sheriff's deputies, hikers, hunters, and regular everyday, normal people over the last thirty years, and they believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they had an experience they cannot explain, and fits the "bigfoot" scencario.

It's intriguing to say the least.
Unless this creature has a lifespan of millennia then suffice it to say that one individual is not enough to sustain a population. We have found all manner of Pleistocence animal fossils and remains (Giant Sloth , sabre toothed cat, mammoth, woolly rhinoceros, etc.) We have not even found any Bigfoot faeces let alone actually having seen one. There is no way an animal that size can survive in a country so densely populated and go unnoticed. Local Myths do not reality nor fact make!

Bigfoot is nothing more than Bighoax! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What exactly do you think is the population density? It would be roughly 0, and this over a HUGE area.
Stop being silly now! Are there any places unexplored in the US? Where do you thing suburbia goes for holidays or hiking, or camping; In Central park? :doh:

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You are showing no appreciation for the vast unpopulated, wild areas we still have. The hiking areas are pretty small by comparison, with few going outside of that. Besides, we don't go on holiday here.

You raised population density, and its a valid point but you obviously have no idea.
Pray tell me how a species can survive with one single individual :confused:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unless this creature has a lifespan of millennia then suffice it to say that one individual is not enough to sustain a population. We have found all manner of Pleistocence animal fossils and remains (Giant Sloth , sabre toothed cat, mammoth, woolly rhinoceros, etc.) We have not even found any Bigfoot faeces let alone actually having seen one. There is no way an animal that size can survive in a country so densely populated and go unnoticed. Local Myths do not reality nor fact make!

Bigfoot is nothing more than Bighoax! :wave:

I seem to remember something called the Coelacanth that ended up in the Lazarus taxon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I seem to remember something called the Coelacanth that ended up in the Lazarus taxon.
The Coelecanth was found off the Madagascar coast in 1938; Hardly comparable to a gorilla type animal living in a well explored and populated country. In 1938 much of the worlds jungles and forest had yet to be explored.

The oceans cover 70% of the planet and have been scantily explored. They are the last Earth frontier and many creatures are left to be discovered.

Like I said the two are not comparable!:wave:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Coelecanth was found off the Madagascar coast in 1938; Hardly comparable to a gorilla type animal living in a well explored and populated country. In 1938 much of the worlds jungles and forest had yet to be explored.

The oceans cover 70% of the planet and have been scantily explored. They are the last Earth frontier and many creatures are left to be discovered.

Like I said the two are not comparable!:wave:
QV please: Shoichi Yokoi

And before you say the two are not comparable again, think "relative scale."

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
QV please: Shoichi Yokoi

And before you say the two are not comparable again, think "relative scale."
If he [Shoichi] was the only surviving member of his species then his species would have become extinct after he died. America has been explored the last 2 to 3 centuries and had Bigfoot been a member of a thriving bigfoot community then we would have discovered them by now; Unless Bigfoot is the last surviving member and he has been alive now for centuries. Like I said the two are not comparable. Also no evidence of his species has ever been found. We have skeletal remains of native Indians dating back thousands of years, and also of the fauna.

Are you really trying to convince us that bigfoot is real? AV are licking toads ;):wave::D

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,915,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you really trying to convince us that bigfoot is real?
I have a feeling cryptozoologists would disagree with you; as well as this lady: Jane Goodall.

Shall I apply your question to her as well?

Put another way, if Ms. Goodall believes in Bigfoot, is it alright with you if I do also?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.