Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Great point. I think the rub is with some is the RCC has been woefully inconsistent with her application of church discipline. Which is a fair criticism. This comes up typically only during election cycles which I think is most of the pushback is coming from. Even though I believe it was the correct decision.
It comes down to which tribe the critic belongs to. If the critic is Republican leaning and likely to vote for Reelecting President Donald Trump then he's a man who talks locker room talk but never did any of the things he talked about and his divorces and remarriages were because his wives were unfaithful or something so he divorced them and remarried and his public lies are just little inside jokes that he doesn't mean and never did. And if the critic is democrat leaning then Joe Biden is a fine upstanding man of great moral integrity whose son is not really relevant to Joe's bid for the presidency.

It's tribal down to the core.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Frankly, I’ve never heard of it happening. Nonetheless, Paul simply warned the Corinthians to take stock and examine themselves since they were drinking too much and gluttoning at the meal. Back then, it was God who took care of the the errant congregants directly (some of them DIED).
If it still worked by God killing the errant then we'd have no politicians in any church receiving communion and surviving ;)

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there absolutely is something wrong with it. "Muslim nations" have Islamic policies. Do you think any unbeliever is going to look at that and think we promote religious freedoms for all of our people? We can't separate "Christian nation" and outlawing all other religions in the minds of our citizens because of all the crap Muslim nations have done to Christians.

Because Christians were the people being prosecuted for heresy. If they were Jews, American would have been based on freedom for Jews.
Why are we, as Christians, willing to toss our Lord aside in order to appease the heathen among us? Why are they more important to us than scripture?

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, well there is that to it. People say what's sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander but I think that in politics it is tribal like it is in religion. President Donald Trump is okay because he's "our guy" so twice divorced thrice married - which implies adultery - boasts about lewd conduct using lewd language is "locker room banter" and lying in public is "joking". On the other hand merely existing is a sin for any Democrat contending for the presidency because they are "batting for the other team". Thus we can expect no rational thinking in the matter and no moral standards much less Christian standards to apply.

You better be sarcasitc about all of this.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why are we, as Christians, willing to toss our Lord aside in order to appease the heathen among us? Why are they more important to us than Scripture?

Why should we deny anyone who does not believe in the Bible's messages the same freedoms that we all have? You look like someone who wants to force everyone to conform to Christianity and make just living here a sin for all the people who are not Christians. Jesus never said nations should do this. It is removing free will, which God gave us, and treating people in ways that Jesus would not.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Is playing with his Tonka truck.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟708,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As for me, I could care less if they let Biden take communion or not. It's the fact that the priest sent an email to the local news rag reporting it that gives me pause.
I agree with you here. This is something that should be between his priest and himself.
It comes down to which tribe the critic belongs to. If the critic is Republican leaning and likely to vote for Reelecting President Donald Trump then he's a man who talks locker room talk but never did any of the things he talked about and his divorces and remarriages were because his wives were unfaithful or something so he divorced them and remarried and his public lies are just little inside jokes that he doesn't mean and never did. And if the critic is democrat leaning then Joe Biden is a fine upstanding man of great moral integrity whose son is not really relevant to Joe's bid for the presidency.

It's tribal down to the core.

I think Trump is a moral Cretan and self admitted at that. Just because I think he stumbles into some positions and policies I agree that does not mean I would admit him to communion. I don’t give him a pass just because he self identifies with a tribe I have more in common with than Biden. Sin is still sin. Yet he did not present himself for communion at the altar of a RCC which is the thrust of the thread. Which I might add is as far as I would go in defending Trump.

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am pro-life. When I start down the road of excluding brothers or sisters who is worthy ? Biden because he does not believe the government should interfere. Who else should be denied the Body and the Blood of Christ? Do I break out the scarlet A’s and other colored letters? How about our servicemen and women as David was excluded from building God’s. House because he shed blood in war. That doesn’t even take into account his other sins. Shedding blood did it.do we exclude everyone who has shed blood.

I am reminded of the story of the Rabbi who was asked to come and talk about those who sinned. The rabbi agreed to come a couple of times and did not come. The group of men went to the Rabbi’s house and complained bitterly about his not coming and talking too those sinners who needed to be spoken to. Finally the Rabbi came. The rabbi had a bucket tied to his back filled with water and several holes poked in it. The rabbi came in and water was coming out and getting everyone wet. The Rabbi was asked why he did this. He answered that His sins are like the water in the bucket and they trail behind everywhere he goes corrupting everything the rabbi comes in contact with. I still hear the Lord speaking t the men who brought the woman caught in adultery to cast the first stone. Thanks . God bless

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, there absolutely is something wrong with it. "Muslim nations" have Islamic policies. Do you think any unbeliever is going to look at that and think we promote religious freedoms for all of our people? We can't separate "Christian nation" and outlawing all other religions in the minds of our citizens because of all the crap Muslim nations have done to Christians.

Nor should we. Islam is from Satan, and Muhammad brought nothing new that was good. (Emperor Palaeologos and Pope Benedict were right.)

We should still remember, however, the historical fact that it was the Christian Kingdom of Axum (modern day Ethiopia/Eritrea) that first offered shelter to the Muslim migrants from Arabia, in Muhammad's own day. Did that change the religious character of the kingdom? According to some later Muslim liars/proselytizers, yes (in their tradition, he converted to Islam); according to actual history as documented at the time, no.

So we can still allow the pagan to live in a Christian society without having to separate our religion out in this way, but no believer in a non-Christian faith therefore has some kind of right to make the society into something it isn't. All countries are God's because God is the Pantocrator (ruler over all); not because we declare them to be this or that. A 'Christian' society can very quickly become something else by demographic shift (we are seeing this now in the West, obviously), but this only happens when the majority (who are still Christian in the United States, anyway) don't vote as though they actually believe that their religion is true, but instead on the basis of not hurting their areligious, or Jewish, or Muslim, or whatever friends' feelings or something.

Because Christians were the people being prosecuted for heresy. If they were Jews, American would have been based on freedom for Jews.

What? America wasn't founded on religious freedom for Christian heretics. The Puritan pilgrims (who I guess would've been heretics relative to the Church of England, maybe? I don't know) didn't found America; they just landed there. The founding fathers (signers of the constitution, etc.) were some Christians, and some generic 'deists' who were specifically anti-Christianity (see, e.g., Jefferson's Bible, where he cut out all the bits that pointed to Jesus' divinity that he didn't like/agree with). Probably because of that mix, they set up a society in which either view would be tolerated, but none would be promoted. But it's not like they said "We hold these truths to be self-evident; Gnosticism/Arianism/Monothelitism/Monophysitism/Adoptionism/Judaizing/etc. are all okay!" That would be a bit close to seeming to endorse particular religious views, wouldn't it?

Cf. the constitutions of the majority of Islamic nations, which specify Islam as the state religion, never to be contradicted, and some which go further and specify that Islamic Shar'ia is to be the source of legislation and never to be contradicted by any other law, etc. Those are positive affirmations of a kind that is not found in the U.S. constitution or bill of rights.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although I am not Catholic, I have a lot of respect for this priest that refused communion to Biden.
For A Mighty Good Reason.
All churches should follow his lead.
M-Bob

Good for the priest, yes. We should put all wolves in sheep's clothing outside the sheep-pen. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you here. This is something that should be between his priest and himself.

I think Trump is a moral Cretan and self admitted at that. Just because I think he stumbles into some positions and policies I agree that does not mean I would admit him to communion. I don’t give him a pass just because he self identifies with a tribe I have more in common with than Biden. Sin is still sin. Yet he did not present himself for communion at the altar of a RCC which is the thrust of the thread. Which I might add is as far as I would go in defending Trump.
I do not think defending President Donald Trump is defensible.

Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why are we, as Christians, willing to toss our Lord aside in order to appease the heathen among us? Why are they more important to us than scripture?
That would be because scripture and God do not matter as much as who is in the white house. Right? :)

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good for the priest, yes. We should put all wolves in sheep's clothing outside the sheep-pen. :)
So no communion for President Donald Trump and no communion for Republican senators?

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As a would-be clergy, I don't think it's my place to decide who gets and doesn't get Communion. However, it is my duty to inform everyone that Communion is for believers, and if you are not one then don't take it. And remind everyone of the seriousness of it, per I Corinthians 11. Naturally, if you don't take I Corinthians 11 seriously, don't take it.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why should we deny anyone who does not believe in the Bible's messages the same freedoms that we all have? You look like someone who wants to force everyone to conform to Christianity and make just living here a sin for all the people who are not Christians. Jesus never said nations should do this. It is removing free will, which God gave us, and treating people in ways that Jesus would not.
The issue isn't about forcing others to be Christians. The issue is about declaring that our laws and ethics will be Christian in nature. Instead our national law and ethics are of the world and it shows.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no politics GingerBeer, but I do object to murder.
I see, so do I and that would be another reason to deny communion to President Donald Trump and many Republican senators. They did abandon Kurdish people to the implacable Turkish military sponsored ethnic cleansing in Syria's north. Many died and many more were made homeless from that decision.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a would-be clergy, I don't think it's my place to decide who gets and doesn't get Communion.

However, it is my duty to inform everyone that Communion is for believers, and if you are not one then don't take it. And remind everyone of the seriousness of it, per I Corinthians 11. Naturally, if you don't take I Corinthians 11 seriously, don't take it.

In the (many churches) that I have attended
that would be considered a weak stance.
M-Bob

Fencing the Table – Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland

Why is fencing necessary?
It is a part of the exercise of the keys of the kingdom which have been given by Christ to the officers of His church (Matt. 16:18). They are to “bind and loose”, i.e., to admit and exclude according to the commandment given by the Lord Himself (Matt. 18:17-18; 1 Cor. 5:4,5,11). In the name of Christ, who is King and Head of the Church and the alone Master of the Feast, the minister is authorised, on the basis of Scripture as the only rule and standard, to make clear who should and should not partake of the Lord’s Supper. It was a great condemnation to the ministers of the Old Testament Church that they “put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean” (Ezek. 22:26). Fencing the Table fulfills this most solemn duty in a public way.

Upvote 0