Biden campaign reneging on transparency promise.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There’s 13 circuit courts administered by nine SCOTUS justices. We need at least four more associate justices now.
I'd rather go by % change in population of the US since 9 justices were first seated, but 13 is a good starting point for the first few weeks of Biden's administration.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would actually prefer a Harris administration. So what’s the problem?

That they can't even be transparent about that. See the title of the thread.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you'll criticize McConnell for changing the rules to get Supreme Court justices approved when he got rid of the filibuster rule for Supreme Court nominees? McConnell change the rule, and if he hadn't we wouldn't be talking about Barrett now being approved.

And then there's the fact that Harry Reid changed the rules that now favor the Republicans. Complain about Harry.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That they can't even be transparent about that. See the title of the thread.
You’d like them to be transparent about the right wing fantasy of a secret Harris administration?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You’d like them to be transparent about the right wing fantasy of a secret Harris administration?

I don't recall asking that question.

• Haha
Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are claiming that the Biden campaign is not being transparent that some people would prefer a Harris presidency?

Read the first 3 lines of post #1 again.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, I’m asking you to clarify. What is it you think they aren’t transparent about when you said this:

Perhaps you should read the title of the thread. You know, as I said (and you quoted).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,930.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Read the first 3 lines of post #1 again.

OK. I have reread them. Now will you please explain you meaning when you said "That they can't even be transparent about that." in response to someone saying he would prefer a Harris administration?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And then there's the fact that Harry Reid changed the rules that now favor the Republicans. Complain about Harry.

I have. At the same time, I'm not the one who attempted to claim, "Vote for the dems, and the power goes to those who want to change the rules when it suits them," when that obviously equally applies to the Republicans. Again, Barrett would not be getting approved by the Senate, at least without Trump winning the election, if the Republicans had not change the rules to suit them.

You seem to be a bit hypocritical here.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have. At the same time, I'm not the one who attempted to claim, "Vote for the dems, and the power goes to those who want to change the rules when it suits them," when that obviously equally applies to the Republicans. Again, Barrett would not be getting approved by the Senate, at least without Trump winning the election, if the Republicans had not change the rules to suit them.

What rule did they change? The president and Senate have always had the power to appoint a SCOTUS nominee. So what's the problem, and what rule was changed? Did they ADD a seat to the court? Nope!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What rule did they change? The president and Senate have always had the power to appoint a SCOTUS nominee. So what's the problem, and what rule was changed? Did they ADD a seat to the court? Nope!

The rule they changed was to get rid of the filibuster on Supreme Court appointments.

I'm not saying it was a problem, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of stating "Vote for the dems, and the power goes to those who want to change the rules when it suits them," when it equally applies to Republicans.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The rule they changed was to get rid of the filibuster on Supreme Court appointments.

I'm not saying it was a problem, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of stating "Vote for the dems, and the power goes to those who want to change the rules when it suits them," when it equally applies to Republicans.

If the dems pack the court so that they get to appoint the number of justices they need in order to always be in the majority, then it doesn't apply equally to Republicans. Once they change the rules, they stay in power and in control.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the dems pack the court so that they get to appoint the number of justices they need in order to always be in the majority, then it doesn't apply equally to Republicans. Once they change the rules, they stay in power and in control.

This doesn't follow to me. After all, currently the Republicans have a 5-3 "advantage" on the Supreme Court -- and it looks as if it will soon be a 6-3 "advantage." In particularly, the last three seemed to have been very conservative justices, which is part of why McConnell removed the filibuster rule for Supreme Court Justices. Are you saying Democrats can't get "power and control" now because Republicans have stacked the Supreme Court with their justices?

Not sure how, if Democrats add four justices to make get a 7-6 advantage, how it would mean the Republicans would never get power and control again?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This doesn't follow to me. After all, currently the Republicans have a 5-3 "advantage" on the Supreme Court -- and it looks as if it will soon be a 6-3 "advantage." In particularly, the last three seemed to have been very conservative justices, which is part of why McConnell removed the filibuster rule for Supreme Court Justices. Are you saying Democrats can't get "power and control" now because Republicans have stacked the Supreme Court with their justices?

Not sure how, if Democrats add four justices to make get a 7-6 advantage, how it would mean the Republicans would never get power and control again?

First of all, the term is court packing, not "stacking". And it doesn't mean appointing someone to fill an empty seat. It means adding seats. Currently, there are nine. Those who want to "reimagine" the system want to add more seats if Biden gets elected so they can fill them with the type of people his administration would rather be in power.
What Does It Mean to Pack the Court?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, the term is court packing, not "stacking". And it doesn't mean appointing someone to fill an empty seat. It means adding seats. Currently, there are nine. Those who want to "reimagine" the system want to add more seats if Biden gets elected so they can fill them with the type of people his administration would rather be in power.
What Does It Mean to Pack the Court?

Yes, this is the reason I used the word "stacking" and not "packing." Don't pretend the Repubicans are not acting politically in trying to bend the Supreme Court to a Conservative viewpoint, particularly when they intentionally wait almost a year to keep a Democratic nominated (but quite moderate) justice from getting a hearing, yet hurry a pick in less than a month in order to ensure a Republican nominated justice gets confirmed.

Upvote 0