Biden campaign reneging on transparency promise.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First of all, the term is court packing, not "stacking". And it doesn't mean appointing someone to fill an empty seat. It means adding seats. Currently, there are nine. Those who want to "reimagine" the system want to add more seats if Biden gets elected so they can fill them with the type of people his administration would rather be in power.
What Does It Mean to Pack the Court?
If I never hear that perverted word of 2020 - "reimagine" -again, it will be too soon.

It's just a petulant childish game. Instead of stand back as decisions they don't like come down - as others have done for decades - they are just going to change the number of the Supreme Court justices in order to maintain their power. It's beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If I never hear that perverted word of 2020 - "reimagine" -again, it will be too soon.

It's just a petulant childish game.
Reminds me of the GOP attempt at "reimagining" the court to have only 8 seats when there's a Democrat in the White House.

• Winner
Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of the GOP attempt at "reimagining" the court to have only 8 seats when there's a Democrat in the White House.
Except it is nothing like that. There was merely a vacancy. It happens.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

It's just a petulant childish game. Instead of stand back as decisions they don't like come down - as others have done for decades - they are just going to change the number of the Supreme Court justices in order to maintain their power. It's beyond ridiculous.

I know. When they don't like the rules, they change them. When they don't like what words mean, they pervert them. When they don't like the laws, they break them.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

They didn't. It still had 9 seats, which is why they had one to fill.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know. When they don't like the rules, they change them. When they don't like what words mean, they pervert them. When they don't like the laws, they break them.

Again, just like Republicans. McConnell didn't like the rules to get a Supreme Court Justice approved, so he changed the rules. Trump didn't like various rules and laws, so he signed Executive Orders and declared National Emergencies.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Again, just like Republicans. McConnell didn't like the rules to get a Supreme Court Justice approved, so he changed the rules. Trump didn't like various rules and laws, so he signed Executive Orders and declared National Emergencies.

McConnell didn't change any rules. The votes simply weren't there.

Also, the president has the authority to sign executive orders and declare national emergencies. No rules were changed, unless Obama's issuing of executive orders was when the precedent was set for that.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
McConnell didn't change any rules. The votes simply weren't there.

McConnell changed the rules at least twice -- if he hadn't Barrett would not be confirmed yet and wouldn't have been confirmed at all. First, McConnell removed the filibuster rule on Supreme Court nominees -- if that filibuster rule was in place, then the Democrats could have blocked the current Supreme Court nominee until after the election. Next, that wasn't enough for McConnell so he changed the rule on debate, limited the amount of time each nominee can be debated. Had this rule not been changed, Barrett likely still would have been approved but it would have taken a couple of weeks longer.

Also, the president has the authority to sign executive orders and declare national emergencies. No rules were changed, unless Obama's issuing of executive orders was when the precedent was set for that.

I'm not arguing that the President doesn't have the right. I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the Republicans who seemingly had no issue when Bush signed executive orders but then screamed about how Obama was threatening the Republic when he used Executive Orders. Then, when Trump was in office, Republicans were cheering him on.

The Republicans have proven their hypocrisy and that they will put politics first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
McConnell changed the rules at least twice -- if he hadn't Barrett would not be confirmed yet and wouldn't have been confirmed at all. First, McConnell removed the filibuster rule on Supreme Court nominees -- if that filibuster rule was in place, then the Democrats could have blocked the current Supreme Court nominee until after the election. Next, that wasn't enough for McConnell so he changed the rule on debate, limited the amount of time each nominee can be debated. Had this rule not been changed, Barrett likely still would have been approved but it would have taken a couple of weeks longer.

I'm not arguing that the President doesn't have the right. I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the Republicans who seemingly had no issue when Bush signed executive orders but then screamed about how Obama was threatening the Republic when he used Executive Orders. Then, when Trump was in office, Republicans were cheering him on.

The Republicans have proven their hypocrisy and that they will put politics first.

Hypocrisy is seen on both sides, and both sides will use whatever advantage they have at the time to further their goals.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hypocrisy is seen on both sides, and both sides will use whatever advantage they have at the time to further their goals.

I believe I've said that a few times around here recently. At the same time, it changes nothing that I stated.

Upvote 0