In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Once again, I would be a hypocritical of me to condemn people when I engage it myself.

However, to those who declare it a selfish act, allow me to ask you one question.

Isn't trying to gain better pay a selfish act? Isn't having sex a selfish act since the largest motivation for it is gratification? Also, your body naturally gets rid of extra sperm through wet dreams. Would your body be committing a sin then?

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Isn't trying to gain better pay a selfish act? Isn't having sex a selfish act since the largest motivation for it is gratification? Also, your body naturally gets rid of extra sperm through wet dreams. Would your body be committing a sin then?

The first is prudence, and the second is not selfish if it is an act of marriage. As for your last question, no, that cannot be a sin because there is no will or intent involved.

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

Does The Bible not say that a man was killed by God for spilling is seed on the ground? [Genesis 38:9] I think that in order to answer this question, one must take into account that The Holy Spirit works on individuals differently from person to person. If masturbation has been something that God has convicted you on, then yes, it's a sin to me.

By the way, I've yet to talk to someone who believes that masturbation is okay, and doesn't deny that a person has lustful thoughts whilst doing it.

Upvote 0

marlowe007

Veteran
Dec 8, 2008
✟23,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course the Bible says it's a sin, but you just need to know where to look. The whole Garden of Eden story is about masturbation. The serpent represents sexual desire; the forbidden fruit is the sexual organ and the tree of knowledge is the nerve system. Read metaphorically, the fall of man was nothing but the descent into a more carnal nature.

Moreover, God most likely ordained circumcision to prevent people from masturbating.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course the Bible says it's a sin, but you just need to know where to look. The whole Garden of Eden story is about masturbation. The serpent represents sexual desire; the forbidden fruit is the sexual organ and the tree of knowledge is the nerve system. Read metaphorically, the fall of man was nothing but the descent into a more carnal nature.

Moreover, God most likely ordained circumcision to prevent people from masturbating.
And yet sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i have done some research into this, its a well debated and gray area. I admit i do it, but i just don't know if its a sin or now? can anyone shed some definite light on this backed up with sound scipture? BTW what does sexual immorality mean? can anyone give some examples?? does sexual immorality include using a device when masturbating?

Also, i am a young man. How can we avoid any sin that is about flesh or things that goes on in our mind. Sometimes my imagination just works by it self! i don't even want to think about sex and picture enters my mind, is that a sin or tempation by the devil?

all help appreciated, please pm me if you have replied, i am really really forgetful, thanks :hug:
Sexual immorality is sex that is not moral, which equates to any sex outside of the marriage between a man and woman, and within that marriage, the sexual union should be of mutual respect, love, and spiritually good.

Masturbation is a sin because if is self abuse (and selfish as my friend, Kristos pointed out). It is self serving and abusive just as gluttony is as an example.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sexual immorality is sex that is not moral, which equates to any sex outside of the marriage between a man and woman, and within that marriage, the sexual union should be of mutual respect, love, and spiritually good.

Masturbation is a sin because if is self abuse (and selfish as my friend, Kristos pointed out). It is self serving and abusive just as gluttony is as an example.
Abuse? Gluttony I can see because you can end up obese and with serious health risks but how exactly does masturbation qualify as abuse?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Abuse? Gluttony I can see because you can end up obese and with serious health risks but how exactly does masturbation qualify as abuse?
You're abusing your own sexual organs, which were not created for that purpose, but for the sexual union between a married man and woman for mutual love and for procreation.

It is a selfish act because you are not mutually, selflessly giving to your spouse through the union in marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It is abusive because you are abusing your own sexual organs, which were created by God through the sacrament of marriage (union between man and woman) for love and procreation.

It is selfish because you are not mutually selflessly giving to your spouse in the sexual union in marriage. God's gift of sex (and its pleasure) was given to the married couple.

eta: Sorry for the double post. In the middle of my last post, it jumped to some other screen, and when I went back, it was gone. I assumed it didn't take.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're abusing your own sexual organs, which were not created for that purpose, but for the sexual union between a married man and woman for mutual love and for procreation.
Sounds like a complete and utter trivialisation of the word abuse and an insult to anyone who has ever actually been abused to me.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like a complete and utter trivialisation of the word abuse and an insult to anyone who has ever actually been abused to me.
You're certainly entitled to think what you want.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

optiong

Jul 28, 2009
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you touch what do you think of? If you are thinking of a woman it is lust, which is a sin, and you have already committed adultery with her according to Jesus. Everytime I masturbated I was always thinking of a woman, so I don't know how many women I have committed adultery with since I started. There was always a little sex scene playing in my head, which is horrible and I regret every time I have done that vile act.

I struggled BIG time with masturbation and inappropriate content. I called to Jesus because I was disgusted at what I was doing and He took away my urge for such things.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you touch what do you think of? If you are thinking of a woman it is lust, which is a sin, and you have already committed adultery with her according to Jesus. Everytime I masturbated I was always thinking of a woman, so I don't know how many women I have committed adultery with since I started. There was always a little sex scene playing in my head, which is horrible and I regret every time I have done that vile act.

I struggled BIG time with masturbation and inappropriate content. I called to Jesus because I was disgusted at what I was doing and He took away my urge for such things.
Indeed, when a person thinks too deeply when he is masturbating, then masturbation becomes sin. A person must exert self-control.

1 Corinthians 7:1-2 It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her husband.

1 Corinthians 7:8-9 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is masturbation a sin?

Depends on who you do it with, or over. As long as it's your spouse that's good. If it's not, that's bad. I think it is a matter of conscience whether it's OK to touch over a picture of your husband/wife while you are away from them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

optiong

Jul 28, 2009
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, when a person thinks too deeply when he is masturbating, then masturbation becomes sin.

Masturbation isalways a sin for me; like I said I always thought of a woman, and I think it is a sexual release you shouldn't get anywhere else but through natural sex with your spouse.

Now wet-dreams are probably in the clear. They are a natural way for your body to release when you are sleeping and you have no control over it.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Masturbation isalways a sin for me; like I said I always thought of a woman, and I think it is a sexual release you shouldn't get anywhere else but through natural sex with your spouse.

Now wet-dreams are probably in the clear. They are a natural way for your body to release when you are sleeping and you have no control over it.
Yes, for sex is God ordained.

I agree.

Upvote 0