Biblical "science" Christians no longer believe

Genesis 1:16
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
We no longer believe the moon is a light. We now know it reflects sunlight during the night.

Leviticus 11:5-6
And the coney, because he cheweth the cud , but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
And the hare, because he cheweth the cud , but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.
We now know hares don't chew cud.

1 Kings 7:23
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
This is the popular verse that implies the Biblical value of Pi is 3. At one point in US history, ultra-religious state legislatures (Tennessee I think) actually attempted tp legislate the value of Pi to be the Biblical 3. Of course, today we know its accuracy. Also, at the time this was written, the Egyptians had a much more accurate value.

1 Chronicles 16:30
Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

Psalms: 19:4-6
Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
These are the key versus the early Catholic church used to enforce the idea that the earth was stationary and the center of all things. We now know this isn't correct.

Isaiah 11:12
And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
Among the many verses used to define the earth as rectangular and flat by early Christians. We now know this isn't correct. While the translation for the creation of the KJV edition of these passages are dubious, early Christians believed the earth was flat.

Isaiah 34:7
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.
We now know unicorns are mythical beasts of the early Britons. Again, the translation of these verses referring to "Unicorns" are questionable, nonetheless, early Christians believed in unicorns (because of their mention in the Bible), but not today.

Revelation8:10
And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
We now know stars are distant suns, and not simple lights that can fall from the sky.

These are a small sampling, and not necessarily representative of all the possible passages that conflict with modern knowledge. As we mere humans learned more about our natural world and science, we modified our thinking relative to these verses.

Since it happened before, why not again? Biologic evolution helps to define our diversity as a species, and the diversity of life on this planet. Irregardless of how it started (intelligent or not), the quantifiable evidence is equal (or greater) to that which caused the church to alter its opinion on the earth being positioned at the center of the universe. Why then, is there such resistance to change?

We now know unicorns are mythical beasts of the early Britons. Again, the translation of these verses referring to "Unicorns" are questionable, nonetheless, early Christians believed in unicorns (because of their mention in the Bible), but not today.
But what if the unicorns died out before the flood? We all know the entire fossil record was laid down from the flood, so there'd be no fossil record of them.

I'm just trying to help the creationists get started. I'm really interested in hearing an explanation for the last one. Meteor = great star? If it were April 1st, maybe.

Upvote 0
I'm not interested in discussing the actual accuracy of these points (that's a whole other thread). Instead, these are items Christians used to believe in, until modern knowledge filled in the blanks.

It would seem that giving up the belief that the earth is the center of the universe is much more fundamentally faith rattling than accepted biological evolution.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Tinker Grey
The bit about Tennessee legislating PI = 3, is an Urban legend. The original "sighting" of this legend referred to Alabama.

Here is the reference. http://www.snopes2.com/religion/pi.htm

Tinker

But it does include this statement:

Though the claim about the Alabama state legislature is pure nonsense, it is similar to an event that happened more than a century ago. In 1897 the Indiana House of Representatives unanimously passed a measure redefining the area of a circle and the value of pi. (House Bill no. 246, introduced by Rep. Taylor I. Record.) The bill died in the state Senate.

Upvote 0
It is Tennessee, perhaps 1910-1920, I'm looking for the reference material.

Schools in Arkansas at the time used the activity in Tennessee to briefly teach Pi s 3.0.

Anyway, the point of this thread is not the history of the value of Pi, but the manner in which aspects of Biblical beliefs have been modified by science throughout history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
From this reference http://www.urbanlegends.com/legal/indiana_pi_bill.html we have the bill that was introduced to the Indiana house in 1897.

According to the website, this bill means that they wanted to make PI = 3.2. This seems to agree with the text below (arg ... legalese!).

In any case, it would not to have anything to do with the Biblical value of PI.

ENGROSSED HOUSE BILL
No. 246

A Bill for an act introducing a new mathematical truth and offered

as a contribution to education to be used only by the State of Indiana free of cost by paying any royalties whatever on the same, provided it is accepted and adopted by the official action of the Legislature of 1897.

Section -1- Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana: It has been found that a circular area is to the square on a line equal to the quadrant of the circumference, as the area of an equilateral rectangle is to the square on one side. The diameter employed as the linear unit according to the present rule in computing the circle's area is entirely wrong, as it represents the circle's area one and one-fifth times the area of a square whose perimeter is equal to the circumference of the circle. This is because onefifth of the diameter fails to be represented four times in the circle's circumference. For example: if we multiply the perimeter of a square by one-fourth of any line one-fifth greater than one side, we can in like manner make the square's area to appear one-fifth greater than the fact, as is done by taking the diameter for the linear unit instead of the quadrant of the circle's circumference.

Section -2- It is impossible to compute the area of a circle on the diameter as the linear unit without trespassing upon the area outside of the circle to the extent of including one-fifth more area than is contained within the circle's circumference, because the square on the diameter produces the side of a square which equals nine when the arc of ninety degrees equals eight. By taking the quadrant of the circle's circumference for the linear unit, we fulfill the requirements of both quadrature and rectification of the circle's circumference. Furthermore, it has revealed the ratio of the chord and arc of ninety degrees, which is as seven to eight, and also the ratio of the diagonal and one side of a square which is as ten to seven, disclosing the fourth important fact, that the ratio of the diameter and circumference is as five-fourths to four; and because of these facts and the further fact that the rule in present use fails to work both ways mathematically, it should be discarded as wholly wanting and misleading in its practical applications.

Section -3- In further proof of the value of the author's proposed contribution to education and offered as a gift to the State of Indiana, is the fact of his solutions of the trisection of the angle, duplication of the cube and quadrature of the circle having been already accepted as contributions to science by the American Mathematical Monthly, the leading exponent of mathematical thought in this country. And be it remembered that these noted problems had been long since given up by scientific bodies as insolvable mysteries and above man's ability to comprehend.

ENGROSSED HOUSE BILL
No. 246

Read first time Jany. 18th, 1897

Referred to Committee on
Canals - rep. and referred to Com.
on Education Jany. 19th, 1897
Reported back Feby. 2d, 1897
Read second time Feby. 5th, 1897
Ordered engrossed Feby. 5th, 1897
Read third time Feby. 5th, 1897
Passed February 5th, 1897
Ayes - 67 - Noes -0-

Introduced by Record

IN THE SENATE.

Read first time and referred to
com. on Temperence, 2/11/97
Reported favorable 2/12/97
Read second time and indefinitely
postponed 2/12/97

Upvote 0

Oliver

Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
✟15,992.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I would have liked snopes to post the contents of the bill. Would'a been interesting.

God bless,
Tinker

I found this:

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana: It has been found that a circular area is to the square on a line equal to the quadrant of the circumference, as the area of an equilateral rectangle is to the square of one side.
(Section I, House Bill No. 246, 1897)

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by theyre here

1 Kings 7:23
And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
This is the popular verse that implies the Biblical value of Pi is 3. At one point in US history, ultra-religious state legislatures (Tennessee I think) actually attempted tp legislate the value of Pi to be the Biblical 3. Of course, today we know its accuracy. Also, at the time this was written, the Egyptians had a much more accurate value.

Two objections:

1. The story about the state legislature is an urban legend. While one state did nearly pass a resolution that would have endorsed something that implied that pi was 3, it was a very different story.
2. Allowing for significant figures (or, in this case, figure, singular), pi is, in fact, 3. It's also 3.1, or 3.14, or 3.142, or 3.1416, or 3.14159.

"ten" is not 1.0*10^1, it's 1*10^1. "ten" times "pi" is 3*10^1.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From this reference http://www.urbanlegends.com/legal/indiana_pi_bill.html we have the bill that was introduced to the Indiana house in 1897.

According to the website, this bill means that they wanted to make PI = 3.2. This seems to agree with the text below (arg ... legalese!).

In any case, it would not to have anything to do with the Biblical value of PI.

Thanks! An excellent job of tracking down something I've never read before, but I've heard about.

This just testifies: People will take *ANYTHING* if it's free.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by seebs

The story about the state legislature is an urban legend.

Not in Tennessee. I'm still searching my records for the reference.

In any event, this is not the point of the original post.

The point is, throughout history, science has played a role in revealing aspects of our environment that have conflicted with accepted religious that originated out of a strict reading of Biblical passages. Beliefs changed, life went on, Christianity continued. Evolution may very well be another aspect that causes beliefs to be altered.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Not in Tennessee. I'm still searching my records for the reference.

In any event, this is not the point of the original post.

The point is, throughout history, science has played a role in revealing aspects of our environment that have conflicted with accepted religious that originated out of a strict reading of Biblical passages. Beliefs changed, life went on, Christianity continued. Evolution may very well be another aspect that causes beliefs to be altered.

I'm pretty sure the story is still an urban legend, even if there's a kernel of truth. Everyone else I know that's researched it eventually came back to the Indiana legislature's acceptance of "free" mathematical results.

I do, however, agree with the basic gist of your post; people need to get used to the realization that the Bible is not, and has not been, a science textbook.

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic

I have no doubt that it will. The Catholic church has already taken some steps to incorporate evolution into the Biblical creation, and most mainstream Protestant churches have as well. In 100-200 years (maybe less) this will be a non-issue, the same way that heliocentrism and gravity are now. This is why I'm not all that interested in debating evolution vs. creation -- in the end it won't matter.

The first step is for people to become more informed about Evolution, which is hard because of the repeated attempts to keep it out of public schools. (If not for these attempts, the creation vs. evolution wouldn't be such a big debate.)

-Chris

Upvote 0