Biblical proof for eternal security with just two verses.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know. There are probably hundreds of verses that teach Eternal Security but I've decided to go with 1 john 5:4 and Revelation 3:5.

1 John 5:4 KJV

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."

Revelation 3:5 says:

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

First in 1st John 5:4 we learn that those who have been born again overcome the world and those not born again are enslaved to the world. In Rev 3:5 Jesus says that those who overcome the world (are born again) will not be blotted out of the book of life. The ESV says it even stronger and translates the Greek word μή (mē) as "never". So it's translated as God will never blot our names out of the book of life. Those who are born again are forever sealed by the Holy Spirit. How could they EVER be lost? Especially when you'd have to throw out half your Bible to get a good description of it.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The texts show security but not OSAS.

There is a difference between actual assurance as we see in Rom 8:13-16 -- and OSAS.

4 Point Calvinism argues OSAS no matter if one perseveres or not. Accept Christ then live like the devil - then still saved.

3 and 5 point Calvinist argues OSAS but one must persevere to actually have it so you can't know if you have it until you see that you still persevere 50 years from now.

By contrast we have "Forgiveness revoked" in Matt 18
We have salvation revoked in Rom 11
We see "Severed from Christ, Fallen from Grace" in Gal 5
We see "branches in Me" removed , cast into the fire and burned up in John 15:1-6

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know. There are probably hundreds of verses that teach Eternal Security but I've decided to go with 1 john 5:4 and Revelation 3:5.

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."

Revelation 3:5 says:

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

First in 1st John 5:4 we learn that those who have been born again overcome the world and those not born again are enslaved to the world. In Rev 3:5 Jesus says that those who overcome the world (are born again) will not be blotted out of the book of life. The ESV says it even stronger and translates the Greek word μή (mē) as "never". So it's translated as God will never blot our names out of the book of life. Those who are born again are forever sealed by the Holy Spirit. How could they EVER be lost? Especially when you'd have to throw out half your Bible to get a good description of it.
The phrase "born of God" is used to refer to those who have been regenerated by His Holy Spirit (" My Father and I will make Our Home in you"). It is a spiritual birth that brings about a new life in Christ. Those who are born of God have a new nature and a new relationship with God. It has nothing to do with eternal security as a matter of fact, you can find just as many verses warning of apostasy. Those who were once in the faith then fell away.
Blessings.

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The security is found with God, we have a birthright to heaven which cannot be taken away, stolen, misplaced and even God will not take it back, but since this birthright is truly ours, we can give it away like Esau gave his birthright away and we are told not to do the same as him. We still have free will.

Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The texts show security but not OSAS. ...

We see "Severed from Christ, Fallen from Grace" in Gal 5
We also see that they were relying on the works of the law and stumbled.
The phrase "born of God" is used to refer to those who have been regenerated by His Holy Spirit (" My Father and I will make Our Home in you"). It is a spiritual birth that brings about a new life in Christ. ...It has nothing to do with eternal security as a matter of fact, you can find just as many verses warning of apostasy.
The warnings are for the backsliders who fail to partake of His divine nature, which of course is eternal. He became the source of eternal salvation...Heb 5:9
The security is found with God, we have a birthright to heaven which cannot be taken away, stolen, misplaced and even God will not take it back, but since this birthright is truly ours, we can give it away like Esau gave his birthright away and we are told not to do the same as him. We still have free will.
And you're still condemned for doing the same.
Whoever believes, [trusts in Him as Lord and Savior] is not judged; but the one who rejects Him is condemned already... John 3:18

How many times must you remind reprobates that those who turn back to human merits were never saved to begin with?

The people God accepts live [together with Christ] because of their faith. ...
we do not belong to those who turn back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved. Heb 10:38-39

For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; 1 John 2:19-20

Last edited:
Upvote 0