Bible Software packages for the computer?

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Using a Mac presents some challenges. I bought MacBible from Zondervan 6 years ago and it still works great in OS 9.2.2 (I use Hebrew, Greek LXX, Greek NT, NAS, NIV, NRSV, and NIV Study Notes).

However, in the not-too-distant future I will be converting to OS X fully - and then it will be Accordance Bible software - the best available on any platform, for serious academic study.

But for the most part I have used books, papers, etc. for the past 25 years - I like the feel of a book!

Upvote 0

LuckyCharm

Back from Iraq 5 Apr 04
Feb 23, 2002
Tacoma, Washington
Visit site
✟8,105.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I use QuickVerse 7.0, and have for years -- LOVE it! Not only does it include the Bible (in about fifteen different translations), but many many reference works and Christian classics like Pilgrim's Progress, the Imitation of Christ, etc. etc. etc...

Costs a pretty penny, but it's been worth it, to me!

~~Cheryl

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cheers for esword. Very iterative and user friendly. A pastor at my church said that esword was more user friendly than a $300 program he has.

I even purchaced the NASB update. for $20 it was worth it.

Hopefully they'll get approval to include the NIV and other versions at some point. The available commentaries are good also though I wish more of them were from versions other than the KJV.

Still, free is a price I can definately afford.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cthoma11

Up in Canada
Jun 11, 2002
Canada
Visit site
✟278.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by kelco
e-sword is really great and best of all it's free!

www.e-sword.net

I find that E-Sword is very slow to load (1.6G P4 with 512M RAM). Once loaded, it seems OK.

I have used the online bible (OLB) for years. http://www.onlinebible.net It definitely is faster than E-Sword. It has the ability to create your own modules and thus a huge amount free modules available. https://www.quickbase.com/db/6xeeg5d9?nt=1

One of the things that E-Sword has that OLB doesn't is the back and forward history buttons. Like when you are browsing and you go down a rabbit hole then want to find your way back to where you started. Easy with E-Sword but not so with OLB (unless you set a bookmark.)  I really hope the OLB developers add this.

The OLB's interface is a little querky (and dated) when compared to today's windows apps, but is OK once you get used to it. The ability to navigate through chapters and not just verses within a chapter using the cursor keys is one benefit OLB has over E-Sword. The entire set of function buttons is configurable on the OLB.

OLB is free as well (you can pay for some of the copyrighted versions (NIV, NASB, NRSV and others).)

There are some web sites which have done reviews of many of the packages out there. One is http://www.biblebell.org/links/bibleSW.html (he likes E-SWORD) and another one with more reviews is http://magicref.tripod.com/biblpc.htm  (He likes E-Sword, OLB and Logos-X)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by blueiverson
i've tried to dl e-sword, but it doesn't seem to want to install on my computer. it crashes everytime, so i've been trying to find out about some other ones. any other suggestions?

from the e-Sword site:

During the install you may run into one of the following errors. These are not critical errors and they are easily fixed.

Error 1335, or Internal Error 2355
This error will typically occur on a corrupted setup file. Make sure you have downloaded the complete file by checking that the file size is 17,507,023 bytes. This error can also be cause by anti-virus software. Try turning it off temporarily.

Error 1931. The Windows installer service cannot update the system file *** because the file is protected Windows. You may need to update your operating system for this program to work correctly. 
This error will typically occur on a Windows 2000 system that is running in a security mode that does not allow overwriting this file. You can ignore these errors and proceed with the installation. The file already exists on your computer and is up to date anyway.

After installation you may run into the following error when first starting e-Sword. It is also easily fixed.

ActiveX component can't create object 429
The database control didn't get registered properly. Try running the following command from the "Run" dialog (accessed by selecting "Start" from the taskbar, then choosing "Run"):

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll"

You may want to copy and paste the command, rather than typing it in.

was it like these errors or was it something else?  In the past I've had problems with firewalls and virus scanners causing probs with installs....you might try shutting those down before install.

Upvote 0