Bible reading frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinityisunity

Has lost 14 kilos (31 pounds) in 14 weeks!!!
Apr 16, 2006
In a house
✟1,291.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The home/cell group I lead is doing a study on the Bible. Well it is really on steps to reading your Bible - to get you enthused and into a habit of reading your Bible regularly.

My question is; How often do you read the Bible and for how long? ie. 1 chapter, 2 chapters , 1 verse, etc, etc. 1 hour, 30 min, 10 min, etc, etc. Do you follow a plan or just randomly pick a section to read everyday?

I realize this is a personal subject but I am very interested in getting a good cross section of Baptist Bible readers answers on this important discipline of the Christian walk.

God bless.

trinityisunity

Has lost 14 kilos (31 pounds) in 14 weeks!!!
Apr 16, 2006
In a house
✟1,291.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
ok I will go first.........

I read a chapter (sometimes two if shorter chapters) a day in the morning upon awaking and as long as I have started a good cup of coffee! At the moment I do not follow a strict Bible reading plan as I am trying to get through the OT on my own plan - one book at a time, and yes I am enjoying the challenge! Currently 75% through Isaiah. My Bible reading has become a habit and something feels wrong if I do forget to do it when on holidays or a weekend so I end up catching up on those days when possible. I do not read for gaining of salvation or browny points but out of a passion for the Word and for it to grow me. How do you get to know someone? You spend time with them, ie the Christian wants to get to know God - read His book and spend time in prayer!

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At the minimum I try to read 1 chapter of each: New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs. I try to also get an OT chapter in. That is just my personal quiet time. If I am studying - whether for a class, for something I'm going to teach/preach or whatever I will do additional study above and beyond that.

Edit - and as to frequency I try to do it every day. Sometimes I will miss a Saturday, or even a Sunday. Monday through Friday I pretty much never miss though.

Upvote 0

Wade Smith

Aug 5, 2008
L.A.
✟1,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The home/cell group I lead is doing a study on the Bible. Well it is really on steps to reading your Bible - to get you enthused and into a habit of reading your Bible regularly.

My question is; How often do you read the Bible and for how long? ie. 1 chapter, 2 chapters , 1 verse, etc, etc. 1 hour, 30 min, 10 min, etc, etc. Do you follow a plan or just randomly pick a section to read everyday?

I realize this is a personal subject but I am very interested in getting a good cross section of Baptist Bible readers answers on this important discipline of the Christian walk.

God bless.

This is very odd for me. I have never been a person who has a "schedule" of when to read the Bible.

Some days I probably do not even read a verse at all, other than what I may quote or read on a webforum or such.

Other days, I may sit and read several entire books of the Bible in one sitting. On several occasions I have sat and read the entire New Testament in one or two sittings.

So it just depends on what God puts in my heart that day. I suppose the long periods of reading may be to "make up for" all the times I don't read, but then, "There is a time to sow, and a time to reap." Not that such excuses laziness, it doesn't.

"Discipline" is much more than just "having a schedule". In fact, in many cases, the "schedule" gets in the way.

following is a passage I have already quoted several times on this forum. While not really "on topic" it is still relevant. Do we REALLY "hear" from God in our "ritualistic" approaches to worship and bible study?

Here this brother is writing about the "New Testament Church", one of those churches that was involved in the Revivals of the early 1900's, this is about 1906.

Human organization and human programs leave very little room for the free Spirit of God. It means much to be willing to be considered a failure, while we seek to build up a purely spiritual kingdom. God’s kingdom cometh not with observation, (Luke 17:20). It is very easy to choose second best. The prayer life is needed much more than buildings or organizations. These are often a substitute for the other. Souls are born into the kingdom only through prayer.

I feared the "NewTestamentChurch" might develop a party (sectarian) spirit. A rich lady offered them the money to build a church edifice. The Devil was bidding high. However, she soon withdrew her offer, and I confess I was glad she did. They would soon have had no time for anything but building. It would have been the end of their revival…

Most of what goes on at "Church", whether pentecostal, or baptist, or non-denominational, or home church, or cell group, or catholic, or any other group, most of it hasn't got the slightest bit to do with the will of God. Its just man made programs and schemes.

We must never turn "church" or prayer or Bible reading into some religious ritual or scheme.

The pharisees did that, but did not truly know Jesus.

"Religion" is one of the most dangerous things that can happen to a Christian.

But Jesus said, "Where two are three are gathered together in my name, there I am also in the midst of them."

So anyway, tying it all back in, I submit that, if your Bible study is on a "schedule", you may have a problem.

Upvote 0

sealacamp

Jun 26, 2008
Fairburn Georgia
✟2,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God bless.

I read at least one chapter a day. Two if I have time except when I am on vacation.

Sealacamp

Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I usually read at least 2 chapters a day in the morning when I get up. I get up early in order to do so. I also try to read an entire book at one setting once a month but do not always have the time to do it. I have some schedules but do not follow them. Actually 2 chapters a day will get you nearly through the entire Bible in a year. The real issue isn't how often or how much you read but how you read. Most read their Bibles with their minds in neutral. If you only read a single verse you need to get the context in order to get the message of the verse. You must read with your mind engaged and observe, interpret and apply. Read thoughtfully and with purpose. Meditate on what you read and find Christ. He is the message of the whole Book. Read with the entire teaching of the Bible in mind. Scripture interprets Scripture and it has one message throughout. Far too many have a snipit religion. They take a verse here and a verse there and build what they believe from them without any consideration of the context or the teaching of the Bible as a whole.

Upvote 0

20questions

Nov 16, 2008
✟185.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I typically don't read it. I'm not a big reader. I can pick up a book and in a few minutes my eyes cross and I feel like I need a huge espresso. I don't think this a bad thing though. That's what preachers are for right? I find it's quite common for people not to read it actually. They'll have a couple of favorite verses and that's enough for them.

Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
20questions, if you only feed your physical body once a week how healthy are you going to be? How strong are you going to be in order to be able to fight off infections that attack your body? How much energy are you going to have?

Well our spiritual lives are the same. If you're only being fed once a week, by other people, then you aren't going to be very healthy spiritually. I

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.