✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello,

I realize that the topic of this thread really doesn't fit in "General Theology", but I really didn't see anywhere else were it fit either...

I do a bit of PHP coding and I would like to write a script for systematically managing scriptural debates!

Right now I’m looking for a copy of the Bible in a MySQL database file; I prefer the KJV but any is better than none! Once I have one to work from I can design the script and it shouldn’t be too hard to add other translations later!

My idea is to have a script where someone can make a doctrinal statement then enter their argument and the scripture verses which support or oppose it; I want it so they just enter the location instead of the verse text; that will prevent people from misquoting scripture! Then each side of the debate would be able to write their opinion(s) and interpretation(s) of the verse! From there I would just keep adding basic features from time to time!

I’d love a hand with this project, so if there are any other PHP coders out there who might be interested in helping out, just post here and let me know! Those who are good in HTML and/or Graphics could also help with the designing end! I'd like to make this script open-source as I think it will go a long way in turning apparent contradictions into non-contradictory paradoxes!

Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. I’m also trying to make or find something like a “code wiki”; it would be similar to wikipedia.org but instead of an encyclopedia it would be for managing scripts! It would allow many different coders to review, edit and contribute to a script easily!

JordanF

Jul 15, 2005
✟15,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just write a PHP script to convert from a text or html file to an SQL query. These data conversion scripts can be somewhat challenging to write, but I don't think you'll find an SQL db of the Bible anywhere.

I guess you could be the first one to do it. :)

If you need help with this you can contact me -- I'm a well-versed webapp and PHP developer and MySQL dbadmin.

Upvote 0

NarrowPathPilgrim

If God be for us, who can be against us
Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
JordanF said:
Just write a PHP script to convert from a text or html file to an SQL query. These data conversion scripts can be somewhat challenging to write, but I don't think you'll find an SQL db of the Bible anywhere.

I guess you could be the first one to do it. :)
Okay! I've been looking and I haven't been able to find it in a database, so I guess I'll do it that way; thanks for the idea!

JordanF said:
If you need help with this you can contact me -- I'm a well-versed webapp and PHP developer and MySQL dbadmin.
Thanks, I may take you up on that! I've only had a computer for a bit over a year and I just started php/database stuff a few months ago; but I've written a few scripts recently that have turned out great.

Sincerely, Zach Doty

Upvote 0

NarrowPathPilgrim

Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I actually kept a bunch of text files a while back with the Bible and I just looked through them, they couldn't be better!
Here is a sample so you can see the format they use:
01O 1 1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
01O 1 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
01O 1 3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
40N 1 1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
40N 1 2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;
40N 1 3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;
40N 1 4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;
40N 1 5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;
40N 1 6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her [that had been the wife] of
The nice thing is that they use tabs between the book number, the chapter, and the verse number, so it will be easy to separate with PHP's explode function! And I got several different translations, KJV, ASV, and a few others!

I'm going to start work on the conversion script right now; I'm a bit slow but I'll let you know how it’s coming when I get more done!

Once I get enough of the script done I'll install it on one of my sites so guys can post suggestions, make changes, and check up on my progress!

Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. I will be a bit busy over the next few days, I'm going out of town...but I will have some access to a PC while I'm gone, so I will continue to work on the script a bit during my absence!

Upvote 0
C

Caliban

Even though I disagree with more or less everything you have ever posted and you would be happy to see my brother executed in public to appease God?!?! I loathe to help you out with this, but as a christian I know I have to:

This site is something I used a while back and may have what you need

KJV in XML
KJV in MySQL dump
KJV in Plain text
KJV in Access MDB

http://www.assortedthoughts.com/downloads.php

:(

Upvote 0

NarrowPathPilgrim

Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Caliban said:
Even though I disagree with more or less everything you have ever posted and you would be happy to see my brother executed in public to appease God?!?! I loathe to help you out with this, but as a christian I know I have to:
It isn't that I would like to have anyone die; I just believe capital punishment is biblical and certain crimes which have been asigned that penalty by God deserve it.

Caliban said:
This site is something I used a while back and may have what you need

KJV in XML
KJV in MySQL dump
KJV in Plain text
KJV in Access MDB

http://www.assortedthoughts.com/downloads.php
Thank You So Much! I shall certainly use that!

I started working on the script today; it is still far from finished, but it is coming along very well! :clap:

I expected to be out of town by now but I'm still here and it looks like I'll be leaving in a few hours. You can download the script here! So check it out, install it on your server, and feel free to improve it!

If you decide to make any improvements just post here to let me (and anyone else who might be changing it) know; when I get back home I'll post and let you know so you can attach your modified version and I can continue working on it!

For minor improvements you could just post the code changes here!

Sincerely, Zach Doty

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.