Bible-Creation-Evolution (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Curious how literalists don't read the bible literally, isn't it?

Good though. I don't want to be killed because I decide to work on the sabbath.

Besides, I like my face shaven. And I like being able to sit on chairs my wife has used during 'that time' of the month. AND I don't think I'm actually physically part of a building...

The bible makes no sense when read literally.

No piece of literature makes sense when read 100% literally. Metaphors, idioms, analogies, parables, et cetera are all part of human communication. How anyone would claim that tales which do not match observed reality are anything but parables or theological ideas is beyond me.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks. I used to think of the US as a sort of Christian nation. I think that was a mistaken notion, despite the millions of Christians there.
We're in serious need of a revival, bro; and covet your prayers for us.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Erm. Well in a sense... The deed on 9-11 didn't happen in a vacuum. But death, destruction, war and nation-scale theft was more to blame than Internet discussions. And - I should add - those American presidents who have meddled in the middle east with death war and more as consequence have all been Christian. In word if not in deed. So.. Don't blame atheist chatter for that when others oppress, kill, maim and steal
I understand; and for the record, I'm not blaming atheists directly for these atrocities -- just like I wouldn't blame atheists if some nutcake went out and hanged what he thought was a witch.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The USA was never a Christian nation, it had lots of Christians living there which is a big difference.
Then please tell me what nation was/is a Christian nation -- and why -- or I'll just go ahead and take this with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Then please tell me what nation was/is a Christian nation -- and why -- or I'll just go ahead and take this with a grain of salt.

How are you defining Christian Nation;

The majority religion is Christian therefore by my understanding is Christian.
The Nation defines itself in law as a Christian Nation.

One is subjective, one is objective.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Christian nation would be a nation where the state religion is Christianity.
Again, I'm asking for a specific nation -- can you answer with the name of a country, please?

And I have to disagree.

A state religion is run by the government; meaning it is the job of the state to assess and collect the tithe, set the holidays, and determine what days one should worship. Each church would have to register with the federal government and be liable to it for its conduct. Baptisms would have to have government clearance first, and pastors, teachers, missionaries and evangelists would have to graduate from federally-accredited colleges.

By contrast, we believe in freedom of religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How are you defining Christian Nation;
Psalm 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Upvote 0
N

Nabobalis

Again, I'm asking for a specific nation -- can you answer with the name of a country, please?

And I have to disagree.

A state religion is run by the government; meaning it is the job of the state to assess and collect the tithe, set the holidays, and determine what days one should worship. Each church would have to register with the federal government and be liable to it for its conduct. Baptisms would have to have government clearance first, and pastors, teachers, missionaries and evangelists would have to graduate from federally-accredited colleges.

The UK for example due to the almost inseparable ties between state and church which in this case is Christian. Regardless how the population see themselves.

A Christian nation implies that the nation itself is Christian, in law, in how it defines itself with the Christian church. While on the other hand a nation full of Christians is just that, no ties/weak ties between the state and the church and the government is mostly secular.

What you described is a theocracy.

Reactions: Mr Dave
Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dispensation Theology is a major key in understanding the Scriptures -- so is Covenant Theology -- :thumbsup:

And no theology which goes directly against observable facts has any value on the points where this conflict is real.

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

And I have to disagree.

A state religion is run by the government

Not true. The Church of England is not run by the government, but advises the government. All authority ecclesiastical and spiritual resides with the crown, so this mantle is passed to whoever wears the crown - currently HM Queen Elizabeth II who is not part of government.

; meaning it is the job of the state to assess and collect the tithe,

Not true. What tithe are you talking about?
We used to have a harvest tithe (or something like that) but that was centuries ago and for collecting supplies for the winter, wasn't to do with religion.
We pay taxes, but these are separate from the church.

set the holidays

You're gonna have to explain yourself? The state sets national hoildays anyway in both of our countries. Is it not the job of your President each year to proclaim Thanksgiving.

, and determine what days one should worship.

People are free to worship as they desire.

Each church would have to register with the federal government and be liable to it for its conduct. Baptisms would have to have government clearance first,

Not true. Who told you this? I've been to several baptisms, at none did the govt. have to approve it before it could take place.

and pastors, teachers, missionaries and evangelists would have to graduate from federally-accredited colleges.

It's a bad thing that all Anglican clergy have officially recognised training before being sent out to be there for their parishioners? No different to getting any qualification, it has to be recognised as coming from approved source.

FYI, I, as a member of the Methodist Church, have complete freedom to worship as I see fit, despite there being a state religion. For the matter, so do all Roman Catholics, Baptists, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists etc...

We have freedom of religion too.

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

You implied, although never explicitly said, that you felt that the USA is/was a Christian Nation. Do you believe the USA to have been chosen by God then for his inheritance?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to wash my hands of this thread, since we're all over the spectrum here and every point is diluted by side issues; but for the record, a true theocracy can only occur when God rules on the earth physically.

Israel rejected God ruling from the Tabernacle/Temple, so He left and allowed Israel to have kings.

He will be back in the next dispensation to set up another theocracy for a period of 1000 years.

Upvote 0
The Philippines is 95 % Christian (Catholic) nation. The other 5% is mostly Muslim (Mohamed) with a few Communists (Marx) thrown in for good measure. It means to follow the teaching of Jesus. China's tradition is more Confucius and Buddha. Muslim's are 85% Sunnis with 10 to 15% Shiites. They do fight with each other.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.