Winnipeg
✟8,884.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
i was healed from ME/CFS that crippled me for 8 years since my teens and am disabled still in other ways but i agree that healing is not any qaulification to knowing Jesus. i always say that i am only qualified for heaven on basis that Jesus died for me.... i dont believe i have any other qualifications.

Ya, I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and then again as an adult and I have a learning Disability and I was told I could never go to University, I also have hearing loss. So yes I am a little bitter about that. Other people went to university and have good careers and make a good living, I on the other hand am left to struggle, but at least I have Jesus and the hope of eternal life, that one day I will be set free from this fallen wicked unfair world and go to heaven to be with Jesus. I have the Holy Spirit because I was regenerated by the Holy Spirit and He indwells me and lives in me, I don't need to speak in tongues to know that because I know it in my heart.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ya, I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and then again as an adult and I have a learning Disability and I was told I could never go to University, I also have hearing loss. So yes I am a little bitter about that. Other people went to university and have good careers and make a good living, I on the other hand am left to struggle, but at least I have Jesus and the hope of eternal life, that one day I will be set free from this fallen wicked unfair world and go to heaven to be with Jesus. I have the Holy Spirit because I was regenerated by the Holy Spirit and He indwells me and lives in me, I don't need to speak in tongues to know that because I know it in my heart.

AMEN, brother,. bless you.

tongues is only one of the gifts, it is not neccessary. there are other gifts.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to read NIV when first got born again but discoverd later it was not a n accurate translation and now I go between the KJV and NLT. i also love THe Amplified and the Passion but those are not real translations, they are paraphrases, so best to be used alongside an actual translation.

i think people have over the centuries debated over Bible translations and will always do, most likely, until the end of time. i much prefer NLT and KJV over NIV though now, because I know nothing left out

The NIV is a very accurate translation IMHO. There is a spectrum of translation philosophy form word-for-word to idea-for idea. Of course, a literal (word-for-word) translation is impossible since the Bible languages -- ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek -- have no direct correspondence to English. The words often don't have exact parallels in English. The sentence structure is very different and the idioms are very difficult to translate.

The King James is not a literal, word-for-word translation, as that is impossible. There is no one-to-one correspondence between the ancient texts and English.

The other end of the translation spectrum is the idea-for-idea philosophy. Instead of trying to translate the actual words and sentences, an effort is made to create in the modern reader the same idea in their mind as was in the minds of the ancient people. What it meant to them is what it should mean to us. The Living Bible is an excellent example of this translation philosophy.

The middle ground is to balance both of these factors: what the words originally meant and what ideas they created in the ancient people's minds. The NIV, the NET, and others are examples of this. IMHO they are an excellent balance between the two translation approaches.

Finally, there is nothing "missing" in the NIV. There are quite a few sections of the source documents that were added later as they are not present in the earliest texts. Two outstanding examples are the story about the woman caught in adultery and the "long ending" of Mark's gospel. It is up to the individual groups of translators to balance all these factors to give us a Bible they feel is the best. Almost always, the accompanying translators' notes explain this.

My favorite translation that balances these two translation approaches extremely well is the NET (New English Translation). It has roughly 60,000(!) translators notes that explain everything you want to know and more. The current edition is 2.1; it's available on Amazon and other places.

If you're really interested in this I recommend the very readable "How to Choose a Translation for All Its Worth" by Gordon D Fee and Mark L Strauss. It's available on Amazon for a very reasonable price and thoroughly explains the above.

One final word of caution: don't put much stock in what people have to say about translations they don't like. They are invariably biased and their opinions are not based on any serious study and/or interpretation. There is no such thing as "an actual translation" for the reasons I discussed above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
i was healed from ME/CFS that crippled me for 8 years since my teens and am disabled still in other ways but i agree that healing is not any qaulification to knowing Jesus. i always say that i am only qualified for heaven on basis that Jesus died for me.... i dont believe i have any other qualifications.

I was an atheist and was in the hospital with severe asthma. The doctors' attempts to break the asthma spasm were not working. A pastor with whom I had been arguing about Christian beliefs and the Bible came into the room and prayed (simply) "Jesus, heal this man". Immediately the spasm broke and I knew that Jesus was real. I went in a instant from being an atheist to being a Spirit-filled Christian. I felt His divine love throughout my entire body!

I totally agree with you when you say, "I am only qualified for heaven on the basis that Jesus died for me.... I don't believe I have any other qualifications." I would add that you must have believed that Jesus was (and is) your Savior.

God bless you always!

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,460.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is foolish to say that, concerning robycop3's post, "the Spirit would confirm it, bear witness to it and convict us that you are right." He is a sincere Christian who disagrees with you. I doubt you will respect him, since you claim to "hear" the Holy Spirit, who supposedly will convince you that you are right and he is wrong.

May God have mercy on you!

???

I wrote those words, in response to Love of the Truth's post.
He asked, if we have the Holy Spirit, why do we not recognise the truth (i.e that the KJV is perfect) when it's presented.
I replied by saying "because that's not the truth".
I agree with robycop3's posts.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,460.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i was healed from ME/CFS that crippled me for 8 years since my teens and am disabled still in other ways

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I was healed from ME too - after 18 years. :)

Upvote 0