Bible Characters Who Felt Abandoned by God: What Did They Do?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Your friends have a way of not sticking around after you betray them.
Enemies also. If someone is betrayed, they won't likely stick around to help in any way, will they ? . This is the way of men/ humans/ mankind.

Only by God's Grace do we find ourselves and other Ekklesia who are faithful and true to remain and to forgiven betrayal, etc .....

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What I don't understand is the point. Okay, Israel sinned. That's why God abandoned them for a time. Jesus took on sin; that's why for Him. But--why Job? Why David? Jesse called him in from the pasture, which David complied. Goliath dared the Israelites; David complied. David did nothing wrong. Why is he being left in some cave to hide from Saul? If God promised NEVER to leave us, then patiently waiting on God's promises sure would be a lot better from...you know...back on the pasture.
God did not abandon Job or David. Whether or not they had FEELINGS like they wre abandoned, is that stated somewhere , and does it matter except as a lesson to us of God's Faithfulness in spite of our weaknesses ?

• Agree
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟836,248.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He was. Why do you think he was sweating, as it were, "great drops of blood" and He asked the Father to take the cup from Him (if possible)?
Would God out of empathy for Christ not personally also want his blood to remain flowing through his veins?
This is the only part of Christ's most heart wrenching pray we have, so would it not have a message for us? (Christ did not want to go, but there was no other way.)
If we did not have this part of the pray, we might assume Christ was happily heading home and the suffering He went through did not really hurt deity.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:
He was. Why do you think he was sweating, as it were, "great drops of blood" and He asked the Father to take the cup from Him (if possible)?
Would God out of empathy for Christ not personally also want his blood to remain flowing through his veins?
This is the only part of Christ's most heart wrenching pray we have, so would it not have a message for us? (Christ did not want to go, but there was no other way.)
If we did not have this part of the pray, we might assume Christ was happily heading home and the suffering He went through did not really hurt deity.
My dear brother, where is this written in God's Word?

What did Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of the living God, the God of the living, DREAD?

It was "separation" from the Father. NOTHING else would've prompted those drops of sweat that were likened to "great drops of blood".

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟836,248.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What did Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of the living God, the God of the living, DREAD?

It was "separation" from the Father. NOTHING else would've prompted those drops of sweat that were likened to "great drops of blood".
Did you read my post 10?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:

Did you read my post 10?
Yes.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For a lesson, I thought I would try and get the board's help compiling a list of Bible characters who felt abandoned by God at some point. It's sort of for myself, too (I'm feeling a bit abandoned at the moment). Here's what I've got. Please add to this list:

- Jesus. "Eloi, Eloi. Lama Sabachthani?" Jesus himself straight up says: "My God, why did You abandon me?"...

Sorry, this is not exactly on topic, but I think that is interesting translation. Maybe the "Eloi, Eloi. Lama Sabachthani?" is wrongly translated, because the Bible says:

Some of them who stood there, when they heard it, said, "This man is calling Elijah."
Matt. 27:47

Those who listened thought that it meant Elijah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For a lesson, I thought I would try and get the board's help compiling a list of Bible characters who felt abandoned by God at some point. It's sort of for myself, too (I'm feeling a bit abandoned at the moment). Here's what I've got. Please add to this list:

- Jesus. "Eloi, Eloi. Lama Sabachthani?" Jesus himself straight up says: "My God, why did You abandon me?"

- Gideon. He felt God had abandoned Israel. (Judges 6). An angel said God had not abandoned them. However, this was of Israel's own doing.

- David. Who--like Gideon--this was of David's own doing--PART of the time. Part of the time, we was off hiding in a cave, away from Saul--solely because Samuel had anointed him and he slew a giant. David did nothing wrong that time.

- Job. Although I cannot pinpoint an exact verse where Job thinks he has been abandoned by God.

- (Elijah). Elijah feels abandoned by Israel--not by God. (I Kings 19:4)

- The islanders in Acts who saw Paul get bit by a poisonous snake. (Acts 28:4)

- The disciples, speaking of the man born blind. (John 9)

- Joseph and Daniel, who must have felt abandoned, but--again--I cannot find a specific verse which says they did.

- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego said that even if God abandons them, they still will not bow down to the idol the king created.

Anyway--you will not lose your faith and go to Hell if you feel abandoned by God. Even Jesus himself felt that.
Just because one feels abandoned doesn't mean they are. God works in His timing, not ours. Isaac was promised a son (or seed) and that didn't happen for 20 more years. Imagine us having to wait 20 years? We are taking more Motrin if we still have a headache 20 minutes after we took the first two! These people you mention, and you, were not abandoned. Just stand on the promises that once gave you great strength, because they still apply... God never goes back on His word.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

- Jesus. "Eloi, Eloi. Lama Sabachthani?" Jesus himself straight up says: "My God, why did You abandon me?"

- Gideon. He felt God had abandoned Israel. (Judges 6). An angel said God had not abandoned them. However, this was of Israel's own doing.

- David. Who--like Gideon--this was of David's own doing--PART of the time. Part of the time, we was off hiding in a cave, away from Saul--solely because Samuel had anointed him and he slew a giant. David did nothing wrong that time.

- Job. Although I cannot pinpoint an exact verse where Job thinks he has been abandoned by God.

- Joseph and Daniel, who must have felt abandoned, but--again--I cannot find a specific verse which says they did.

- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego said that even if God abandons them, they still will not bow down to the idol the king created.

Anyway--you will not lose your faith and go to Hell if you feel abandoned by God. Even Jesus himself felt that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I can identify with your feelings because at the depth of my seven-year major depression, I felt that my prayers were bouncing off the ceiling. I learned our feelings often deceive us.

David felt abandoned by God and expressed it in Psalm 22:1, which Jesus quoted on the cross. However, Jesus also said on the cross, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." My conclusion was in studying those two words from the cross, that Jesus expressed his temptation in "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" He later expressed his conquering that temptation.

God taught me to deal with my feelings of abandonment by expressing those deceptive emotions in laments. Note Job's laments in chapters 3, 7, and 10. God later commended him for those prayers even though they were his questioning of God's ways, expressing his anger and grief.

David's laments are especially in Psalms 6, 22, 39, and 88. The only redeeming part of the last dark psalm is his focus on God. Complaining to God in prayers with our focus on him is acceptable. It took me 7 1/2 months of that kind of complaining for God to get rid of my major depression, and in another month, the peace of God (Philippians 4:6,7) arrived and has stayed for 32 years.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, this is not exactly on topic, but I think that is interesting translation. Maybe the "Eloi, Eloi. Lama Sabachthani?" is wrongly translated, because the Bible says:

Some of them who stood there, when they heard it, said, "This man is calling Elijah."
Matt. 27:47

Those who listened thought that it meant Elijah.

That could go either way, but I think "My God" is more accurate. "El"="God". "oi"="mine".

One could argue that "El" is Elijah, familiar. Or "My Ellie". Thus it is reasonable that some standing there would think that. The name "Elijah" comes from "Eliyahu", or "there is one true God, and that is Yahweh".

A close parallel would be, what if I named my dog Diablo (which is a fitting name, by the way...): am I calling out to Satan, or am I simply calling out to my dog? Except that, in my example, my dog is right there, so we know it's him. With Jesus, we know He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane to take His cup away from Him, which God did not. Why would Jesus not reasonably feel abandoned by that?

Which leads to another interesting tidbit: JESUS had a prayer go unanswered.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
…With Jesus, we know He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane to take His cup away from Him, which God did not. Why would Jesus not reasonably feel abandoned by that?

I don’t think that things don’t always go as we want means God has abandoned us. It can man there is better way and God doesn’t want that things to go as badly as we want.

Which leads to another interesting tidbit: JESUS had a prayer go unanswered.

Not getting the answer one wants is not same as not getting an answer at all.

Upvote 0