Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know, I've heard these terms before and have always wondered what it meant to go to a "Bible believing or a "Bible teaching" church.
I thought all denominations, including Catholic and Orthodox taught the Bible? :scratch:

All denominations teach from the Bible.

Some people within some denominations worship the Bible.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Frequently those are code words for "conservative evangelical sola scriptura Protestant church."

By the way, the phrase is "Bible believing, Bible teaching, Bible preaching" -- as in "You need to find a good Bible believing, Bible teaching, Bible preaching church." And boy can you rattle that off fast with some practice!

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Is the issue not how literally different churches believe the Bible to be true? :scratch:

glo
Well that and for some also the idea that Scripture is primarily authoritative for the formation of doctrine. But indeed how literally the Bible in interpreted does seem to be the main issue.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know, I've heard these terms before and have always wondered what it meant to go to a "Bible believing or a "Bible teaching" church.
I thought all denominations, including Catholic and Orthodox taught the Bible? :scratch:
These are great words of advice until you realize, "Hey, doesn't every church claim to be a 'Bible-based church'?"
When someone says, "Find yourself a Bible-based church" they really mean a (like Lel said) "conservative evangelical sola scriptura Protestant church".

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I remember reading a couple of recent polls in USA today where they ask people typically portrayed by the media as "Evangelicals" or "Fundamentalist" what they would prefer to be called and the majority said "Bible Believing". That right there should say quite a bit about the meaning.

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
with respect, it seems as though a no. of the threads over here are becoming more intolerant towards those who are more conservative and "fundamental" in their faith. I have read so many posters threads becrying the way they have been treated by conservative Christians, yet it's becoming a common thing to bash others who don't subscribe to your theology.

I don't get it. So someone loves God with a passion, but they shun sin, they try to live according to the word of God and they are being accused of being hatefilled, homophobic, patronised, made fun of and labelled "Bible Believing and intolerant. Wow, I guess the words kettle, pot and black spring to mind here :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
with respect, it seems as though a no. of the threads over here are becoming more intolerant towards those who are more conservative and "fundamental" in their faith. I have read so many posters threads becrying the way they have been treated by conservative Christians, yet it's becoming a common thing to bash others who don't subscribe to your theology.

I don't get it. So someone loves God with a passion, but they shun sin, they try to live according to the word of God and they are being accused of being hatefilled, homophobic, patronised, made fun of and labelled "Bible Believing and intolerant. Wow, I guess the words kettle, pot and black spring to mind here :sigh:
You make some good points, non-religious.

We had a thread on this not so long ago, and Flanders made a comment about the importance of being tolerant and loving towards others - even those we may disagree with, for example those who are fundamentalist or conservative Christians ...
Question is, do we just preach love and tolerance, or are we able to practice what we preach??? :confused:

I live in the UK and dont know too much about Christianity in the US, but I get the impression that in the US there is a strong backlash against evangelicals and fundamentalists.
Understandable, perhaps, if liberal Christians have suffered abuse, criticism and ridicule from their conservative counterparts ... but - tough as it may seem - Jesus instructs us to turn the other cheek and to respond with love and grace.
It's unfair, it doesn't feel 'nice' ... well, tough! It's what the man instructs us to do - if we claim to be his followers we better do it!

glo

Upvote 0

Kaonashi

If God is thy father, man is thy brother.
Jun 8, 2004
Denver
✟13,333.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
All denominations teach from the Bible.

Some people within some denominations worship the Bible.
Yeah, I've noticed that quite a few people especially here on CF tend to really get Jesus and the Bible confused. They tend to commit
bibliolatry quite easily and turn Christianity in to a strict legal code that leaves all the non-elect and sinners outside of grace where the only way to get saved is to become a strict Pharisee.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I live in the UK and dont know too much about Christianity in the US, but I get the impression that in the US there is a strong backlash against evangelicals and fundamentalists.
Understandable, perhaps, if liberal Christians have suffered abuse, criticism and ridicule from their conservative counterparts ... but - tough as it may seem - Jesus instructs us to turn the other cheek and to respond with love and grace.
It's unfair, it doesn't feel 'nice' ... well, tough! It's what the man instructs us to do - if we claim to be his followers we better do it!

glo

It's not so much a backlash as that the liberals are in most places outnumbered. :help: Given that, many liberal Christians are in fact formerly more conservative or fundamentalist Christians who have been rejected by their congregations.

Over here I'm almost tempted to say that as soon as the other side, with its vast majority and its president in office, quits bashing us maybe things will improve -- but, alas, that's not so Christ-like is it? :sigh:

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You make some good points, non-religious.

We had a thread on this not so long ago, and Flanders made a comment about the importance of being tolerant and loving towards others - even those we may disagree with, for example those who are fundamentalist or conservative Christians ...
Question is, do we just preach love and tolerance, or are we able to practice what we preach??? :confused:

glo

I would say that there is certainly a time and place in which defending one's beliefs against said abuse, criticism, and/or ridicule is appropriate. On the whole, though, I agree, getting angry only worsens matters.

As for "Bible-believing" churches, my family's church (I've elected to cease attending except for on certain occasions) claims to be such, and they are indeed a rather conservative, Protestant church. They're not by any means aggressive in their relations with other groups, and they're actually fairly moderate in their professed doctrine, all things considered, but I'd still say it supports this thread's working theory regarding the true meaning of the phrase.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums