God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have heard people argue that the Bible and science contradicts, e.g. along the lines of claiming that there are many species of a certain type of animal (I am not saying I believe the Bible and science contradicts, I am just saying this is what some people claim) "contrary" to Noah's ark?

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
I have heard people argue that the Bible and science contradicts, e.g. along the lines of claiming that in Noah's ark Noah took 2 of each animal but there are many species of a certain type of animal (I am not saying I believe the Bible and science contradicts, I am just saying this is what some people claim)?

The clean beasts were taken by sevens both male and female. The unclean by twos.
Genesis 7
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have heard people argue that the Bible and science contradicts, e.g. along the lines of claiming that in Noah's ark Noah took 2 of each animal but there are many species of a certain type of animal (I am not saying I believe the Bible and science contradicts, I am just saying this is what some people claim)?

The only thing that contradicts science is the old testament and particularly Moses' revelations. All of those things happened well before Moses was born apparently. Perhaps Moses' revelations are parable and science should just ignore that aspect. Which means Christians should probably not take them as literal.

Taking them literally makes Christians look silly to scientists probably.

• Friendly
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The clean beasts were taken by sevens both male and female. The unclean by twos.
Genesis 7
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Thanks, I knew that not every animal was taken by twos.

I don't know why the Noah's ark account seems to some people to "contradict" science?

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have heard people argue that the Bible and science contradicts, e.g. along the lines of claiming that there are many species of a certain type of animal (I am not saying I believe the Bible and science contradicts, I am just saying this is what some people claim) "contrary" to Noah's ark?

The Bible is the Truth of God. So, in any place where the Bible and science seem to conflict, the Bible must win out.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,002.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Bible and science do not contradict each other, because Bible is not a scientific book. Only people who read Bible as science are getting contradiction with science.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bible and science do not contradict each other, because Bible is not a scientific book. Only people who read Bible as science are getting contradiction with science.
Well, the person I have heard claiming the Noah's Ark account contradicts with science is not a Christian.

They argue that there are "too many questions" that the Bible raises for it to be likely to be true (I believe the Bible is God's Word).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, the person I have heard claiming the Noah's Ark account contradicts with science (within my family) is not a Christian.

They argue that there are "too many questions" that the Bible raises for it to be likely to be true (I believe the Bible is God's Word).
Questions such as...?

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, the person I have heard claiming the Noah's Ark account contradicts with science (within my family) is not a Christian.

The flood was a real account. They've found whale bones on mountain tops. But it still doesn't prove that the account is properly understood or interpreted properly by Christians in general. And in this news article, they seem to think that the mountains rose out of the sea, instead of a flood.

WHALE FOSSILS HIGH IN ANDES SHOW HOW MOUNTAINS ROSE FROM SEA

Also see: Whale Fossils in Mountains: How Did Million-Year-Old Bones End Up There?

You could present those findings to your non-Christian relative?

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Questions such as...?

Things I have have heard are why there are so many species of a certain type of animal, they claim darwinism is likely to be true and they claim that means the Bible is unlikely to be true, why science seems to show the earth is older than the Bible seems to show it to be (I didn't know the Bible claimed how old the earth was?), why humans and apes seem to share some genes et cetera

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The flood was a real account. They've found whale bones on mountain tops. But it still doesn't prove that the account is properly understood or interpreted properly by Christians in general. And in this news article, they seem to think that the mountains rose out of the sea, instead of a flood.

Also see: Whale Fossils in Mountains: How Did Million-Year-Old Bones End Up There?

Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Things I have have heard are why there are so many species of a certain type of animal, they claim darwinism is likely to be true and they claim that means the Bible is unlikely to be true, why science seems to show the earth is older than the Bible shows it to be, why humans and apes seem to share some genes, why some babies are born with serious deformities if they haven't done anything wrong et cetera

A whole lot of these kinds of questions are answered by the folks at Answers in Genesis.

• Agree
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,002.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The YEC view of Noah ark contradicts science, yes. The YEC view is wrong.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, the mountains contain many 100's of feet of sedimentary rock showing it's endless layers tilted as the continental shelves impacted each other. Sedimentary rock is formed from material deposited under water.

Layers_of_sedimentary_rock_in_Makhtesh_Ramon_%2850750%29.jpg

Most mountains are composed of tilted sedimentary bedrock layers with the expected marine fossils in them.

346f1aa9-d448-4cc3-b19c-2d5cfc1305a6.jpg

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, the mountains contain many 100's of feet of sedimentary rock showing it's endless layers tilted as the continental shelves impacted each other. Sedimentary rock is formed from material deposited under water.

Layers_of_sedimentary_rock_in_Makhtesh_Ramon_%2850750%29.jpg

Most mountains are composed of tilted sedimentary bedrock layers with the expected marine fossils in them.

346f1aa9-d448-4cc3-b19c-2d5cfc1305a6.jpg

Yes but in order for the whales to have been lifted up into the mountains instead of being beached during the evaporation of a flood, one must also believe that the mountains were created much less than 1-15 million years ago, since that's how old they say the fossils are in some places.

That puts it in the human species timeline: Human - Wikipedia

Which is relatively a short time ago compared to the age of the dinosaur. 245-66 million years ago.

And the current species started about 10-14 million years ago. Which is about the timing of those whale fossils (1-15 millions years old), suggesting a bible correlation to an Ark of Noah if you ignore the timeline of the bible and say it is in different units.

And the point I'm also trying to get at is this: How is it that the earth formed over the billions of years, cooled and then after such a long time, only a few million years ago, had massive upheavals that formed mountains? Where did the energy of such formations come from? I'm truly puzzled at that idea and find it interesting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you take Noah's story with some parable, you will draw the conclusion that it was God talking to Moses and telling him the history of the earth (be it slightly different somehow?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes but in order for the whales to have been lifted up into the mountains instead of being beached during the evaporation of a flood, one must also believe that the mountains were created much less than 1-15 million years ago, since that's how old they say the fossils are in some places.

That puts it in the human species timeline: Human - Wikipedia

Which is relatively a short time ago compared to the age of the dinosaur. 245-66 million years ago.

And the current species started about 10-14 million years ago. Which is about the timing of those whale fossils (1-15 millions years old), suggesting a bible correlation to an Ark of Noah if you ignore the timeline of the bible and say it is in different units.

And the point I'm also trying to get at is this: How is it that the earth formed over the billions of years, cooled and then after such a long time, only a few million years ago, had massive upheavals that formed mountains? Where did the energy of such formations come from? I'm truly puzzled at that idea and find it interesting.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you take Noah's story with some parable, you will draw the conclusion that it was God talking to Moses and telling him the history of the earth (be it slightly different somehow?)

You alter the scriptures and the plain language to get a young earth?

Deuteronomy 33:15
With the finest produce of the ancient mountains and the abundance of the everlasting hills,

Genesis 49:26
The blessings of your father have surpassed the blessings of the ancient mountains and the bounty of the everlasting hills. May they rest on the head of Joseph, on the brow of the prince of his brothers.

Habakkuk 3:6
He stood and measured the earth; He looked and startled the nations; the ancient mountains were scattered; the perpetual hills bowed. His ways are everlasting.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You alter the scriptures and the plain language to get a young earth?

Deuteronomy 33:15
With the finest produce of the ancient mountains and the abundance of the everlasting hills,

Genesis 49:26
The blessings of your father have surpassed the blessings of the ancient mountains and the bounty of the everlasting hills. May they rest on the head of Joseph, on the brow of the prince of his brothers.

Habakkuk 3:6
He stood and measured the earth; He looked and startled the nations; the ancient mountains were scattered; the perpetual hills bowed. His ways are everlasting.

So are you saying the whales in the hills are not from the flood of Noah? Ancient is a relative term perhaps. And I've heard that carbon dating is subjective to interpretation. So I guess I'm not really sure. What do you think?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So are you saying the whales in the hills are not from the flood of Noah? Ancient is a relative term perhaps. And I've heard that carbon dating is subjective to interpretation. So I guess I'm not really sure. What do you think?

It's possible that Noahs flood was not even normal water.
Call me a softie, but wouldn't it be kind to use a special water from the fountains of the deep so everyone didn't drown painfully? God has talents.

4So Moses said, “This is what •Yahweh says: ‘About midnight I will go throughout Egypt, 5 and every firstborn male in the land of Egypt will die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne to the firstborn of the servant girl who is behind the millstones, as well as every firstborn of the livestock. 6 Then there will be a great cry of anguish through all the land of Egypt such as never was before, or ever will be again. 7 But against all the Israelites, whether man or beast, not even a dog will snarl,g so that you may know that Yahweh makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel.

It's pretty clear that the earth is ancient and even written as everlasting.
How did we get sidetracked with this "young earth" stuff?

Psalms 76:4 You are radiant with light, more majestic than the ancient mountains

Micah 6:2 "Hear, you mountains, the LORD's accusation; listen, you everlasting
foundations of the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Relatively clear that the earth is ancient and even written as everlasting.
How did we get sidetracked with this "young earth" stuff?

Psalms 76:4 You are radiant with light, more majestic than the ancient mountains
Micah 6:2 "Hear, you mountains, the LORD's accusation; listen, you everlasting
foundations of the earth.

Yeah people do believe in young earth. I don't think I do though. Thanks for finding those scriptures. Something I'm a little confused about. They did in fact find whale bones, so they must be protruding out of the ground and fairly shallow. And whether there were upheavals of earth into mountains or not, they are found on dry land, indicating that once there was water over the area of where the mountains are. So what does that mean?

Upvote 0