Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for the OP, if someone wants to claim that God has a purpose for every pregnancy, he would probably need to address why about one fifth or more of pregnancies end in miscarriage. What was God's purpose for those?
Perhaps 50% or more of fertilized eggs fail to reach birth.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was addressed to Jeremiah and not just to every person born, unless every person born, is ordained as a prophet to the nations.
There are other passages that support a universal truth when considered together.

Psalms 22
10: “Upon thee was I cast from my birth, and since my mother bore me thou hast been my God. Be not far from me, trouble is near and there is none to help.”

Psalm 139:13,15: For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother’s womb. . . . [M]y frame was not hidden from thee, when I was being made in secret, intricately wrought in the depths of the earth.

Galatians 1
15: “But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and had called me through his grace.”

Jeremiah 1
5: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hhmm. By that logic, do you think IVF babies have souls?
yes they do. They are individuals with a soul, not at all like a clone. Please understand I am speaking for myself here, I have not researched this from a Theological perspective yet.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But God already knows those choices you will make before you are born.
I am not going to say that you are wrong but there are other Theological views that exist and I would agree with one of those that is not what you have indicated.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Clones would also accumulate mutations over their lifetime, though.

I just really don't understand; if two humans have (or start with) the same DNA, why would we conclude thereby that they have no soul? It's a very strange position.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Clones would also accumulate mutations over their lifetime, though.

I just really don't understand; if two humans have (or start with) the same DNA, why would we conclude thereby that they have no soul? It's a very strange position.
my thought would be that the soul is not part of DNA. it is spiritual it is given to each person by God not by science. Man cannot create a soul. The soul is transcendent.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
my thought would be that the soul is not part of DNA. it is spiritual it is given to each person by God not by science. Man cannot create a soul. The soul is transcendent.

Yes, but... okay. Imagine that an embryo is created in a Petri dish (as happens for IVF). Imagine that before that embryo is implanted, it is deliberately split into two, to create twins (clones). If both of those two embryos are implanted and grow to maturity... you think neither will have a soul?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yes they do. They are individuals with a soul, not at all like a clone. Please understand I am speaking for myself here, I have not researched this from a Theological perspective yet.
Clones are never identical. But they are pretty similar.
Every cell division has some changes due to chemistry
and external conditions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but... okay. Imagine that an embryo is created in a Petri dish (as happens for IVF). Imagine that before that embryo is implanted, it is deliberately split into two, to create twins (clones). If both of those two embryos are implanted and grow to maturity... you think neither will have a soul?

So science can create an infinite amount of souls

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You think God could create an infinite amount of people?

I am not aware of any fundamental constraint on the number of people God could create.

As to the discussions of souls, I probably can't debate that fully here.

Upvote 0