• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bias roadblock.

Tarvorok

Custos Dei
Jan 14, 2019
Kansas
✟14,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was diagnosed with autism at the age of 11 and since that age I have grown to form biases (some that people would even claim to be extreme) and I honestly think that they have hindered me in some way in life, especially when it comes to making friends or being someone of even slight importance.

I'm biased when it comes to what music I listen to (which is one band only and has been for over 10 years now) and what video games I play so much so that I mentally compare my level of interest in a certain hobby to another persons when they claim to be interested in the same thing I am.

I'm extremely narrow minded in my interests and I do everything in my power not to stray from them, I consider them to be a part of who I am and I couldn't imagine how I'd have made it this far without them.

I've had friends leave in the past because of my biases and how strongly I feel towards them. So now as kind of a preventative, when I explain to people what my interests are I give them a very brief description and then move the conversation on to something else as quickly as possible, although I do worry that they might think I'm hiding something.

I don't know. I tried to word this as best as possible with what was swarming around in my head. I'm sure I'm not the only person that thinks like this, but my mind always seems to think what I go through no one else does.

kufe

Sep 16, 2018
Mississauga
✟12,337.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my personal opinion, it not bad to have certain biases but I think it becomes toxic for the individual when they are not open to different possibilities which can lead to ignorance and the best way to learn and to understand the world better is to have an open mind and I also feel it even helps with our faith whether it would be to solidify it or build on it, but I can understand why it would be so hard for you; I feel you treat your biases like a safety net for your life, but I think its always good to start being a little more open as well, maybe it will help to bring you out of your shell :), and to add on if your friends really were your friends they would not ditch you for having your biases because its a part of who you are and if your friends are ready to leave you for that or you feel the need to hide that part of yourself from them then I think its also a good thing to re-evaluate who you have in your life (I hope im not offending). To me a friend is someone who is accepting of who you are but also helps to improve you as well; growing together as people.

Reactions: Tarvorok
Upvote 0