Best Star Trek captain

Who is the best Star Trek captain ?

• Archer

• Kirk

• Picard

• Sisko

• Janeway

• Other ( one-offs, mirror universes etc )

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TNG had a great finale. Captain Picard went out in style. However, VOG's final episode was unfullfilling and left the audience wanting more of a closure. I wonder how many great scripts were dumped and incredible last scenes cut. Who decided on this ending anyway? The whole series was based on this event in getting home. It was good but could have been great.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Pointman7 said:
TNG had a great finale. Captain Picard went out in style. However, VOG's final episode was unfullfilling and left the audience wanting more of a closure. I wonder how many great scripts were dumped and incredible last scenes cut. Who decided on this ending anyway? The whole series was based on this event in getting home. It was good but could have been great.

On the basis of its popularity, Voyager had been alloted another two seasons to run, so no one was more surprized than the cast to find that they were about to wrap up the series in a very few episodes. Seven of Nine and Lt. Commander Chakotay where thrown into each others arms, we found out for the first time that Seven is unable to feel any deep pleasurable emotion, except that she does very much enjoy the taste of food. How this could happen when we've had pounded into our brains for seven seasons just how bad a cook Mr. Neelix is, is a mystery.
This mystery is soon overshadowed by the mystery of why Seven's I.Q. would then drop so sharply as to lead her to believe that the Doctor could remove primary cortical node without killing her. How could she inexplicbly forget the recent failure of her last primary cortical node, which Icheb, one of the Borg children for whom she was serving as foster mother (why we now don't know because she couldn't love them) replaced with his own by removing his on his own and then staggering into sickbay and handing it to the Doctor (why? we now don't know, because we've confidently told that he was unable to love her), then the pair of them bikered over just who was going to die for whom (why? we now no longer know) until the Doctor snarls,
"Well, someone use the damn thing!"
Was Seven of Nine truly incapable of feeling love for others? What's this all about, then?

Seven_cradles_the_ailing_Borg_baby.jpg

I guess what Seven really has in mind here is to take this tiny baby back to Voyager's mess hall and and ask Mr. Neelix to cook it for her, and that was the episode which was seriously flawed, not Endgame.

Pointman, Rick Berman was the culprit How many great scripts were dumped? At least one season's worth...if not more.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
On the basis of its popularity, Voyager had been alloted another two seasons to run, so no one was more surprized than the cast to find that they were about to wrap up the series in a very few episodes. Seven of Nine and Lt. Commander Chakotay where thrown into each others arms, we found out for the first time that Seven is unable to feel any deep pleasurable emotion, except that she does very much enjoy the taste of food. How this could happen when we've had pounded into our brains for seven seasons just how bad a cook Mr. Neelix is, is a mystery.
This mystery is soon overshadowed by the mystery of why Seven's I.Q. would then drop so sharply as to lead her to believe that the Doctor could remove primary cortical node without killing her. How could she inexplicbly forget the recent failure of her last primary cortical node, which Icheb, one of the Borg children for whom she was serving as foster mother (why we now don't know because she couldn't love them) replaced with his own by removing his on his own and then staggering into sickbay and handing it to the Doctor (why? we now don't know, because we've confidently told that he was unable to love her), then the pair of them bikered over just who was going to die for whom (why? we now no longer know) until the Doctor snarls,
"Well, someone use the damn thing!"
Was Seven of Nine truly incapable of feeling love for others? What's this all about, then?

Seven_cradles_the_ailing_Borg_baby.jpg

I guess what Seven really has in mind here is to take this tiny baby back to Voyager's mess hall and and ask Mr. Neelix to cook it for her, and that was the episode which was seriously flawed, not Endgame.

Pointman, Rick Berman was the culprit How many great scripts were dumped? At least one season's worth...if not more.
Berman sux.

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Plan 9 said:
I'm trying desperately to get myself out of this cheap office chair and sitting in one which actually supports my back, so I can stay online.

My home desk chair broke while I was sitting in it. I fell backwards on the floor.This chair always cause my back to ache. Because of my budget I'm using one of my hard wood kitchen chairs. I'm amazed, this simple stiff hard wood chair (non-rolling) with a pillow works better than the expensive cushion office chairs.

I was surprised to find that I was such a purist when it comes to Star Trek; I'm not about much else. (for "purist", read "stick in the mud" ;)

Why are you such a purist? What is it about Star Trek? Have there been any studies on this phenomena? It would make an interesting paper to read or write.

I dislike Nemesis far more; Berman Bermaned it all up.

I was disappointed in this movie too. The Scimitar upstaged the Enterprise E. E replaced our beloved Galaxy class starship and they didn't spend enough time on it but instead they emphasis the superiority of this Reman ship. The 1701-E is twice the size of the 1701-D, and incorporates several revolutionary designs. Tell me about the ship! Why did Data have to die!!!?
For me Star Trek is about the ship and the unique men and women living out the adventure together on the ship. In VOG that was their lifeboat in a turbulent distant sea. DS9 didn't have this.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
Berman sux.

You bet he does. This isn't the first time he's nearly sunk our beloved Star Trek franchise for good. It's just the one people know about because now we have no Star Trek series or films to watch. grumble grumble
I just hope that he (or Paramount) feels that now his work is done, so he'll move aside for someone else who knows what he or she is doing.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Pointman7 said:
My home desk chair broke while I was sitting in it. I fell backwards on the floor.This chair always cause my back to ache. Because of my budget I'm using one of my hard wood kitchen chairs. I'm amazed, this simple stiff hard wood chair (non-rolling) with a pillow works better than the expensive cushion office chairs.

Yes, when only my lumbar spinal muscles were failing, my stiff hard wood chair worked best for me for years. Now the nerves are going too, though. It's a poser, really.

Why are you such a purist. What is it about Star Trek? Have there been any studies on this phenomena? It would make an interesting paper to read or write.

I think it's very simple in my case. The Roddenbury Star Trek universe (as opposed to the bermaned-up one) is the future I hope for and long be a part of, however vicariously.

If I wish to see the future I fear we will make for ourselves, I need only watch the Alien films again.

I was disappointed in this movie too. The Scimitar upstaged the Enterprise D. D replaced our beloved Galaxy class starship and they didn't spend enough time on it but instead they emphasis the superiority of this Reman ship. The 1701-E is twice the size of the 1701-D, and incorporates several revolutionary designs. Tell me about the ship!

Yes, agreed!

Why did Data have to die!!!?

Yeah, it was just like killing Bambi, wasn't it?

And how'd you like that 'clone' of Picard who bore no rememblance to him whatsoever? What a little punk he was. He was no Star Trek villian, that's for sure.

For me Star Trek is about the ship and the unique men and women living out the adventure together on the ship. In VOG that was their lifeboat in a turbulent distant sea.

Oh, beautifully said, Pointman!

DS9 didn't have this.

Given DS-9's remoteness and the presence of the wormhole, I think it could have, and sometimes it did. Then it would star geting all bermaned-up and I would stop watching it for the rest of the season, and then try it again the next.
"hmm...Commander Cisco has irrationally screamed at Nog for wanting to join Starfleet, yet has not turned out to be possessed by some alien organism or illness." *click*

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
You bet he does. This isn't the first time he's nearly sunk our beloved Star Trek franchise for good. It's just the one people know about because now we have no Star Trek series or films to watch. grumble grumble
I just hope that he (or Paramount) feels that now his work is done, so he'll move aside for someone else who knows what he or she is doing.
I've said this before: Whatever success Trek enjoyed was in spite of Berman...not because of him. ;)

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
I've said this before: Whatever success Trek enjoyed was in spite of Berman...not because of him. ;)

Can't put all the blame or non-success on this poor fellow.

Also, during the late 80's and 90's technology was booming with faster computers, software companies making millions, birth of Internet and interest in space despite the Challenger disaster in 86'. It was a time perfect for Star Trek to flourish. We were moving into the future quickly and the Trek world seem more a reality than fictional dream. a time of change.

But, today kids are smarter and born with computers right out of the womb, raised by a computers, plays with computers, dates by computer, find jobs by computers, works with computers, walks and drives with computers. Star Trek is not as exciting to them as our generation. The HP35 calculator cost $500 in the 70's. We thought is was so cool!!

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Pointman7 said:
Can't put all the blame or non-success on this poor fellow.

Also, during the late 80's and 90's technology was booming with faster computers, software companies making millions, birth of Internet and interest in space despite the Challenger disaster in 86'. It was a time perfect for Star Trek to flourish. We were moving into the future quickly and the Trek world seem more a reality than fictional dream. a time of change.

But, today kids are smarter and born with computers right out of the womb, raised by a computers, plays with computers, dates by computer, find jobs by computers, works with computers, walks and drives with computers. Star Trek is not as exciting to them as our generation. The HP35 calculator cost $500 in the 70's. We thought is was so cool!!
All that actually does have an impact. Quite true. But Berman really did do quite a bit of damage to the Trek franchise over the years still. When I was watching TNG when it first came out, I had a computer and Atari in the house and I still thought it was great and so did everyone else. Now Voyager, DS9 and especially Enterprise definitely suffered exponentially more as time wore on from the "Berman Effect." ;) He tried to counter all the things you mention here with more sex and dumb plots. What he ended up doing was alienating (no pun intended!) the hard core fan base and making everyone else see Trek as just fluff.

I think if Trek was able to stay current with visual effects and still stay true to the original "mission" it wouldn't have tanked...or at least not so badly. I almost didn't watch Voyager at first cuz of the blatant new age stuff they were putting on for example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Pointman7 said:
HP35_1.JPG

The price of this in the 70's one can can buy a whole computer today. Kinda looks like TOS tricoder.
Yeah!!! My dad had a TI that was veeeery similar to that one. I miss the hard sound the buttons made when you pressed them. You could almost *feel* the computations being crunched! :D

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I dunno. TOS has zero special effects wich weren't laughable when it was first shown on prime time and the viewer can practically see a procenium arch.

Yet two generations born since mine have fallen in love with TOS, and I was in my twenties when I first saw the new computer game Pong sitting on a counter, played it and thought, "What a cool game".

Other old shows seem to me to do quite well, too. although I've talked to a few younger people who just can't get used to shows and films in black-and-white, which is a shame.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
jellybean said:
really? cool!

hows it going Plan, assimilated any new species lately? ;) :hug:

Greetings, jellybean! :hug: Right now, I'm struggling not to be assimilated by the alien nanoprobes loose in CF's program.
I am an ex-Borg drone and mean no harm to anyone.
I'm considering evacuating CF entirely until the hardware upgrade is done.

And you? Did the damage control crew arrive? If not, will we ever see you again? Will you ever read this?
Tune in next week...

____

um...WWW? What Voyager New Age material were you speaking of?

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Pointman7 said:
I'm not sure what kind but definitely not a mom look. Maybe admiration or even adoration.

Well, I used to catch my mom looking at me like that from time to time, and I really was just her little girl. There's a great deal of satisfaction in Janeway's look, because she has, once again, won Seven from the Borg Queen.

Let me see if I have any of those video clips from "Dark Frontier" uploaded yet.

Ah. Here we go:
http://sevenofnine.cherrytaco.com/S...k_Frontier/Seven_Borg_Queen_Individual_DF.wmv

http://sevenofnine.cherrytaco.com/S...ontier/Janeway_Naomi_3Things_DarkFrontier.wmv

http://sevenofnine.cherrytaco.com/S...Dark_Frontier/Seven_Borg_Queen_Janeway_DF.wmv

http://sevenofnine.cherrytaco.com/S..._Dark_Frontier/Janeway_Seven_DarkFrontier.wmv

But, I know that Kirk would not look at Spock that way :D

Yes, too true. There's this one Seven-Janeway fan-fic...but I think they've they've come to the wrong conclusion there.

And I don't want to even imagine what kind of look Kirk would give Seven.

Oh, no imagination needed there. In this case, we're not just talking Kirk; we're talking William Shatner. :D

But I'm glad at the end of the series she discovered human love and not in a Borg dream.

You know one of the things that bothered me about Endgame was the high-handed and callous way in which Admiral Janeway robbed them of their three years together, just because they didn't live long enough to please her. That didn't seem like something Captain Janeway would do.

The first officer (Riker)of TNG maybe the ladies man

Yeah, it's as though they split Captain Kirk in half and out walked Picard and Riker. LOL

but I think VOG First officer (Chekotah) won Seven's cold Borg heart.

Pointman, Pointman! haven't you ever seen Hitchcock? Seven of Nine is one of his blonds, whose cold exterior hides a deeply passionate nature. Ingrid Bergman in "Spellbound" comes to mind here, so perhaps the Borg are Swedish? Certainly Annika Hansen is.
As contrived as that romance was, some brave man was going to win her heart, sooner or later, and my understanding is that it was originally going to be the Doctor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
um...WWW? What Voyager New Age material were you speaking of?
I think it was the first episode or maybe the second where Janeway meet her "spirit guide" which was a gecko or something like that. It was way over done and definitely wasn't Trek to me. It was just so silly I almost didn't become a Voyager fan!! ;)

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
I dunno. TOS has zero special effects wich weren't laughable when it was first shown on prime time and the viewer can practically see a procenium arch.

Yet two generations born since mine have fallen in love with TOS, and I was in my twenties when I first saw the new computer game Pong sitting on a counter, played it and thought, "What a cool game".

Other old shows seem to me to do quite well, too. although I've talked to a few younger people who just can't get used to shows and films in black-and-white, which is a shame.
Pong rules!!!! :thumbsup: Kids are so spoiled these days. ^_^ I wiled away many an hour growing up with a Pong console in the house...

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,558.00
Faith
Christian
WalksWithChrist said:
I think it was the first episode or maybe the second where Janeway meet her "spirit guide" which was a gecko or something like that. It was way over done and definitely wasn't Trek to me. It was just so silly I almost didn't become a Voyager fan!!

The episode that most made me most want to quit a series was in DS9, where Sisko and his son “sailed” a ship from Bajor to Cardassia. Just about the stupidest premise for an episode of any sci-fi I’ve ever seen.

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
spock_16.jpg

Bunch of Herberts! At this point in the series I don't think anyone really cared. Its fun to watch. Cool man.

The space hippies: TOS, The Way to Eden Nagilum
Lets sing,"Got no trouble in my body or my mind.
Gonna eat the fruit, and throw away the rind.
Yee-ey, brother!"

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Trogdor the Burninator said:
The episode that most made me most want to quit a series was in DS9, where Sisko and his son “sailed” a ship from Bajor to Cardassia. Just about the stupidest premise for an episode of any sci-fi I’ve ever seen.
haha I actually liked that one!! ;)

Upvote 0