Best Star Trek captain

Who is the best Star Trek captain ?

• Archer

• Kirk

• Picard

• Sisko

• Janeway

• Other ( one-offs, mirror universes etc )

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
I still think Archer can pull off a win. ^_^

Come on...*somebody* vote for him!! Besides me...

I really like Archer as a character playing the role as first captain of the the first Enterprise. And I like the actor too. He got a bum deal. Bad writers...bad writers....bad writers....I could have come up with better stories, ideas, characters etc. than the idiots that they hired. Messing with the time space thing, Zendee problem were just some. They needed to keep it simple but instead got way to intense, complicated. Archer had to put up with a bunch of dysfunctional humans and non-humans.
I would have started the series with no alien contact at all. Dump the Vulcan first contact/ "not ready for space" crap. Make it a totally new experience to meet aliens to start. Archer would then be on the same level as Janeway.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Pointman7 said:
I really like Archer as a character playing the role as first captain of the the first Enterprise. And I like the actor too. He got a bum deal. Bad writers...bad writers....bad writers....I could have come up with better stories, ideas, characters etc. than the idiots that they hired. Messing with the time space thing, Zendee problem were just some. They needed to keep it simple but instead got way to intense, complicated. Archer had to put up with a bunch of dysfunctional humans and non-humans.
I would have started the series with no alien contact at all. Dump the Vulcan first contact/ "not ready for space" crap. Make it a totally new experience to meet aliens to start. Archer would then be on the same level as Janeway.
Yeah, Archer was a shining star among the muck of bad writing and production. Heck, I *like* Enterprise and I still criticize it! ^_^ There are some really good episodes, just not as many as I'd like.
They tried to do the same thing with the Xindi that they did with the Dominion (I generally liked the Dominion still...) and that was to make Trek into a soap opera. Bad idea! Sure, bring in the occasional Borg Cube but don't keep me hanging from week to week! Sheesh. They totally killed the sense of closure and accomplishment you got with the older series.

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
Yeah, Archer was a shining star among the muck of bad writing and production. Heck, I *like* Enterprise and I still criticize it! ^_^ There are some really good episodes, just not as many as I'd like.
They tried to do the same thing with the Xindi that they did with the Dominion (I generally liked the Dominion still...) and that was to make Trek into a soap opera. Bad idea! Sure, bring in the occasional Borg Cube but don't keep me hanging from week to week! Sheesh. They totally killed the sense of closure and accomplishment you got with the older series.

Yee-ey, brother! sinkin' herbert Berman messing with trekkie doctrine. YEE-EY, I liked it too and even started to get attached to the theme song at the introduction.

"Where My Heart Will Take Me", written by Diane Warren and performed by Russell Watson.
"It?s been a long road, getting from there to here.
It?s been a long time, but my time is finally near.
And I can feel the change in the wind right now".

How many of you sung along with it?

However, It is kinda of funny seeing reality shots of the Mercury, Apollo and Shuttle event timeline then suddenly the fictional pictures of the Enterprise as it really happened or will happen this way.
enterprise.gif

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
He was not only the first captain in the series but portrayed the role while the series was was still forming / on the fly.

Stewart gave a commanding performance in making the role his and not a repeat of Jim Kirk 100 years later. But Shatner, corny and hammy as he was, was the best.

The roles were a bit different. Kirk was "can do." Picard was "musn't touch." Kirk was rough rider Picard fine wine. That sort of thing.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Pointman7 said:
Yee-ey, brother! sinkin' herbert Berman messing with trekkie doctrine. YEE-EY, I liked it too and even started to get attached to the theme song at the introduction.

"Where My Heart Will Take Me", written by Diane Warren and performed by Russell Watson.

However, It is kinda of funny seeing reality shots of the Mercury, Apollo and Shuttle event timeline then suddenly the fictional pictures of the Enterprise as it really happened or will happen this way.
enterprise.gif
haha I hate to say it, but I despised that theme song! Me and the mute button got to be close friends after I heard that for the first time. ^_^ To me, it's the least convincing "Trek sounding" theme they could have come up with. I think they went way wrong by doing an actual song with lyrics at all. Either do a DS9 "instrumental" type thing or keep with the "Space...the Final Frontier" theme. Anything else is uncivilized. ;)
Now the footage I love. Seeing the progression from the space programs to early starships always fascinates me. :thumbsup: The one time they changed the theme was in the "Mirror universe" two-parter in season four. Very well done!!

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
The one time they changed the theme was in the "Mirror universe" two-parter in season four. Very well done!!

Was this the one episode when the mirror universe bad boys find a Constellation class Starship? That was so cool!!:thumbsup: It was operational and even wore the uniforms. I wish they made that the multi-episode-soap opera instead of the Xindi disaster. Seeing Archer in Kirk's green captain's shirt was hilarious.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Pointman7 said:

enterprise.gif

I sang along with it and the event timeline brought back vivid memories. I found it extremely touching.

Friends, I'm quitting CF, and I find that it's talking here with you I will the most of all the posting I've done here over fours years time. I'll miss you all very much; far more than you are likely to imagine.
Please do

Live long and prosper.

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Plan 9 said:
Friends, I'm quitting CF, and I find that it's talking here with you I will the most of all the posting I've done here over fours years time. I'll miss you all very much; far more than you are likely to imagine.
Please do

Live long and prosper.

Sorry to hear this Plan 9. I really enjoyed your posts! Also, I found them very informative. Four years is a long time. But, we need you too much here. Stay a little longer for us Trekkies!!
It feels like when Enterprise was cancelled. No more Star Trek and now no more Plan 9.:cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Pointman7 said:
Was this the one episode when the mirror universe bad boys find a Constellation class Starship? That was so cool!!:thumbsup: It was operational and even wore the uniforms. I wish they made that the multi-episode-soap opera instead of the Xindi disaster. Seeing Archer in Kirk's green captain's shirt was hilarious.
Yep, that's the one! That was probably my favorite Enterprise experience. :thumbsup: Those and the ones with "Data." ;) I totally agree on the Xindi thing. The mirror universe would have been way cooler. Some of the Xindi episodes were pretty good...it just dragged out way too much.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Plan 9 said:
I sang along with it and the event timeline brought back vivid memories. I found it extremely touching.

Please do

Live long and prosper.
Peace and long life! :wave:

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Plan 9 said:

Please do

Live long and prosper.

what?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

but your a fellow trekkie, i know there are others but we need you too!

:cry:

oh well. will miss you. :hug:

Upvote 0

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WalksWithChrist said:
. Some of the Xindi episodes were pretty good...it just dragged out way too much.
I think the writers were trying the "24" thing. Anytime the writers add the timeline change into an episode it waters down the strength or flavor and therefore anything can happen and turns it into a video game to reset if you lose. Kirk struggled and fought within a sphere of limitations. No "Q", no "traveler", no "Wesley", no "stupid Vulcans", no "holo deck" and no time travelers who guard the timeline.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pointman7

Dec 22, 2005
Tyler, Texas
✟9,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
alienDNA said:
I meant they are tied in MY book. I don't care about the poll. Kirk and Picard are both great...cannot pick just one.

If you had to serve as First officer to one who would it be?
Kirk had better adventures even with the paper-mache rocks and tin-foil backgrounds. He always left the ship on away missions with Spock and Bones.

Upvote 0

Manakin

Nov 29, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
✟15,388.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Pointman7 said:
If you had to serve as First officer to one who would it be?
Kirk had better adventures even with the paper-mache rocks and tin-foil backgrounds. He always left the ship on away missions with Spock and Bones.
Which is why it would be better to be Picard's exec. You get to have all the fun. ;)

Upvote 0