Best Christian Movies.

beigo

May 26, 2004
✟15,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bruce Almighty and Dogma, although not really Christian movies, both were definitely movies about Christianity.

I liked Bruce Almighty since it did have some really good points about our faith, but of course it wasn't perfect. I only saw it once a while ago and haven't seen the deleted scenes, but I would like to see it again.

But Dogma I couldn't stand. It pretty much took parts of Christianity and turned them into whatever they thought would make a good movie. I guess I just can't appreciate bad jokes when they're making fun of what I believe in.

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Believe it or not i haven't seen the Passion of the Christ yet! I was pregnant when it came out and i was afraid i would get too emotional and end up miscarrying the baby! Ever since it came out on DVD i keep saying i am going to watch it..but something keeps stopping me. i think part of me is afraid to see it! Is that weird?? i guess i don't want to see all the pain Christ endured!! i keep avoiding the movie every time i go into the video store! someone pray for me!

Bruce Almighty has to be my all time favorite box office Christian movie!! i LOVED it. My two favorite parts...when Bruce kneeled down on the highway and surrendered it all to God (right before he got hit by the semi) and my other favorite..when he was trying to get Grace back and he kneeled down and started saying "love me, love me, love me" trying to MAKE her love him and when she wouldnt he said something about free will and i thought...WOW that is what God must feel when people refuse to love him!!!

Brother Sun, Sister Moon was such an awesome movie about St. Francis of Assisi!! i highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it !!

Upvote 0

Ellesar

biomedical engineer-to-be and LOTR fanatic
Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Passion of the Christ
The Prince of Egypt
The Omega Code
The Ten Commandments
Megiddo
Left Behind
The Time Changer
Ben-Hur is also an awesome Christian movie!
the majority of the movies from TBN, don't feel like listing them all...

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anyone read about Mel Gibson's new movie. Well, the one he wants to make anyway? He wants to make a movie about the Maccabee's rebellion against Antiochus Epiphanes and the origin of Chanukah with the miracle of the oil in the temple. I don't know if he'll make it or not but it sounds like he has a lot of ideas about how he wants to make it. I'd go see it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cisco

Apr 17, 2004
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Passion of the Christ is the top of the tier list. This is the only movie that made you stop and think about the hardships our lord went through just to remedy us. I'm honest when i say this, but this is the only movie that i actually made me cry (the Lion king does not count since i was a kid back then).

W/c part of the movie got to you? For me it was the one where Jesus was getting pilled on, seeing the expression of Peter & Judas and watching Jesus jump after being punched was just too much. However, the one that really got me was the part when the Virgin mary started running towards Jesus. The one where it shows falsh backs of Jesus falling down as a child and how it goes coherant when she is running towards him in the present, despertly to comfort him in the time of pain.

Who in the heck would not cry to that?

Reactions: antiarte
Upvote 0

cisco

Apr 17, 2004
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Top tier

Passion of the christ
Jesus of Nazareth

2nd tier
Prince of Egypt
The Gospel of John

3rd tier
Hangman's Curse
End Of Days (I live in the philippines and our movies come 2 weeks or more late, so i saw this around the end of december 1999 and it scared the heck out of me)
Left Behind
The Ten Commandments

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SuzQ

I'm.....Wonder Woman
Apr 8, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
✟11,417.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
The best "Christian" movie? I agree with others that "The Passion of the Christ" is not so much a "good movie", as it is an emotional, spiritual experience like no other. Yes, it's hard to watch, but Mel does give you a break from the violence with "flashback" scenes sprinkled throughout the movie. As someone mentioned earlier, flashing back to Jesus as a child, Jesus giving the ultimate commandment to his disciples at the last supper, etc, etc.

I liked both Left Behind 1 AND Left Behind 2 movies. In fact, Left Behind 2 was more poignant & emotional to me when the WORLD is finally told the "truth" on television. (I won't go into detail - don't want to spoil too much for anyone :sorry: ). I loved The Prince of Egypt as well, along with The Preacher's Wife (Denzel Washington is HILARIOUS as an angel).

One that I hadn't seen mentioned on here yet was "The Seventh Sign" with Demi Moore? A little "unorthodox", but very, very cool story nonetheless. The ending was very emotional to me - it was beautiful. :pray:

Upvote 0

Nightwing

Nov 29, 2004
New York
✟528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Passion of the Christ is a great film because the director does an excellent job at showing the audience what the last 12 hours of Christ's life was like, without sugarcoating it like past films have done. Sure, it doesn't show Jesus teaching or anything. But was that the point of the film? No. It was to show his teachings in action.

King Arthur is a good movie with Christianity because the main character, Lucius Artorius Castus, is Christian. I'm talking about the director's cut and not the disappointing theatrical cut.

Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What would be the best Christian movies, especially covering somewhere in the 1st to 2nd c. AD?

I can think of:
  • Passion of the Christ (Saw it. Good quality)
  • Ben Hur (1959 - 86% on Rotten Tom)
    and 2010- 68% audience rating on RT,
    2016 version - 25% on RT, 59% audience)(Few snippets of Jesus)
  • Risen (any good?) 51% on rotten tomatoes, 71% audience score
  • Jesus of Nazareth (1977) Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=BrA9rYb732g
  • Last Temptation of Christ (Saw some of it, not great)
  • Gospel of John (2014) youtube.com/watch?v=C9wCgKBbNqM
  • Gospel of Matthew (1964; by Pasolini. Old Italian black and white movie I saw. OK)
  • Master and Margarita (I saw it. 1/3 of this good movie is a very pro-Christian but nonBiblical retelling of the gospel's Passion story)
  • Grand Inquisitor by Dostoyevsky. (Inquisitor arrests Jesus in 16th c. Spain.) youtube.com/watch?v=ADwTXfR6Yvc ; youtube.com/watch?v=XkEe56DXwkQ
  • The Robe (1953) (about the Passion story) Trailer youtube.com/watch?v=1oIY05cDU5w
  • Nativity Story (2006) Trailer youtube.com/watch?v=GISYw2N6YSY
  • The Holy Family
  • Fourth Wise Man (1985) (Looks kind of like TV quality) Trailer: godtube.com/watch/?v=MJ0MJNNU
  • The Jesus Mysteries (documentary)
  • Peter and the Last Supper (Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=GqIC4GQHnHs&feature=youtu.be)
  • Son of God (Recent movie series. It was arranged to minimize conflicts between modern Judaism and Christianity)
  • AD The Bible Continues (2015, Kelly, Dir) looks like it covers up to the Temple's Destruction. Looks like the kind of period not discussed as much after Acts breaks off. TV series. Trailer: A.D.: The Bible Continues Film/Movie Series, Burnett - CFDb (58 tomatometer, 82 audience)
  • AD: Trials and Temptations of the Early Church (1985, Dir. Stuart Cooper) (70 % on Amazon)
  • Barabbas (1961) ( 66% audience) Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=N4Yw2W4McJs
  • Barabbas (2013/2014) Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=tqxdufwHAFQ
  • King of Kings (1961) Trailer youtube.com/watch?v=5t9i4qowU7o
  • Peter and Paul (1981) Trailer vimeo.com/118960106
  • The Greatest Story Ever Told (Max von Sydow) Gospel story
  • Paul the Apostle (2000)
  • Saul
  • The Apocalypse (2002) w Richard Harris
  • Jesus Film (2014), John Heyman - Director
  • Jesus (Sisto as Jesus, 2000)
  • Road to Emmaus (2010 by Steve Boettcher, Director)
  • Acts of the Apostles (2010, directed by Regardt Van den Bergh)
  • St. John in Exile (1988 and 1996 )
  • Gospel of Mark (2015 by D. Batty?) Not sure this one was completed.
  • Gospel of Luke
  • Young Messiah (I heard it doesn't follow the Bible story well)
  • Restless Soul: The Confessions of Augustine
  • Nicea (About Constantine)
  • St. Peter (Omar Sharif)
  • Polycarp
  • The Bible (History Channel miniseries) The Bible (miniseries) - Wikipedia
  • Last Days in the Desert (About the 40 Days)
  • Visual Bible: The Book of Acts
  • Come Follow Me (About Peter)
  • My Son, My Savior (Mary's POV)
  • Full of Grace (About Mary) 2015 - 67% audience
  • Mary of Nazareth - 50% audience
  • Final Inquiry (2007) (Looks like the movie Risen, described from a few years after the resurrection) (34% audience score)
  • Joseph and Mary / Mary and Joseph
  • Big Fisherman (relates to the story of Herod and Jesus and John Baptiser)
  • Herod (1959) 4.6/10 stars
  • Pontius Pilate, (1962, Italian)
  • Killing Jesus, (National Geographic)
  • Judas 2004
  • Quo Vadis, (1951, 73% audience reviews) on 1st c. Roman Christians, a classic
    Quo Vadis (2001) Polish movie, 63% audience reviews
  • The Messiah: Prophecy Fulfilled
  • The Story of the 12 Apostles: History Channel Documentary (basic info on them, narrated by M.Sheen)
  • Flight of Faith: Travel Documentary: Trailer:
  • Decline of an Empire: Katherine of Alexandria: (2014; early 4th c. martyr)
  • Fabiola (1951) About the pagan Roman period and Christians there
  • The Savior (1971 & 2014)
  • Mary of Egypt (Arabic language movie about a 4th c. saint) Full: youtube.com/watch?v=2-IgHyq07KA
  • St. George (Indian movie on late 3rd c. saint), Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=WP30kwI6aIY
  • Incident in Judea (British drama based on Master and Margarita but only with the parts of the book involving the Bible directly)
  • Moses the black (movie on late 4th c. saint) youtube.com/watch?v=WFaP3KBp0DM
    youtube.com/watch?v=2HUgS267yrk
Other/related:
  • Masada, 1981 (86% audience approval on RT)
  • Rebellion -documentary by BBC on 70 AD Temple destruction bbcactivevideoforlearning.com/1/TitleDetails.aspx?TitleID=23911
  • Mysteries of the Bible: (History Channel series: Last Revolt ; Messiahs, Masada - the Last Fortress)
  • Dovekeepers: about fall of Masada
  • Memoirs of Hadrian - 2014 UK series
  • Cyril and Methodius: APostles to the Slavs. Cyril and Methodius: Apostles to the Slavs Film Series - CFDb
  • The Roman Empire in the First Century (got weak reviews)
  • Agora - movie about the pagan Hypatea and St Cyril of Alexandria
  • The Apostle, movie about a modern charismatic preacher played by Robert Duvall Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=fQe1Kehx110
  • My Search for Messiah (About a modern Jewish conversion) Trailer:
  • Book of Eli
  • Entertaining Angels, Dorothy Day, Entertaining Angels: The Dorothy Day Story - Christian Movie/Film DVD
Any I am missing here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0