Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend (actually Thursday-Sunday), and we're looking for a church to attend. Of course, it goes without saying that the best choir will be in the Slavic tradition :)P at MosestheBlack) but there are a bunch o' Slavic churches up there to choose from. So, those familiar with Pittsburgh, which church(es) do you recommend?

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm,

The choir is not AMAZING, though it is quite adequate, but for being welcoming, having a great priest, and generally nice people (though TERRIBLE mural iconography--they're slowly replacing it--ignore that and focus on the Theotokos, Joy of All Who Sorrow icon on the side) you should go to St. Nicholas' Church in McKees Rocks.
As a bonus, my old roomate and several old members of my OCF go there.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Please do tell me, how do you pronounce 'Pittsburgh'?

Is it pronounced as 'Edinburgh'?
Edin-Bur-rh. (silent 'g')

The worst example I've seen is, there is a place near where I live called 'Myerscough', I've heard people pronounce it as 'Miers-coff', as though it is a throat illness. It is 'Miers-coh'....again, silent 'g'.

By the way, I also love to use the oxford comma. :)

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please do tell me, how do you pronounce 'Pittsburgh'?

Is it pronounced as 'Edinburgh'?
Edin-Bur-rh. (silent 'g')

The worst example I've seen is, there is a place near where I live called 'Myerscough', I've heard people pronounce it as 'Miers-coff', as though it is a throat illness. It is 'Miers-coh'....again, silent 'g'.

By the way, I also love to use the oxford comma. :)
Pittsburgh is pronounced PITTS-BURG (no H), or you can call it "The 'Burg".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nickolai

Eastern Orthodox Priest
Dec 31, 2003
Bethlehem, PA
Visit site
✟10,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Umm,

The choir is not AMAZING, though it is quite adequate, but for being welcoming, having a great priest, and generally nice people (though TERRIBLE mural iconography--they're slowly replacing it--ignore that and focus on the Theotokos, Joy of All Who Sorrow icon on the side) you should go to St. Nicholas' Church in McKees Rocks.
As a bonus, my old roomate and several old members of my OCF go there.

It's probably a bad thing that I'm not directing you to my home parish in the Southside, but I agree with choirfiend. St. Nicholas has some very excellent people, a good Priest, and a fairly decent choir. Not to say that my parish isn't nice, but our choir is ummmmm......something other than what you asked for.

Their Priest is Fr. Thomas Soroka, who is the host of "The Path" on AFR.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.