Nottingham
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
:O You didn't like Gerard Butler's voice?!? I loved it. I thought he was so good in the role and his version of 'Music of the Night' is sooo lovely. I like the way the film ended because how it ends on stage just wouldn't have been spectacular on film. They can do so much more than someone disappearing in movies now it wouldn't have had the same impact! The ending as it was was very sweet and I loved how they implied he was still around...

Upvote 0

KittyCatCurledUp

Nov 29, 2006
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:O You didn't like Gerard Butler's voice?!? I loved it. I thought he was so good in the role and his version of 'Music of the Night' is sooo lovely. I like the way the film ended because how it ends on stage just wouldn't have been spectacular on film. They can do so much more than someone disappearing in movies now it wouldn't have had the same impact! The ending as it was was very sweet and I loved how they implied he was still around...
I guess I am just used to the Broadway voices, so it was just different to me. :) :) I **loved** his acting though, he was really spot on! :)

That is a fabulous observation about the ending of the film -- they took full advantage of the medium they were working with and created a lovely ending. Plus, fans of the play want to see that he turned out alright in the end, since he dies in the book and all other film versions!

:D

Upvote 0

Paddington

My life laid bear (geddit?!?) before Jesus
Dec 21, 2005
Nottingham
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I guess I am just used to the Broadway voices, so it was just different to me. :) :) I **loved** his acting though, he was really spot on! :)

That is a fabulous observation about the ending of the film -- they took full advantage of the medium they were working with and created a lovely ending. Plus, fans of the play want to see that he turned out alright in the end, since he dies in the book and all other film versions!

:D

Definitely, his acting in the way he sung and his facial expressions.... excellent. I love the thought that he spent his life watching over her and never stopped loving her. But also that he learned enough to leave her alone until that moment. *sniff* it's so sad! The sadness of it didn't strike me so much when I saw it on stage.

Upvote 0

Luke34

Dec 20, 2006
Frostburg, MD
✟7,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Gerard Butler was, I thought, miscast. He was much too young and handsome (part of the creepiness of the original is that the Phantom is basically middle-aged) and he had a horridly pop voice. He got better near the end, possibly because he looked deformed instead of handsome. Also, what was with the new version of the Overture? And the electric guitar solo in the title song?
(P.S. Phantom is Lloyd Webber's best show, followed by Evita, followed by JCS, followed by everything else and then Cats.)

Upvote 0

Paddington

My life laid bear (geddit?!?) before Jesus
Dec 21, 2005
Nottingham
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Gerard Butler was, I thought, miscast. He was much too young and handsome (part of the creepiness of the original is that the Phantom is basically middle-aged) and he had a horridly pop voice. He got better near the end, possibly because he looked deformed instead of handsome. Also, what was with the new version of the Overture? And the electric guitar solo in the title song?
(P.S. Phantom is Lloyd Webber's best show, followed by Evita, followed by JCS, followed by everything else and then Cats.)

Ok but handsome kind of fits into filmworld :p It's a bit more believable that Christine is drawn to him if he's not completely grotesque and old. And I loved his voice. He's a brilliant actor and that came though in his singing as well. (IMO!) I think his version of 'Music of the Night' was lovely.
As for the new version of the overture, it's just extended to fit in everything. I quite liked it, but I still prefer the original.
The only thing that bugged me was the extra Raoul-ness. The swordfight and the bit where he almost drowns..... stop trying to fit him in where he's not wanted!!!

Upvote 0