Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He was a great intellectual and wrote some very good books.

When I went on retreat at St Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, the Retreat Master, who
is generally liberal, told us how open minded, and progressive Pope Benedict XVI was.

So, this raised my curiosity enough to start reading his books. Sure enough
contrary to popular belief, he was more progressive in his mindset than
people understood about him. He just wasn't good at world politics, which
is why I believe he resigned.

Anyway, I loved him as much as all the other popes in my lifetime.

RIP, Joseph Ratzinger, Pope Benedict XVI

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I just saw this pop up on the news. Lord have mercy. I read his book on Christ (I think it's just called "Jesus", but I could be misremembering) some years ago when I had already left the RCC but had yet to find a Coptic Orthodox parish to go to (there was a three year period where I wasn't really anywhere), and from what I recall, it was pretty darn impressive. He was definitely a very big intellect in a church that has had many. I suspect his legacy will only grow with time to be much greater than the relatively short reign of his pontificate would suggest.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just saw this pop up on the news. Lord have mercy. I read his book on Christ (I think it's just called "Jesus", but I could be misremembering) some years ago when I had already left the RCC but had yet to find a Coptic Orthodox parish to go to (there was a three year period where I wasn't really anywhere), and from what I recall, it was pretty darn impressive. He was definitely a very big intellect in a church that has had many. I suspect his legacy will only grow with time to be much greater than the relatively short reign of his pontificate would suggest.
Pope Benedict XVI wrote a three-volume set of books called, "Jesus of Nazareth." Very informative and what led me
to see how the Gospel of John to be closer in historical accuracy than the others.

I also read his book, "Values in Times of Upheaval," which showed a more progressive side of Pope Benedict XVI.

Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟972,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I, too, read his book on Christ. I consider it a classic.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After becoming Pope, Benedict showed a gentler pastoral side as he led the universal church.
He showed humility and courage in resigning. The movie "the two popes", covering conversations between Pope Benedict and his future successor, was a beautiful film showing mutual respect during prayer and dialogue together.
His death has made Pope Francis, now 86, able to make a similar decision. That leaves me a little mournful because I believe Pope Francis has been the most extraordinary Church leader since Pope John XXIII. His Jesuit background along with his experience leading the order and South America and dealing with many years in exile when the civil wars ended and the brutal dictators who were tacitly supported by many priests were overthrown, have given him unbelievable compassion and mercy. I think I am not so much mourning the death of Pope Benedict, a good Pope, as the potential resignation of Pope Francis, an extraordinary one.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,216.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
After becoming Pope, Benedict showed a gentler pastoral side as he led the universal church.
He showed humility and courage in resigning. The movie "the two popes", covering conversations between Pope Benedict and his future successor, was a beautiful film showing mutual respect during prayer and dialogue together.
His death has made Pope Francis, now 86, able to make a similar decision. That leaves me a little mournful because I believe Pope Francis has been the most extraordinary Church leader since Pope John XXIII. His Jesuit background along with his experience leading the order and South America and dealing with many years in exile when the civil wars ended and the brutal dictators who were tacitly supported by many priests were overthrown, have given him unbelievable compassion and mercy. I think I am not so much mourning the death of Pope Benedict, a good Pope, as the potential resignation of Pope Francis, an extraordinary one.
If by extroadinary you mean someone who is seeking to change the Catholic Church into a more progressive institution away from it's historical teachings. Sure, i guess that's extroadinary but not in a good way.

To my mind, I always liked Pope Benedict and respected his theological output. Others have already mentioned his books on the life of Jesus which I would say is essential reading for any modern Christian. At the same time I feel his retiring from the Papacy and leaving it open to the likes of Francis has not helped Catholicism.

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I really appreciated Pope Benedict XVI. He truly loved God with all his heart and he wanted the world to see what he saw in our all loving, all caring and all powerful God. He showed us God's Truth and it was for us to accept (not change it to suit ourselves). Finally, he showed the beauty of God's Church on Earth. The secular world rejected him just like they rejected Jesus. They did not want to hear what he had to say and they demonized him for his words and actions. They did not even try to understand him.

God bless Pope Benedict XVI

Upvote 0