Visit site
✟84,202.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a health aspect to that in the sense of self-respect and confidence in terms of human psychology. However, as Christians, we are to put God first. Luke 14:
26 If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

God dwells in us. John 15:
5 I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

Phillipians 4:
3 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Proverbs 3:
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart.

There is a warning in Jeremiah 9:
23 This is what the Lord says: ‘Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches.’

Should a Christian believe in himself?

I'd rather focus on God than on myself. He is infinitely wiser than me :)

See also Is loving yourself a sin?.

Last edited:

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Many today who at least identify as christian, place faith in government, science and the traditions of men. Over Biblical accounts, so much so that many areas of The Bible are turned into metaphors (especially in creation areas). So people may still use the christian tag, but many of The Bibles areas must align with mans history, science, philosophy, etc.. So yes many christians have faith in themselves or better stated, faith in their fellow man.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟419,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I make sure I pray for others before myself. People are Gods greatest resource, hands, feet, mouths. He can’t accomplish his plans w/o us. We need His word, to be right with Him. We will never accomplish self love through self will though we try for a lifetime. There will always be that emptiness. We can love even if we don’t love ourselves. It’s pride if we won’t try.

Thanks for the study @tonychanyt . Maybe I had you wrong. Signed, not disqualified…

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Should a Christian believe in himself?
The Key here is to believe. As far as self, God writes the book of our life at or before conception. So we need to believe we can be the person God created us to be. We need to believe we can follow God's plan and purpose for us and our lives. We need to believe God is good and He wants the best for us. We need to believe in what is possible. We do not receive what we want or need because we do not believe.

"Where there is no vision, the people perish" Proverbs 29:18 We have to have a vision of what we want to be.

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0