Believe in Jesus and you will be saved?

mjb72384

Apr 4, 2007
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I often hear that all i have to do is accept Jesus in my heart and I will be a Christian but then I hear people saying if I don't have a certain political affiliation or if I don't believe certain things about theology then I am "wrong". This very thing has distanced me from Christianity and left me jaded. What do you guys think?

P

Publius

I often hear that all i have to do is accept Jesus in my heart and I will be a Christian

That's unfortunate. The idea that we "accept Jesus" isn't found anywhere in scripture or in any of the historic creeds, confessions, or catechisms of Christianity. It originated with a man named Charles Finney, who was famous for manipulating people emotionally in order to get them to convert to Christianity.

To the contrary, we see in scripture that it is Jesus' perogative to accept us or not accept us. A good example of this is in the account of the "rich young ruler".

What makes one a Christian is repentence and faith in Christ's atonement on their behalf and baptism. The first half, repentence and faith, saves a person. That is, that it is by this that the atoning blood of Jesus is applied and they are forgiven, exchanging Christ's righteousness for their sinful record.

The second half, baptism, is the means by which a person declares themselves to be a Christian, crucified with Christ and raised to new life in Him, while gaining acceptance into the Church.

but then I hear people saying if I don't have a certain political affiliation or if I don't believe certain things about theology then I am "wrong".

Depends on what you mean by "wrong". If you mean mistaken or misguided, then, yes, these things could make you wrong.

But if you mean that they disqualify you from salvation or from being a Christian, then, yes, believing wrong things about theology or not believing certain things about theology may disqualify you.

Political beliefs, themselves cannot disqualify you, but they could be indicative of certain beliefs or behavior that may disqualify you.

This very thing has distanced me from Christianity and left me jaded.

I don't believe this is what distances one from Christianity. What we see in the Bible is that people resist Christ out of pride, out of a refusal to humble themselves, out of love for their own flesh and a refusal to die to their own sin.

Upvote 0

mjb72384

Apr 4, 2007
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's unfortunate. The idea that we "accept Jesus" isn't found anywhere in scripture or in any of the historic creeds, confessions, or catechisms of Christianity. It originated with a man named Charles Finney, who was famous for manipulating people emotionally in order to get them to convert to Christianity.

To the contrary, we see in scripture that it is Jesus' perogative to accept us or not accept us. A good example of this is in the account of the "rich young ruler".

What makes one a Christian is repentence and faith in Christ's atonement on their behalf and baptism. The first half, repentence and faith, saves a person. That is, that it is by this that the atoning blood of Jesus is applied and they are forgiven, exchanging Christ's righteousness for their sinful record.

The second half, baptism, is the means by which a person declares themselves to be a Christian, crucified with Christ and raised to new life in Him, while gaining acceptance into the Church.

Depends on what you mean by "wrong". If you mean mistaken or misguided, then, yes, these things could make you wrong.

But if you mean that they disqualify you from salvation or from being a Christian, then, yes, believing wrong things about theology or not believing certain things about theology may disqualify you.

Political beliefs, themselves cannot disqualify you, but they could be indicative of certain beliefs or behavior that may disqualify you.

I don't believe this is what distances one from Christianity. What we see in the Bible is that people resist Christ out of pride, out of a refusal to humble themselves, out of love for their own flesh and a refusal to die to their own sin.

Thats funny that you mention pride seeing as how everything you said sounds pretty egotistical and prideful to me.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I just feel a lot of believe exactly like me to the t or you will be doomed which troubles me. I'm just trying to figure it out.

Actually most people consider the demand that you believe exactly as they do to be the sign of a "cult," not healthy Christianity.

As I read it, Paul's idea of faith is more or less an overall orientation of your life. It doesn't keep you from making mistakes, and it doesn't mean you agree with every other Christian (as if that were possible). It means you're committed to Christ and do your best to follow him. When people asked Jesus, he said the key was loving God and your neighbor. He also taught the importance of obedience, though he made it clear that he didn't expect perfection.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
mjb72384 said:
I just feel a lot of believe exactly like me to the t or you will be doomed which troubles me. I'm just trying to figure it out.

We're all just trying to figure it out.

Run very fast from anyone who is sure they have it all figured out.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I often hear that all i have to do is accept Jesus in my heart and I will be a Christian but then I hear people saying if I don't have a certain political affiliation or if I don't believe certain things about theology then I am "wrong". This very thing has distanced me from Christianity and left me jaded. What do you guys think?

Some of us don't embrace what we call "Decision Theology", that is, "accept Jesus into your heart and you will be saved" because it, in our estimation, is shallow and centered on human will, rather than God's loving mercy and compassion on us revealed and manifest in and through Jesus Christ.

Additionally, you'll find that there exists, no where in the historic Christian Creeds any mention of political affiliation. Christians are all over the political map, liberals, conservatives, other and everything in between.

However Christianity does present solid affirmations of faith, these can be found in the historic Creeds, specifically the Nicene Creed. However, I don't argue that one has to confess every tenet of the Creed in order to "be saved", since I fail to see how that can be the case; but being a Christian does involve living in the living, breathing confession of the Christian Church. Since what we believe does matter and one cannot separate confession and doing from one another: what we believe is intricately tied to how we live.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Actually most people consider the demand that you believe exactly as they do to be the sign of a "cult," not healthy Christianity.

As I read it, Paul's idea of faith is more or less an overall orientation of your life. It doesn't keep you from making mistakes, and it doesn't mean you agree with every other Christian (as if that were possible). It means you're committed to Christ and do your best to follow him. When people asked Jesus, he said the key was loving God and your neighbor. He also taught the importance of obedience, though he made it clear that he didn't expect perfection.
Good post. Paul said faith without love is worthless. 1 Cor 13:2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mjb72384 said:

There are still "Pharisees" running around pushing people away from Christianity today. Believe in Jesus, and let He who is the perfect author and finisher of our faith show you. No man or woman breathing can tell you perfectly how to be Christian. I am praying for you! God bless you real good!

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are so many differing ideals and denominations but the whole political issue is not neccesarily a contributing factor though your beliefs certainly make up your outlook and your political beliefs are certainly a part of that but in my opinion the only thing that makes you "saved" is repentance of your sins. Worry about the small things later. The most important thing, in my opinion,is your commitment to Jesus and glorifying Him.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mjb72384-

There are certain denominations/sects which teach that not only are we to accept Jesus Christ as divine, but we are also to accept their heirarchy as divine. So whatever they say that we are to believe we must believe, or else we are either not truly saved or we are in peril of losing our salvation. I have experienced this kind of theology from 4 different denominations/sects, and in each and every case, it was a means of manipulating people into accepting agendas which that heirarchy was personally promoting in order to gain wealth and power for themselves or a special-interest organization which they were 'fronting' for.

The bottom line is that if you accept Jesus Christ's sacrifice as having cleansed you of your sins, you are saved. It is not through our actions that we are saved. Instead, it is through our acceptance of God's actions on our behalf that we are saved (Romans 3:19-5:10).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mjb72384

Apr 4, 2007
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
mjb72384-

There are certain denominations/sects which teach that not only are we to accept Jesus Christ as divine, but we are also to accept their heirarchy as divine. So whatever they say that we are to believe we must believe, or else we are either not truly saved or we are in peril of losing our salvation. I have experienced this kind of theology from 4 different denominations/sects, and in each and every case, it was a means of manipulating people into accepting agendas which that heirarchy was personally promoting in order to gain wealth and power for themselves or a special-interest organization which they were 'fronting' for.

The bottom line is that if you accept Jesus Christ's sacrifice as having cleansed you of your sins, you are saved. It is not through our actions that we are saved. Instead, it is through our acceptance of God's actions on our behalf that we are saved (Romans 3:19-5:10).

Thanks and great response. I've been subject to similar hierachies in the past. :liturgy:

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
✟7,702.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mjb72384-

I second the importance of this.

Because I am fascinated by the history of the Christian church and love to study the theological differences between the different denominations/movements, I've gotten caught up in hierarchies before myself. I've gotten caught up in the "this church/Christian group/political group/faith path is the only right one" stuff numerous times and each time it's carried me further away from simple faith in Christ. The more time I spend studying their own teachings, the less time I spend walking with the Lord daily in my life.

If any political group, denomination, church, organization, etc. is spending more time telling you about their own agenda then they are preaching Christ, run from them. St. Paul specifically discouraged his hearers from worrying about taking sides with one Christian leader over another (1 Corinthians 1:10-17). What did he say? "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved —you and your household." (Acts 16:31)

God bless

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear mjb72384.Yes, believe in Jesus, but how do you show Jesus that you believe in Him? You follow his Teachings: Jesus told Nicodemus to " Be Born Again," how is it done? Jesus told a Lawyer in Matthew 22, verses 35-40:
" The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus states this great fact: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." How is it done?
Start by treating all you know and all you meet as you would love to be treated: always kindly and with friendly words, and helping hands,
( when needed.) God will see our sincere efforts to love and care, and God will approve and bless us. We are also showing that we love God, because we are following God`s Commandments.
Jesus will give us his Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will empower us with His Love, also. Jesus told us to " Ask and ye will receive," then we thank God and share all Love and Joy with all around us. (our neighbour)
We keep asking for as much Love and Joy as we want to spread, always thanking God and sharing it with others. Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us, Jesus is The Way. Be Born Again, shed our selfishness and become the men and women which God wants. God is Love, and we are the representatives in this imperfect world. Love is very catching, and sooner or later, others will want to join us. Love is a Chrristian`s strong weapon, Love will overcome all enmity, and evil. Love and Obey, there is no better way.
I say this with love, mjb. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Whenever I have seen denominations which preached that we must follow ecclesiastical laws as well as accept Christ or we aren't really saved, I have soon come to the realization that the 'laws' which they really emphasize are those which benefit the heirarchy of that denomination. They may pay lipservice to not committing murder, adultery, theft, etc., but they insist that if a person wants to be truly saved, he has to coax others into leaving their denominations and joining that particular denomination. IOW, it's a pyramid scheme with salvation being used as the impetus.

The reality is that in order for us to live lives that are in accordance with what God wants of us, we must first place our faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ as the sole means of cleansing us of our sins and removing those sins from us. After accepting this gift of salvation, we must again place our faith in God's ability to remake us into the people who can carry out the work that he wants of us:

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

The acts of the sinful nature are the origin of every sinful act which has ever been committed. They are also at the very core of the nature we are all born with. Some are suppressed as we grow up due to familial and societal pressures, but they're still there. And no righteous act can be performed by using the motivations listed here. Just as a poisoned tree cannot bear good fruit, an action using these motivations as its reason for being cannot be seen as righteous.

But since they are at the very core of our being, we can't simply brush them aside. They are ourselves, and are as much a part of us as our eye color and our ethnicity. It would be easier for a leopard to exchange his spots for the stripes of a tiger than it would be for us to subdue these motivations. We need outside help. That's why in the first paragraph of this passage it's the Spirit who is battling our sinful nature, not we ourselves doing battle with it.

But subduing our original nature is not the only thing that the Spirit does. He implants within us a new nature, one which has 'the fruit of the Spirit' at its core. It is through the influence of these 'fruit' on us that we become capable of saying and doing the words and actions which God wants of us. Just as 'the acts of the sinful nature' can be seen as the origin of every sinful act, 'the fruit of the Spirit' can be seen as the origin of every righteous act. That's why the words immediately following their listing are, "Against such things there is no law." When these 'fruit' dictate our words and actions, then those words and actions will be 'in synch' with what God wants of us.

We need to remember this saying: "He did all the right things, but for all the wrong reasons." Certain actions can superficially be seen as righteous. But whether or not that is truly the case depends on what the impetus was which preceded the action. Was it a desire to make points with God, and thus earn stars in our crowns? Then the impetus was selfish ambition, an act of the sinful nature. Was the impetus a desire to show kindness and compassion toward others? Then the impetus was the fruit of the Spirit. In order for the action to be seen as righteous, the impetus must also be righteous.

But can this be accomplished if we are frightened? Can we adopt this nature if we are afraid that our actions from one minute to the next will either keep us safe, or condemn us to hell? No, it cannot. If we're afraid that we will condemn ourselves from one moment to the next via our own weaknesses, our sole concentration will be on our own welfare, rather than the welfare of those around us. It is only when confidence in our salvation is assured through accepting it as a gift offered to us freely because of God's infinite mercy that we can be remolded into a being with the new nature that God wants us to have, and to manifest toward others.

Upvote 0