Veteran
Mar 5, 2005
✟17,459.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Isn't the Messiah the one who said "I am the Way?"
Torah is the way, the truth and the life.
Yeshua says he is the Way, the truth and the life.
Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

That is the Way, and that is the way I shall go.

I discovered the Way without benefit of a secular history book, but I did find the Way from the Hebrew history book.

So do I exist? I think so.

Shalom

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is actually a reference to one of the prophets, discussing "The Way", not a reference to the sayings of Jesus. There's a lot you could read on early messianic jews in reference to this, especially before the great divide between the messianics and the other jewish sects.

Upvote 0

fremen

Jul 31, 2007
✟15,638.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Rebbe is the yiddish for Rabbi.

Considering only the etimology, it's true. But in traditional Jewish environment it's usually applied differently. At least where I live, where most of the Ortodox are Hassidic. In Hassidism, a Rebbe is seen as the leader of a particular Hassidic sect. Hence my wondering if it would be the same in the Messianic world.

Kol tov,
Fremen

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Considering only the etimology, it's true. But in traditional Jewish environment it's usually applied differently. At least where I live, where most of the Ortodox are Hassidic. In Hassidism, a Rebbe is seen as the leader of a particular Hassidic sect. Hence my wondering if it would be the same in the Messianic world.

Kol tov,
Fremen
Not single rabbis, but certainly groups of them. UMJC and MJAA are very competitive. And even within UMJC you have Hashivenu and Dayeinu. Oy veh! Not really "sects," more like groups that get grouchy with each other.:doh:

Upvote 0

A_Pioneer

Veteran
Mar 5, 2005
✟17,459.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You may exist, but no movement really holds the title right now ;)
How sad! Like the Cherokee people take the derogatory word Indian for "The Principle People" and the Way takes on a slur "Christian"! How incredibly sad!? Just my opinion.

Shalom

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is this group "the Way" synonymous with "Messianic"? And do I understand you to say that "the Way" and/or Messianics are not Christian? I guess I'm just a little confused here. :sorry:

I'm slightly confused by people's answers as well. While it is true that ALL of the initial believers were Jewish, no sooner did Cornelius convert than the movement spread beyond. Acts records the council of Yerushalayim, where VERY CLEARLY the standards for the gentile congregations were set to be different than for the Jewish assemblies, following the idea that Jews had ALWAYS believed, that righteous gentiles need not become Jews. So you had two very different models. You had the messianic Jews in Yerushalayim, who met on the porch of the Temple, and lived within the Jewish community there.

But the second model was the gentile churches, which were set up quite early, and were quite different.

I forget who it was, but someone made a negative remark about the Greek and Roman Churches. Didn't Rav Shaul visit the believers in Antioch? Was this not a Greek church? Didn't Rav Shaul write an entire letter to the believers in Rome? Was it not a Roman church there? These were churches set up by the apostles. Who dares call them apostate simply because they were not messianic Jewish?

Reactions: Ivy
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I forget who it was, but someone made a negative remark about the Greek and Roman Churches. Didn't Rav Shaul visit the believers in Antioch? Was this not a Greek church? Didn't Rav Shaul write an entire letter to the believers in Rome? Was it not a Roman church there? These were churches set up by the apostles. Who dares call them apostate simply because they were not messianic Jewish?
The assumption seems to be that the churches of Paul were outside the local synagogues in the area but that is not how scripture reads. Paul went to the synagogues each sabbath, and so did the gentiles.

Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
visionary, your quote from ACTS was not regarding gentile believers in churches, but gentiles YET TO BECOME believers. They were in the synagogues because they were seeking conversion to Judaism or because they were righteous gentiles. Such a thing was the norm.

Upvote 0
M

Melchizedek

The discussion of a re-constitution of the Jerusalem Council, the global Messianic Beit Din, can be found at www JerusalemCouncil org.

I just posted a topic about it here in this forum, and I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that this was the latest thread before mine. Heh. It seems very timely. Perhaps that is how the Spirit of God is working this project.

Anyways, I hope you all will visit the project and consider participating in its formation!

Shalom!

Melchizedek

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
visionary, your quote from ACTS was not regarding gentile believers in churches, but gentiles YET TO BECOME believers. They were in the synagogues because they were seeking conversion to Judaism or because they were righteous gentiles. Such a thing was the norm.
What gave you that idea???

Upvote 0

RebbeCohen

Aug 5, 2007
✟7,676.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Not single rabbis, but certainly groups of them. UMJC and MJAA are very competitive. And even within UMJC you have Hashivenu and Dayeinu. Oy veh! Not really "sects," more like groups that get grouchy with each other.:doh:

You just hit the primary reason I am not all that interested in joining any of these groups. I have dealt with the infighting between thye mjaa and the umjc. i have also seen the infighting within the mjaa amongst itself and the same with the umjc. I won't even go to the other organizations. To me, any group that has any form of Jew and Christian in their names is not for me.

Upvote 0

A_Pioneer

Veteran
Mar 5, 2005
✟17,459.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You just hit the primary reason I am not all that interested in joining any of these groups. I have dealt with the infighting between thye mjaa and the umjc. i have also seen the infighting within the mjaa amongst itself and the same with the umjc. I won't even go to the other organizations. To me, any group that has any form of Jew and Christian in their names is not for me.
Amen!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums