west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really don't know where this thread should go so I took a guess that this may be the closest one (admins, please feel free to move it appropriately).

Does it make me sound unfriendly if I ask not to be photographed at church (for social media purposes)?

Do churches have the right to randomly photograph people or post their photos on the social media without their consent?

It almost makes me not want to go when my worshipping or praying could get photographed and end up in a public social media. I know some of you think, what's a big deal, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn’t do it. You should have the ability to decline. There should be disclosures too. That’s a standard for photographers. Pictures and videos have a long shelf life and can be tied to a person years later.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should have the choice on being photographed. The question is, do you stop the photographer or step out of the shot?

Yes, that is if I notice the photographer. Most skilled ones catch the moments you are focused on something else to get the natural effect.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The church could also use the option to edit the photos to blur the faces of those in the photos who don't want to be recognized. It could be a workable compromise.

In any case, I don't believe that a church should be able to use a person's image against their will. Even in cases where it is legal, I don't believe it would be ethical.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I really don't know where this thread should go so I took a guess that this may be the closest one (admins, please feel free to move it appropriately).

Does it make me sound unfriendly if I ask not to be photographed at church (for social media purposes)?

Do churches have the right to randomly photograph people or post their photos on the social media without their consent?

It almost makes me not want to go when my worshipping or praying could get photographed and end up in a public social media. I know some of you think, what's a big deal, but it's really a matter of personal preference.
I don't think it is appropriate for anyone to take your photograph without your permission. It is a breach of privacy. If a person does use their phone to take your picture, you have the right to request that they delete their photo of you from it. If they refuse then you have the right to make a formal complaint to the church leadership, and if they won't take you seriously, you can tell them that you will seek legal advice concerning their aiding and abetting the abuse of your privacy.

I think that the worst cases of the abuse of privacy is when someone records videos of people worshiping the Lord in Charismatic churches and putting those recordings into the public domain on Facebook or Youtube. Churches and individuals can be taken to court and sued for megabucks for that type of abuse. And so they should be. Heresy hunting websites using unauthorised videos of worshipers speaking in tongues and having different types of manifestation without permission should be sued for all they are worth under Privacy Legislation.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I don't see what's wrong with asking them, my elders are more than fine with that. I have thought about audio recording our singing, we have some good singing folks in our congregation.

Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it is appropriate for anyone to take your photograph without your permission. It is a breach of privacy. If a person does use their phone to take your picture, you have the right to request that they delete their photo of you from it. If they refuse then you have the right to make a formal complaint to the church leadership, and if they won't take you seriously, you can tell them that you will seek legal advice concerning their aiding and abetting the abuse of your privacy.

I think that the worst cases of the abuse of privacy is when someone records videos of people worshiping the Lord in Charismatic churches and putting those recordings into the public domain on Facebook or Youtube. Churches and individuals can be taken to court and sued for megabucks for that type of abuse. And so they should be. Heresy hunting websites using unauthorised videos of worshipers speaking in tongues and having different types of manifestation without permission should be sued for all they are worth under Privacy Legislation.
Unfortunately, it's not 1950 any more and you just have to resiign yourself that you are being recorded 27/7. From the Alexa in your bedroom, to your ring doorbell, to the cam on the traffic light, to the security systems of retail. As a child of the 50's I miss my privacy, and I wish people would get my permission before taking my picture, but honestly who's got that much time any more?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, it's not 1950 any more and you just have to resiign yourself that you are being recorded 27/7. From the Alexa in your bedroom, to your ring doorbell, to the cam on the traffic light, to the security systems of retail. As a child of the 50's I miss my privacy, and I wish people would get my permission before taking my picture, but honestly who's got that much time any more?
But Privacy legislation in my country says that information received about a person has to be kept with that person's permission and has to be used for the purpose in which the person has authorised it. Breaches of the legislation can cause a offender to end up in court and possibly a prison sentence.

I saw on Facebook where someone in a particular city was videoing on the street and the police stopped him and informed him that it was a city ordinance that one could not video on the street without a formal permit.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Our phones listen to our conversations, them market to us what ever we speak about.
It's crazy.
I was playing 9 ball in our community pool room, I said to my friend ..
I missing kick shots tonight.
Sure enough a little later YouTube chimed in NEVER MISS ANOTHER KICK SHOT !
It is a gross invasion of our privacy, and it is possible for advertising to steal our intellectual property.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I don't think you're wrong in bringing up the issue. Yes if you have concerns about it leaders of churches need take it seriously and not laugh it off. If this upsets one leaders need to do everything possible to ensure the member doesn't feel violated again. I'm guessing it might be impossible though for Pastors and leaders to be in every place observing who is doing what with cameras. But they should try their best.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's also worth pointing out that church is considered a public space, which limits the privacy rights you would normally have.
You're probably right but still.....I think most Pastors would have no problem asking people to refrain from taking random pictures. I mean someone objecting might lose if it went to a court of law but who really would take it to that measure?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I've attended various functions where I needed a greater amount of security than others present and so I (and others like me) wore a red lanyard to indicate not to take pictures. People see and don't take pictures and if they do accidentally, later, browsing their pictures, if they spot a red lanyard they know not to post that picture. For example, if someone has a telephoto lens a distance away and zooms in but spots the lanyard they know to move to the next person and you avoid getting your picture taken without knowing it by explicitly declining through the lanyard. That works in a more corporate business setting but in a church maybe it's not the focus you want to take.

you could talk to the pastor about it but honestly, they may show concern but it might get back burner support, cause it's just another thing on their plate. So maybe coming to them with some ideas (like suggesting a photo free zone in the church) and even volunteering to do the work involved. The last part will probably get their attention more, it's one thing to indicate a problem, but it's another thing to say you are willing to do the work involved to fix it. You can make it a ministry of sorts and get people aware of privacy issues and that the church supports the privacy of individuals... people like that sort of thing and if you can spearhead it (especially when its a concern of yours) then you can actually get it done and see some fruit.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quite frankly I think the church should be concerned only in preaching Gods word and worshipping Him alone.

I personally see no need for this to be happening and would not go along with it.

For social media posting?? :( Yet another example of the church being worldly.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's also worth pointing out that church is considered a public space, which limits the privacy rights you would normally have.
I think that is at the root of the matter. Churches have the right to tape their service, but it ought to be done respectfully and tastefully. I'm very much against the close-up shots we see all the time of people in the audience as the preacher makes a point. When they occur I focus on the people behind them, out of respect for the person's privacy and because the other people are not under pressure to respond to the camera. You'll get a more honest take on how the audience is responding to the message.

I would go with the camera focusing mostly on the speaker, with shots of the audience without close-ups.

If you think the video crew is not doing a respectful job you should bring your discomfort up to the leadership.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's fine to bring up your concerns . Not everyone is comfortable with it. When I single, I was a member of a huge city church. For years and years and years they would publish a church directory with pictures of members with addresses. They would give these to members and also to every visitor. They would have visiting mondays where groups would make contact with and visit with people who had visited at the church the previous week and give them a visitor package with things like candy, mints, a coffee mug, various pamphlets on ministries within the church and other information, and a church directory. I declined to get my picture made and published and declined to have my address published for this. I was a single woman living alone. I had already had guys at church say weird things to me and one guy was keen to drive by my house at various times, so having my picture and address going out to just anyone that had visited the church ......I did not feel safe about it. People said unkind things to me b/c I did decline to have my picture and info published, but whatever. This was a left over tradition from a formally small town church. I grew up in a church that did the same thing. And I knew of one instance from growing up in that church where some weirdo grown man member was looking up the info of families with small children and making inappropriate phone calls when a child answered the phone. Sooooo, I think things like that have potential to do more harm than good and make for some creepy /inappropriate situations. As a married mom now, I would not allow a photo of my family be published in a church directory that corresponded with our personal info., nor would I allow pictures of my children or even myself or as a family to be published on the church's social media accounts or publications. I do think that if a church singles people out for photo publications they should ask the subject's permission.

Upvote 0