Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The human predicament is a moral one, it is not how much intelligence of doctrine or knowledge of God we have or verses of scripture we know, but whether we are in harmony with God, righteous in His sight. God identified unrighteousness from creation, if we loved God we would follow His guidance and be in harmony with His will. He set forth His definition of being in harmony with God at creation, simply follow divine instruction as it led to or was good versus that which led to or was evil, and which He gave a understanding to Adam and Eve.

It was not God’s plan for us to fall into sin and be at odds with Him. To the contrary, God created us in His image, pronounced humankind good, and wanted to enter into a relationship with Adam and Eve and all who would follow.

Adam and Eve were given all they needed to grow in an ever-closer relationship with their Creator. Do not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, God instructed them. But they chose to disobey. Adam and Eve fell not out of ignorance but out of disobedience. Christ had to die not so much to tell us we did wrong but to establish a right relationship with us.

The Bible tells us that alienation is one of the results of sin (Genesis 3:10-13). The very first thing Adam and Eve did after having disobeyed God was to flee from Him to avoid His presence. Later, when confronted by God, they failed to admit their misdeeds. Instead, they stonewalled. They pointed to each other as the culprit. As a result of their sin, they fell away from God and their son Cain went so far as to get angry with God and take it out on his brother Abel. Sin leads to the total disruption of harmony in relationships. The love in our earthly relationships depend on a strong relationship with our heavenly father, we have to be in harmony with God and His love or evil causes a total breakdown with others as sin not only seperates us from God but turns others against us as our evil nature harms them.

Being in harmony with God means being found righteous such as God found in Noah and Abraham:
Genesis 7:1
And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.

Genesis 15:6
And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Galatians 3:6
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

What evil does in disrupting the relationship between us and God is evident in the story of Sodom and Gomorah. This was a defining moment in what this seperation caused as Abraham pleaded with God to spare the city if only ten could be found in the city that were righteous.

Genesis 18:23
And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

16And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.

17And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
18Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
20And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
22And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.
23And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
25That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
26And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.
27And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD, which am but dust and ashes:
28Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
29And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
30And he said unto him, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
31And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
32And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake. 33And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

Notice the argument that Abraham uses, that God must be just in his justice:

Genesis 18:25
That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

Even the mighty Pharoah acknowledge his sin that he had done wrong against God and His purpose:

Exodus 9:27
And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the LORD is righteous, and I and my people are wicked.

Now comes the interesting part, can we make mistakes in life and still be righteous before God, can our sins be forgiven if we follow what God wants and we are in harmony with Him. Lets look at what Solomon says about the alduterer and murderer that still loved God and repented:

1 Kings 3:6
And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day.

God is not only the Creator of all that is. God is like a tree that unites all branches. Sin sets us apart from Him, being apart from God there is no unity or harmony. He lays out the law of love that like the law of gravity keeps us rooted and is consistent in its purpose. We must understand that to be in harmony with God we must be righteous, not only in spirit but in what it bears fruit, our actions. Jesus made clear that we needed to have righteousness and He would provide it, but it also was a action within a person that might cause them to be persecuted:
  1. Matthew 5:6
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    Matthew 5:5-7 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Matthew 5:10
    Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  3. Matthew 6:33
    But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Righteous would be added to those who sought to be in harmony with God. Without God, we lose more than just direction and purpose in our lives, there is a loss of His love, we are alone. This is what Christ experienced on the cross: the absence of the presence of God.

A second consequence of sin is condemnation (Romans 5:18). As those who knowingly disobey God, we have incurred the judgment of God. The law defines and lays claim against us, showing our seperation from God and His love. A legal status of guilty of sin is pronounced upon us, showing our slavery to sin. Sin not only disrupts our relationship with God; it also leaves us inclined against God and weakened with a propensity toward sin. Jesus tells us to hear his words and understand them:

Matthew 13:43
Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Adam and Eve set us on a course from which we on our own strength cannot depart. We stand condemned. “The wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). Fortunately, sin and death do not have the last word. Paul continues in the same verse with the good news: “But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord”, this is the triumph of the cross. We have a loving God who does not want to let us go. And so He sent his only Son to die for us.

“Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous” (Romans 5: 18, 19). Christ triumphed over sin while nailed to the cross, and His resurrection left no doubt about His victory. This is indeed good news that we are not alone. God is truly with us. For in dying on the cross, Christ exiled alienation. He has made it possible for us to be at one with Him and He is reconciling the world to Himself (2 Corinthians 5:19). He brought us back in harmony (righteous) with God, and His Holy Spirit comes to cleanse our hearts and minds to transform us so we can live in harmony (righteous) before God. By faith in Jesus Christ we accept His righteousness, we must be careful not to count it as our own work and by faith let the Spirit continue its divine puspose to transform our hearts and minds into harmony (righteous) with God:

Galatians 5:5
For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

God does not see a guilty verdict stamped on our hearts. Rather He sees Christ’s robe of righteousness. “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus…, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit” (Romans 8:1, 4).

We shall continue to struggle with our fallenness (see Romans 7) because we are powerless to do good on our own. But God can transform and empower us to be in harmony (righteous) with Him, if we allow Him. Indeed, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13).

All have sinned and brought into disharmony with God, and with the Evil one still tempting us, we may fall, but we need not remain fallen. God’s grace is sufficient to lift us up and help us to continue our transformation into a being in harmony (righteous) with God.... Excerpts from Facing sin by David A. Pendleton.

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟18,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we get righteous?

Romans 9
“30What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness.32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law.”

Righteousness is not found in keeping the law or rules, but by faith. You can attempt to attain righteousness by your works, but you will fail.

Romans 10“3For being ignorant of the righteousness that God ascribes [which makes one acceptable to Him in word, thought, and deed] and seeking to establish a righteousness (a means of salvation) of their own, they did not obey or submit themselves to God's righteousness.”

Righteousness if found in Him. The righteousness that God ascribes is through faith.

“4 For Christ is the end of the Law [the limit at which it ceases to be, for the Law leads up to Him Who is the fulfillment of its types, and in Him the purpose which it was designed to accomplish is fulfilled. That is, the purpose of the Law is fulfilled in Him] as the means of righteousness (right relationship to God) for everyone who trusts in and adheres to and relies on Him. 5For Moses writes that the man who [can] practice the righteousness (perfect conformity to God's will) which is based on the Law [with all its intricate demands] shall live by it.”

If you attempt to attain your own righteousness by works, you will have to live by them.

Philippians 3: 9 says “9And that I may [actually] be found and known as in Him, not having any [self-achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law's demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [truly] right standing with God, which comes from God by [saving] faith.

Righteousness does not come from our works, but from faith. Faith is not a work.

Jeremiah 23 ““ That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness;
A King shall reign and prosper,
And execute judgment and righteousness in the earth.
6 In His days Judah will be saved,
And Israel will dwell safely;
Now this is His name by which He will be called:

THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS

He is our righteousness.:clap: :clap:

1 Corinthians 1 “30But it is from Him that you have your life in Christ Jesus, Whom God made our Wisdom from God, [revealed to us a knowledge of the divine plan of salvation previously hidden, manifesting itself as] our Righteousness [thus making us upright and putting us in right standing with God], and our Consecration [making us pure and holy], and our Redemption [providing our ransom from eternal penalty for sin].”

He made us righteous and holy. How? By faith we receive His righteousness and holiness.

2 Corinthians 5 “20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”

He became sin for us so that we might have His righteousness!!

Romans 8 “9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.”

The Spirit is there because of His righteousness. The Spirit of God cannot exist with sin. The Spirit of God is in me because He became my sin and gave me His right-standing. Praise God!!

1. Matthew 5:6
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    Matthew 5:5-7 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Matthew 5:10
    Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
  3. Matthew 6:33
    But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Righteous would be added to those who sought to be in harmony with God. Without God, we lose more than just direction and purpose in our lives, there is a loss of His love, we are alone. This is what Christ experienced on the cross: the absence of the presence of God.

Matthew 5 “6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.” Filled by whom? Are they filled by doing works, or by faith in God?
Matthew 5:10 yes we are blessed when we are persecuted for doing the right thing. This blessing is not salvation. Look at Matthew 5:12 “12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

The reward is not heaven, it is in heaven.

Matthew 6:33 Righteousness is not what is added to those who seek first the kingdom of God. If you look at the context there you will see what is added. “31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”

It is the needs in life that are added. It is not righteousness. We are to do things God’s way and focus on God’s plan for our life and He will make sure our needs are met.

By faith in Jesus Christ we accept His righteousness, we must be careful not to count it as our own work and by faith let the Spirit continue its divine puspose to transform our hearts and minds into harmony (righteous) with God:

Galatians 5:5
For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

This text is not saying we are waiting for righteousness, but waiting for the hope of righteousness by faith that we already have. Look at the 2 surrounding verses:
Galatians 5:4-6 “4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.”

Again it emphasizes that works do not mean anything regarding our righteousness, but only faith working through love.

Christ is OUR righteousness. It is not our work that counts toward salvation, but His work. When we come to Christ we die and our new life is hidden in Him.

Colossians 3 " 3For [as far as this world is concerned] you have died, and your [new, real] life is hidden with Christ in God."

Upvote 0

Sleaker

Victory of the People
Sep 9, 2006
Portland, OR
Visit site
✟15,788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In Hebrews Abraham's Faith was counted to him as Righteousness, but not before his faith pushed him into action. Abraham's faith would not have been faith if he never obeyed God. So.. Faith isn't faith if you don't obey. Faith is so bold and moving that if it does not produce works it can't be counted as faith.

Agree/Disagree? Just want some thoughts since I was just thinking about those statements..

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟18,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Hebrews Abraham's Faith was counted to him as Righteousness, but not before his faith pushed him into action. Abraham's faith would not have been faith if he never obeyed God. So.. Faith isn't faith if you don't obey. Faith is so bold and moving that if it does not produce works it can't be counted as faith.

Agree/Disagree? Just want some thoughts since I was just thinking about those statements..

Abraham's faith was accounted to him as righteousness. That was BEFORE he took Isaac his son to the mountain. That was before he even had a son. He had faith in what God told him.

You can obey without faith. Look at the Israelites and the teachers of the Law in Jesus' day. They were full of obeying rules, but Jesus called them a faithless and perverse generation.

Faith is the basis of our relationship. We enter into the relationship by faith and stay in the relationship by faith. Good works result from the work of God within us. Works are only fruit of the faith.

Upvote 0

Sleaker

Victory of the People
Sep 9, 2006
Portland, OR
Visit site
✟15,788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ahh but what did they had faith in? The Pharisees and teachers of the Law had faith in their own ability, they had faith placed in their own works. This is why Proverbs says that knowledge puffs up.. You begin to put your faith in yourself. I see a distinction here between where the pharisees put their faith and where Abraham did. see the Pharisees faith pushed them into action, we see this in how they dealt with other people. They had so much faith in their belief system that they pushed it onto everyone around them. But Abraham had so much Faith in God it pushed him into action, he knew what God had promised and because of the faith he placed in God it led him to offer Isaac, knowing that God was bigger than death.

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟18,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahh but what did they had faith in? The Pharisees and teachers of the Law had faith in their own ability, they had faith placed in their own works. This is why Proverbs says that knowledge puffs up.. You begin to put your faith in yourself. I see a distinction here between where the pharisees put their faith and where Abraham did. see the Pharisees faith pushed them into action, we see this in how they dealt with other people. They had so much faith in their belief system that they pushed it onto everyone around them. But Abraham had so much Faith in God it pushed him into action, he knew what God had promised and because of the faith he placed in God it led him to offer Isaac, knowing that God was bigger than death.

I agree:thumbsup: Faith results in action.

Righteousness does not come by works, but by faith. Good works are the fruit of faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟18,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but what I'm suggesting is that a Faith that doesn't push one into action is a dead faith. And if the faith is a dead faith it cannot be counted to one as Righteousness. Does that make any sense?

I see what you are saying. I think we are pretty much saying the same thing.

Dead faith isn't dead because there were no actions, it is dead because there was no faith. Faith is reflected in our actions. The actions of themselves do not count for righteousness, but the faith behind those actions.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like the "dead faith" description, it works on many levels.......

1. James 2:18
    Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
    James 2:17-19 (in Context) James 2 (Whole Chapter)
  2. James 2:20
    But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    James 2:19-21 (in Context) James 2 (Whole Chapter)
  3. James 2:22
    Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    James 2:21-23 (in Context) James 2 (Whole Chapter)
  4. James 2:24
    Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only

Upvote 0

Sleaker

Victory of the People
Sep 9, 2006
Portland, OR
Visit site
✟15,788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see what you are saying. I think we are pretty much saying the same thing.

Dead faith isn't dead because there were no actions, it is dead because there was no faith. Faith is reflected in our actions. The actions of themselves do not count for righteousness, but the faith behind those actions.

Sort of, as reddogs quoted out of James, I see the relationship between Faith and action (works) so intertwined that if you remove one of them from the whole, then the other is dead. Works without faith does not please God, while Faith without works is dead Faith. This would make it impossible for Faith to be counted as Righteousness without works following through.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.