United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Does it drive anyone else nuts?!?

I am nearly 27, not a "kid," and haven't been for some time, and find it rather condescending.

Maybe I'm overreacting lol

Also, I much prefer the term "child" or "children" when referring to children.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I am nearly 27, not a "kid," and haven't been for some time, and find it rather condescending.

I used to feel the same way and don't do it myself because of that. I now am old enough I am called "Sir" quite often, which feels strange, but I'm also old enough to hardly care.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Following on with a more serious note, I think it depends on the way it's said, and by whom. Your Grandfather, for example, could call you that as a term of affection; but your boss, who's maybe only 10 years older, would be showing disrespect by saying that.
So just like Bible verses, I guess, context is important.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm very careful not to refer to anyone past high school age as a "kid". I agree that it's inappropriate and condescending.

It's been a long time since I was a "kid" in anyone's eyes, but I remember being in my early 20s, and not quite being sure if I had the right to think of myself as an adult. I got started early on imposter syndrome. :) So I keep that in mind when I speak of, and speak to, adults in their 20s.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I try not to take insult with it because I look quite a bit younger than I am. As for your second point, I am reminded of my late second-grade teacher who used to insist on reserving the term "kid" for young goats to prevent confusion. It's a valid point, imo.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

React back.

Sorry were you referring to me?

As I am not a child I asumed you were talking to somebody else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think likely you are over acting .... the word itself is not condescending ... but could be used in a condescending manner. My son is 40 .... I sometimes refer to him as "kiddo" .... he's my "kid" and always will be ;o) He don't have a problem with it. It's a term of endearment actually.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I try not to take insult with it because I look quite a bit younger than I am. As for your second point, I am reminded of my late second-grade teacher who used to insist on reserving the term "kid" for young goats to prevent confusion. It's a valid point, imo.
I agree. I do look very young.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think likely you are over acting .... the word itself is not condescending ... but could be used in a condescending manner. My son is 40 .... I sometimes refer to him as "kiddo" .... he's my "kid" and always will be ;o) He don't have a problem with it. It's a term of endearment actually.
ok.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm very careful not to refer to anyone past high school age as a "kid". I agree that it's inappropriate and condescending.

It's been a long time since I was a "kid" in anyone's eyes, but I remember being in my early 20s, and not quite being sure if I had the right to think of myself as an adult. I got started early on imposter syndrome. :) So I keep that in mind when I speak of, and speak to, adults in their 20s.
Thanks. I am well past high school age, and I appreciate that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I still haven't seen that movie yet! It's on my list of movies I need to watch ASAP! :)
It is a good movie. I didn't rate it as high as others but still worth a watch. African Queen is just as good IMO.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RoanokeIllinois

God is real, and I am not him.
Sep 7, 2022
Roanoke
✟2,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Growing up, most of thee times, I would always hang out with people whom were older than myself. The older I got, the older the people I would hang out with, seemed to get. By the time I was around 18, the average age of the people I was hanging out with, was between 45-65.

I would constantly get called kid, and the older guys would say things to me like, You're just a kid, you have tons of energy. and... I wish I was your age again, I'd do this and do that. and... I have shoes older than you. Several other things on a regular basis. I just got use to it after awhile, and it kinda made me smile sometimes, because it reminded me of better times, and the olden days. Old school.

To me, it is a right of passage, so to speak.

to me an example of this is, that too many millennials now adays, just demand honor, and they demand respect from everyone, including the older generation.

But that aint how life is suppose to work, and that is a major issue with the younger generation. ya see, back then, i disliked it as well, I would sit there, and not say anything in return. But now, I value it all, and appreciate that I went threw it.

there is a saying that goes: ya gatta give respect to get it.
and another one that says respect is earned. I'm guessing that, when they were younger, they went threw some of the same thing, to at least some degree. It's almost traditional so to speak.

Most older people in my mind, aren't going to say such things to someone that they wouldn't consider a friend. So, technically, I do believe it is a compliment.

I just turned 36, and if I ever get called a kid, at this point in my life, I consider it a compliment. And anyone 20 years or older than me, in real life, first hand, face to face, that I know, I take it as a compliment.

now if a complete stranger does it, I'm not sure. I'd still just shut my mouth, because I believe, even the Bible says something about respecting our elders. Which actually makes me question materialism, and the liberal democrat media teaching millennials to act the way that they do.

at the end of the day, I try and have a pay-it-forward type mentality, and do things for others, without expecting anything in return. I try and say yes sir, yes ma'am. Open doors for people, no matter how they look. I'm far from perfect, and I sin, but I try and stay as humble as I can, and ask God for strength, and his forgiveness. He forgives, and I start another day.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I used to feel the same way and don't do it myself because of that. I now am old enough I am called "Sir" quite often, which feels strange, but I'm also old enough to hardly care.
I don't mind being called "Sir," it doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0