being called a "Jesus freak"..persecution?

pinkputter

unending love, amazing grace
May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
I was just recently told that I'm a "jesus freak" what exactly does that mean?

Is that persecution from someone? It's a name based on our relationship with the Lord intended to hurt us

How would you react if someone called you that?

My first impression is, thank you!

But I know that is not how the person saying it intends for it to be..

The funny thing about this person who called me that is he is a PK!!(preacher's kid)

Do they have fear about their identity in Christ? Should I not be friends with someone who doesn't appreciate my religion?

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is a projection of a stereotype in which the target is a bible thumper, born again over zealous Christian.

Here is another definition that came from the hippie movements of the 60s/70s:

Jesus freak
n (Music) Informal a member of any of various Christian groups that combine a hippy communal way of life with zealous evangelicalism

Edit: This person does not seem open to your way of life let alone supporting. Does not sound like friend material unless you are hoping to have him understand, learn from and adapt your ways (conversion).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sailorgirl13

Saved by Grace
Dec 12, 2011
Australia
✟7,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From my perspective I would say it is either a compliment or an insult.
It all depends how he/she said it. Being a PK doesn't mean he is secure or confident in their own faith and likely as not they are still learning about dealing with others in a chrstian way.

To me, it was probably intended as an insult, sparked by jealousy, but I would take it as a compliment because it reflects your passion and devotion to Christ.

Don't worry I was bullied severely because of my faith and it makes you stronger.

And as for being friends with him, forgive him: it might have been a bad day and he lashed out. If it continues I would speak to him about it. Maybe it's your job to show him forgiveness and help him through this part of hs journey :)

You're in my prayers

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
It is a projection of a stereotype in which the target is a bible thumper, born again over zealous Christian.

Here is another definition that came from the hippie movements of the 60s/70s:

Jesus freak
n (Music) Informal a member of any of various Christian groups that combine a hippy communal way of life with zealous evangelicalism

Edit: This person does not seem open to your way of life let alone supporting. Does not sound like friend material unless you are hoping to have him understand, learn from and adapt your ways (conversion).

well, i don't consider myself a bible thumper. in reality, i talk about my faith very little. i feel like faith is meant to be lived and not talked. however... around my close friends i am open about my faith. it is a deep part of who i am so i don't hide it.

i have known this boy for years now. and up till now i thought we were on the same playing field. i thought faith was an important part of both our lives and that we were both open to it. i feel like he is looking of ways to bring me down. when brought to his attention, he did apologize, but it really opened my eyes where he was in his walk or our friendship.

i don't think there is need for conversion. he's very aware and even open to Jesus as his Savior. But when i asked him what he considers himself he answered, "a sinner." i think it comes down to if he wants to "go and sin no more" as Jesus instructs. "sinning" shouldn't define us as Christians

Upvote 0

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
From my perspective I would say it is either a compliment or an insult.
It all depends how he/she said it. Being a PK doesn't mean he is secure or confident in their own faith and likely as not they are still learning about dealing with others in a chrstian way.

To me, it was probably intended as an insult, sparked by jealousy, but I would take it as a compliment because it reflects your passion and devotion to Christ.

Don't worry I was bullied severely because of my faith and it makes you stronger.

And as for being friends with him, forgive him: it might have been a bad day and he lashed out. If it continues I would speak to him about it. Maybe it's your job to show him forgiveness and help him through this part of hs journey :)

You're in my prayers

Thank you so much! your kindness and understanding really helped me. I told him that I forgive him but I also made sure he knew it was hurtful. Like I mentioned above, I've noticed he finds ways to bring me down, this was just another of those, but pretty personal and related to my faith (our faith) it was hurtful from a personal perspective, but also damaging bec no real Christian should name call another believer for being.........Christian.

your prayers are so appreciated. i am sorry you went through that bec of your faith. a verse that has really helped me is in Philipians and it says i consider everything a loss as comparing Christ Jesus our Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. it makes you realize no matter what happens, we are so blessed from knowing Him. i really hate to see things like this happen, but we know God will also sustain us

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It could be classified as mockery, not persecution, but it also could be said light heartedly or if by one christian toward another it could even be construed as a compliment. Really depends on the motive of the person, but at worse I could not classify it as persecution only mockery which is related to persecution but not the same

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinkputter

May 21, 2007
United States
✟10,504.00
Faith
Christian
It could be classified as mockery, not persecution, but it also could be said light heartedly or if by one christian toward another it could even be construed as a compliment. Really depends on the motive of the person, but at worse I could not classify it as persecution only mockery which is related to persecution but not the same

No no, thank you. It's the same opinion but it helps to hear others input.

you also brought up mockery which is a new topic. i knew it was disrespectful, just not what exactly to call it. I'm not sure I understand what persecution is. I also don't really know if i have ever been persecuted, but i do know i have suffered as a result of letting Christ be Lord of my life. Goodness in this world unfortunately doesn't go unopposed, and Christ is truly the source of any and all Goodness.

Standing up for what is right (following your identity in Christ and standing firm in your faith) always attracts opposition it seems. Is this persecution?
Or maybe oppression is a more accurate term..

Upvote 0

lemon-aid stand

Sep 12, 2011
canada
✟422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is that persecution from someone? It's a name based on our relationship with the Lord intended to hurt us

The funny thing about this person who called me that is he is a PK!!(preacher's kid)

Do they have fear about their identity in Christ? Should I not be friends with someone who doesn't appreciate my religion?

get over it.. how about those pour souls living and dying in countries that are not tolerable of the faith.. these people are put to death.. and you are upset because someone called you a Jesus Freak.. hard to believe we are on the same team..

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been called many disrespectful names over the years but I must say since the "new age" atheists have taken over YouTube the insults have gotten more and more blasphemous. Most of these insults cannot be repeated but the main one i get is "religotard". Creative,eh??
I recall in my scripture study reading that Christians are to expect persecution and to practically relish in it. This is hard to do most times. I experiance some type of insult every day for my beliefs. I hope I never get to the point that the insults don't affect me for then I wouldn't have that reminder that all Christians need,which is that we need to remember to seperate ourselves from the world. Wear that "Jesus freak" badge proudly!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
M

Markusanthem

Yes, whomever said that to you meant it as a bad name.

But we are blessed when people persecute us for Jesus. Jesus wants people who are on fire for him.

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Upvote 0

wholigan11

Jun 21, 2012
✟8,267.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A couple of months ago I had been talking with a friend and he had referred to someone as a Jesus Freak and I was stunned he had said that.

The only other time I had heard that word was on a TV show last year. It's meant to be an insult towards Christians but we should take it as a compliment. I take it as a compliment.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians do not have the right to be offended or hurt when they are insulted for their faith. I makes your faith look weak. Look what happened to Jesus and how he responded. And we don't need to "defend" God. He's perfectly capable of defending Himself.

Upvote 0