hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You know we are outraged and shocked by those persecutions of Christians by ISIS and other Islamic extremists.
But medical people have said (I don't know how they know) that the consciousness is only for less than a minute until the brain is starved of oxygen.
I say this because I have realised that most (if not all) of those Christians of my acquaintance that have gone to the Lord recently really suffered. This technologically advanced and medically caring society has put them all through years of deterioration and many hospital visits and changes of treatment, with pain only just being kept at bay by powerful drugs.
Then there is all the praying and false hopes and extensions and apparent remissions...
It is with sadness I remember a friend who was dragged off to palliative care for six months of chemical treatment to sink into coma and incoherence away from her beloved garden and house in France.
Another friend has resisted the idea that it has to be this way. (She has parents in their 80s). But doctors say that old people these days multiple present with ailments. This means the last years become medical fire-fighting. It sobered her up.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Being beheaded is not so bad.
You know we are outraged and shocked by those persecutions of Christians by ISIS and other Islamic extremists.
But medical people have said (I don't know how they know) that the consciousness is only for less than a minute until the brain is starved of oxygen.
I say this because I have realised that most (if not all) of those Christians of my acquaintance that have gone to the Lord recently really suffered. This technologically advanced and medically caring society has put them all through years of deterioration and many hospital visits and changes of treatment, with pain only just being kept at bay by powerful drugs.
Then there is all the praying and false hopes and extensions and apparent remissions...
It is with sadness I remember a friend who was dragged off to palliative care for six months of chemical treatment to sink into coma and incoherence away from her beloved garden and house in France.
Another friend has resisted the idea that it has to be this way. (She has parents in their 80s). But doctors say that old people these days multiple present with ailments. This means the last years become medical fire-fighting. It sobered her up.

Are you recommending be-heading as a solution?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

Luke50

May 9, 2017
-
✟19,750.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:10

"Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
Matthew 10:28

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Brilliant!
Euthanasia by guillotine.
That should be easy to sell.
OB

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think most people if they were to choose a way to die, they would choose the quickest and most painless. That said who knows what you feel after having your head cutoff. Maybe you feel extreme pain. Or maybe you are in such shock that you feel nothing. Though it also depens on what kind of beheading. Some literally cut your head off and it takes way to long in terms of pain. And a swift cut doesn't always work and the blade gets stuck. Ick.

From what I've seen and read lethal injection is pain free. Thats probably the best option, granted its not something you can choose from since our deaths we have no control over.

Though as others have said are you suggesting beheading be a new thing? o_O

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't really know what your point is in this OP.

But when ISIS beheads people, they do it slowly to create the greatest possible amount of pain.

Back in the 70s when an assassin murdered King Faisel of Saudi Arabia, they executed the assassin with an expert headsman who accomplished the beheading with three cuts, the first two being precise to create excruciating pain without numbing shock.

There certainly is room for Christians to discuss how we approach death. As one pastor has said, "Christians spend more time praying to keep people out of heaven than we spend praying to get them into heaven."

There is a kind of eerie song by Crystal Lewis, "Healing Oil," which is of an old woman nearing death, having lived a good life, but at the end is physically tired and in pain. She's thankful for the life the Lord has given her, but at this point she's ready for the next step, seeing Him face to face.

My mother suffered a head injury in an auto accident while out in Oklahoma City in 2001. She actually went to the hospital for observation apparently having suffered no injury, but during the night she had several brain hemorrhages and was unresponsive the next morning.

They put her on life support as I and a couple of her sisters got to the city. They advised us that she was essentially brain dead ("Her frontal lobes will be reduced to nothing but scar tissue" the neurosurgeon stated). But Oklahoma law and the family wouldn't allow her to be removed from life support at that point.

Two weeks later, with no frontal lobe activity, we did remove her from life support. By that time, her brain had recovered just enough to maintain body functions, but nothing more. She did seem to have vague "awake" and "asleep" states, and she had autonomous reactions to acute physical stimuli (stick her arm with a pin and that arm would flinch), but nothing more.

And that was her state for the next eight years. One of my aunts and her husband moved into her home to care for her.

My youngest aunt always maintained that my mother was conscious that entire time. The aunt who cared for her and I did not. I did not want to think that my vibrant, outgoing, mother was conscious and trapped in an immobile body.

Quick story: When I was stationed in Honolulu in the 70s, my mother came to visit. We were wandering a shopping center and she spied television actor Khigh Dhiegh, who played the villain Wo Fat on "Hawaii Five-O" at the time.

She walked right up to him and began conversation. She kept talking (and I was checking my watch) until Mr Dhiegh graciously invited us to lunch. That's the kind of woman she was. That she was trapped conscious in an immobile, mute body...nope, I didn't want to think about that.

As a Christian, what I did not know and could not know was: Where was her spirit?

The apostle Paul had written, "...to live is Christ, to die is gain." But that alive/dead binary concept supposes that while alive one is able to purse the Commission, to live for Christ, at the very least, to be able to pray.

But if there isn't even that....

Her body eventually died, essentially, of old age. It just began shutting down.

If the situation were different, knowing what I know now, with the diagnosis being "her frontal lobes are just scar tissue," I'd have had her taken off life support sooner rather than later. We may have the science to keep a body functioning, but there is no God in that. If He intends to work a miracle, He'll work a miracle...and all the better without extreme medical interventions to take the credit.

And if not...to die is gain.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But when ISIS beheads people, they do it slowly to create the greatest possible amount of pain.

Back in the 70s when an assassin murdered King Faisel of Saudi Arabia, they executed the assassin with an expert headsman who accomplished the beheading with three cuts, the first two being precise to create excruciating pain without numbing shock.

There certainly is room for Christians to discuss how we approach death. As one pastor has said, "Christians spend more time praying to keep people out of heaven than we spend praying to get them into heaven."

There is a kind of eerie song by Crystal Lewis, "Healing Oil," which is of an old woman nearing death, having lived a good life, but at the end is physically tired and in pain. She's thankful for the life the Lord has given her, but at this point she's ready for the next step, seeing Him face to face.

My mother suffered a head injury in an auto accident while out in Oklahoma City in 2001. She actually went to the hospital for observation apparently having suffered no injury, but during the night she had several brain hemorrhages and was unresponsive the next morning.

They put her on life support as I and a couple of her sisters got to the city. They advised us that she was essentially brain dead ("Her frontal lobes will be reduced to nothing but scar tissue" the neurosurgeon stated). But Oklahoma law and the family wouldn't allow her to be removed from life support at that point.

Two weeks later, with no frontal lobe activity, we did remove her from life support. By that time, her brain had recovered just enough to maintain body functions, but nothing more. She did seem to have vague "awake" and "asleep" states, and she had autonomous reactions to acute physical stimuli (stick her arm with a pin and that arm would flinch), but nothing more.

And that was her state for the next eight years. One of my aunts and her husband moved into her home to care for her.

My youngest aunt always maintained that my mother was conscious that entire time. The aunt who cared for her and I did not. I did not want to think that my vibrant, outgoing, mother was conscious and trapped in an immobile body.

Quick story: When I was stationed in Honolulu in the 70s, my mother came to visit. We were wandering a shopping center and she spied television actor Khigh Dhiegh, who played the villain Wo Fat on "Hawaii Five-O" at the time.

She walked right up to him and began conversation. She kept talking (and I was checking my watch) until Mr Dhiegh graciously invited us to lunch. That's the kind of woman she was. That she was trapped conscious in an immobile, mute body...nope, I didn't want to think about that.

As a Christian, what I did not know and could not know was: Where was her spirit?

The apostle Paul had written, "...to live is Christ, to die is gain." But that alive/dead binary concept supposes that while alive one is able to purse the Commission, to live for Christ, at the very least, to be able to pray.

If the situation were different, knowing what I know now, with the diagnosis being "her frontal lobes are just scar tissue," I'd have had her taken off life support sooner rather than later. We may have the science to keep a body functioning, but there is no God in that. If He intends to work a miracle, He'll work a miracle...and all the better without extreme medical interventions to take the credit.

"Christians spend more time praying to keep people out of heaven than we spend praying to get them into heaven."

This part here is so true, Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us, much appreciated and not to be forgotten :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What in blue Hades is this thread about?
I suppose now that you have read people reacting to and replying thoughtfully to this topic, you have some idea what this thread is about.
It is about our modern age inflicting more suffering spiritual, emotional and physical on believers than bygone ones because the suffering is so drawn out. Being killed for being believers is not the ultimate horror that we paint it, although being tortured may approach it. When I think of the last friend passing away, after months and months of cancer and family prayer angst, I wonder whether our modern technological age is more hostile to the things of eternity than we realise.

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thank you very much for that. You have described far better than I have what many of us have experienced. Yes I know there is hope and faith and miraculous witness but often there is coma and a sub-existence that says nothing of spiritual hope. I pray for my spouse that God will take her quickly when the time comes...

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
suppose now that you have read people reacting to and replying thoughtfully to this topic, you have some idea what this thread is about.
Personally I'm still lost as to the point, but if ya talk to me like on a lower level with not such big words, usually I can chime right in, I think we followed anything that made some sense to us, no harm intended.

. I pray for my spouse that God will take her quickly when the time comes...
So your wife is sick? Obviously she's in bad shape, can you explain your thoughts and feelings? I'm sorry she is sick and will pray for her, explain what your thinking and I will try my best to grasp your point.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Technologically advanced civilizations do not constitute morally just, rightfully fair society - especially not for everyone. Since Sumer, advanced civilization has ways had a saturation point it quickly reaches before the next short-lived paradigm shift occurs.

And, my family is very involved in healthcare over a spread of disciplines; there are many nightmare stories of neglect, greed and corruption. This shouldn't necessarily be news; we give up things we later find are valuable in order to obtain, and maintain the technological and progressive status quo. This world society isn't new to that game. It is unfortunate.

However, given that we believe all of that is possible, you can be assured your OP topic isn't so appealing. In the past when it was done on a mass scale, a lot of times the blade was blunt; the beheadings became more of a "hack job" on the back of the neck, and often the guard would just use their weapon to finish the job. It isn't pretty, and there is no reason to assume that it would be pretty(ier) today.

I worry that advancement in technology categorically introduces more ways to "wholly torture" a person - even without realizing it. I remember seeing a story about a Texas firefighter (captain) that fought a huge fire, and lost several of his teammates - I think all of them eventually. He was BARELY surviving - he needed a machine to live, and when he was "medically" cleared, he still couldn't speak, eat on his own, walk, and he was burned over 90% of his body. He died four months later, and his son remarked at the funeral that his dad had finally been freed. I can't imagine the dimensions of torment he faced. Besides the physical pain, the psychological pain of not being able to function on your own must have been incredible. And, considering he was a captain, his heart was probably broken several times over - as I would imagine he would have rather died/fallen with his brothers and sisters in arms, rather than be the soul survivor with the guilt - and none of your own faculties anyway.

I get your point about the topic of the OP method, subjectively. It does seem like compared to today's totures, tortures of days past don't seem so "drawn out."

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose now that you have read people reacting to and replying thoughtfully to this topic, you have some idea what this thread is about.
It is about our modern age inflicting more suffering spiritual, emotional and physical on believers than bygone ones because the suffering is so drawn out. Being killed for being believers is not the ultimate horror that we paint it, although being tortured may approach it. When I think of the last friend passing away, after months and months of cancer and family prayer angst, I wonder whether our modern technological age is more hostile to the things of eternity than we realise.

There is some solace I can give you in this thread, now that I know where you were going. Rest assured that ANY suffering we go through while remaining faithful to Christ will not go unrecognized and unrecorded. We tend to think of only enduring persecution as being worthy of reward, but this is not the case at all. And as you seem to have been suggesting, enduring years and years of suffering as opposed to a few agonizing minutes of beheading is certainly worth more in the eyes of God where faithfulness is concerned.

My apologies for not fully understanding what you were saying earlier.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally I'm still lost as to the point, but if ya talk to me like on a lower level with not such big words, usually I can chime right in, I think we followed anything that made some sense to us, no harm intended.

So your wife is sick? Obviously she's in bad shape, can you explain your thoughts and feelings? I'm sorry she is sick and will pray for her, explain what your thinking and I will try my best to grasp your point.
You are a big-hearted person. Thanks. No my wife is not I'll, just has a few of those typically symptoms of getting on a bit. But we are thinking about a living will to prevent unnatural extension of life. I am not morbid at all, just realistic about this implication of living in the 21st century. Just sitting in the garden this morning before going to church, I know how beautiful life is, even saw a kite just above the roofs. Then I thought about how that lady was removed from her beloved garden and precious home for 6 months of palliative care in a room 40 kilometres away with her husband making daily round trips just watching deterioration....
Anyway, I know God is good, his people are precious ....and Adam and Eve have a lot to answer for. (Joking)

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well it's great to hear that your wife is doing well and now I can see a better picture of your original post, you were just thinking out loud and obviously pondering your thoughts, nothing wrong with doing that, I understand, although if I went on a rant or pondering thought moment, alot of people would be scratching their heads, so I will keep my thoughts inside for now lol. :eek:

And yes yes yes Adam and Eve has got alot of explaining to do....................:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0