Talie

Senior Veteran
Apr 16, 2004
Gippsland
Visit site
✟18,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I started a web design business - which is going well because I treat my clients like people - I listen, I give them what they ask for, and I do it at a really good price...

I believe strongly that my business needs to reflect the moral standards i have - standardfs that are based on my faith in God and His Word

Upvote 0
C

cedricABC

I had set up an internet company with a group of friend. I would say that we operate our company ethically as a true Christian would. By this I mean, work hard, exchange my sweat and idea for my dreams without resorting to underhand methods.

However, you must bear in mind that not everybody in this world think like me. Just recently, my company lost thousands because we were cheated by a close friend of my partner. Imagine this, for the sake of money, such thing could be done. Of course, we are in the process of sueing the other party which I can guarantee is not having a very good time. I see this lawsuit as God's way of punishing someone who went against his words. I just have to remind you that the business world is definitely not a bed of rose.

However, I firmly believe that by operating honestly and caring for others, it still the best way to succeed. I had met people who think like me and subsequently developed excellently working relationship with them. I cannot gurantee my method is the best, but I feel that I feel contented pursuing my dream in the right way. What is the point of earning all the money in the world but only to lose your soul?

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I run my own show, years ago was in retail and did not do very well. For the past few years I've run a product development firm, and as an offshoot of that have gone into low volume manufacturing.

Running your own show is great, but its also a ball and chain. Now instead of one boss, you may have a multitude of them, ranging from customers to investors. I'd have it no other way.

Its cool that you set the tone. Accounting practices are explicit, no more gamesmanship with cost shifting. Way less ethical problems... but they also have a much larger impact. As an employee, if you take the high road, it doesn't come out of your pocket. As a business owner, taking the high road cut my gross sales by a huge margin, and my employees still have to get paid... which means huge out of pocket costs for me. Thats one of the costs of running your own business, and its very easy to sell out and go with the flow, especially when it impacts your family. It really forces you to put your trust in God when such things happen.

Ron

Reactions: rainy
Upvote 0

Talie

Senior Veteran
Apr 16, 2004
Gippsland
Visit site
✟18,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Most of my clients, when they meet to me in a face to face situation usually meet with me at my other place of work, which happens to be a christian radio station! So a lot of my clients find out very early on that I'm a Christian - and I hope that the way I interact with them shows them some of what my faith is about - there's one in particular that I have spent quite a bit of time with over the past year or so and it seems she comes from a very strict catholic upbringing and because of issues with her mother she left the church at a young age (she's now in her - well, late 50s/60s) but she's dealt with a lot of people in her life and she knows that I am different in the way I handle everything I do....

beyond that, it's up to God what opportunities He may bring my way through my business

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cedric, so sad--and we have to stand our guard all the time! I think that we as Christians are more trusting, and yield power to others more often.

My husband and I both own businesses, mine at a very small scale, because I know how consuming it can become. Small businesses consume energy, attention, time, resources you could have done something more stable with...but as others have expressed, it's not about how much you've given up.

I've found a lot of instances where God has prompted me to boost another Christian in their business efforts temporarily, and I always find out later that God intervened at a perfect time. It's such an exciting walk, watching God weave in and out of things.

Upvote 0

EIChief

The Brain
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Visit site
✟16,767.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We started a missions site that will hopefully get the great work that missionaries do out in the open. I think that a lot of work goes unsupported because many Christians simply do not know it is there. We hope that Isaiah Ministries will change all of that Lord willing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pray4Sunshine

Oct 21, 2005
San Francisco
Visit site
✟15,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just started a website, MyPrayerCircle.com, a site for online prayer circles and Christian community building. It's been almost a year of hard, HARD work trying to get it off the ground, but I finally launched last week.

It's nice to think about being your own boss, but like mnphysicist says, you're really not. In fact you've got more bosses than when you worked for The Man. :) On the other hand, it's nice to be able to work from home (I get to share an office with my dog! She's such a good office companion.). I roll out of bed at 10 or so and work until 7 or 8 most nights, which suits my schedule just fine. But yeah, a LOT of work.

Upvote 0

Rmered

Nov 9, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
✟15,153.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
I've been in my own business for a few years now, and recently started a new business with a friend from Home Group.
We design local area maps for large hotels, and sell the advertising space around them.
He's the graphics guy, I'm more sales & business management oriented.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"In fact you've got more bosses than when you worked for The Man"--isn't that so! I hope your business provides enough income to keep your dream going.

The map business sounds interesting. I took a course from someone who did that years ago. Lots of effort in consistent appearance. It's really a nice service, because the maps are usually offered free to people who actually want to know more about the vendors and need to know their way around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GraceT

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
✟126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As an artist and writer, I use my gifts in my business. I just recently started Gracetreasures.com which uses my designs with Bible verse for gifts and clothes, etc. I also have an online gallery featuring my paintings of peaceful women that displays my style of painting along with Bible verses.

Upvote 0

GaryChristian

Dec 6, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,127.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I started selling Christian music and Christian movies on Ebay as a part time business. I am not making too much money, but I am having fun and feel I am reaching people and making friends with people I would never have meet. Not sure if I can add links to this forum. Let me know if this is a big no-no.

I just found this site today and it made my day. Looking forward to reading some of the great stories on this site.

Gary

Reactions: rainy
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.